DVDVR Message Board

Zimmerman Not Guilty

Lawful Metal

Basically you can shoot and kill someone in public if you feel that your life was endangered in anyway. 

But where is that in the law? I can't see where people interpret that. I just want to see the words that people are saying can allow people to shoot people on a street corner.

You must have skimmed over it:

(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Awesome, thanks. It's not that I din't believe you guys, I just wanted to see the words instead of taking people's word for it. Lots of disinformation out there, ya know. I must have totally skipped that bit, like a moron.

With that being said, that section should probably get tossed.

Does Zimmerman belong in jail? Morally and ethically, yes; legally, no. I can appreciate the passion on twitter, but keep in mind all those pussies would piss their pants if they ever saw him in person. If Zimmerman happened to be killed (I'm not advocating it) like travon martin it would be poetic justice,  not real justice. Karma is a bitch and he will pay for his actions in this life or the next(Assuming there is one). As for the politics it's just going to get worse. As the demographics in this country continue to change, and the white population continues to shrink(in proportion if not actual numbers), a certain segment of the population will fell more and more threatened. When that happens more "incidents" will occur. . . Part of that is tied up in terms of "liberal" and "conservative", but it goes deeper than that,  and in  the South, where all the slavery baggage is still present(though it will continue to very slowly fade), it may linger more and more, as other parts of the country "evolve" away from it. . . OR I am totally full of shit(which is possible)

Good post. That's definitely the big picture fallout from this whole thing.

I can't help but feel that this was, in the words of the late great Gorilla Monsoon, a miscarriage of justice.

Please provide me with the thread order posting protocol for longtime users who just registered.  I'll follow it, so no one else finds it "interesting."

Seemed like your intention was to provoke. You didn't clarify what was "embarrassing" about the thread.

It's a law for the kind of people that enjoy forcing their families to go on vacation to Old West towns.

Yeah the old west seems kind of romantic from a distance. . .by people who didn't live in the old west. :)

Good post. That's definitely the big picture fallout from this whole thing.

I can't help but feel that this was, in the words of the late great Gorilla Monsoon, a miscarriage of justice.

And by the way, the part about him not "legally" belonging in jail, references only his aquittal. . .

I honestly thought he would be convicted on Manslaughter. While the case was weak to begin with, I figured at the most with an all women jury they would feel sorry and disreguard the law and convict on Manslaughter. Everyone saying he's gotten away with murder, he hasn't gotten away with anything. From a personal standpoint he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

From a legal standpoint he's going to get sued by the family and you damn well know the DOJ will level Federal civil right's charges against him. This same exact sort of thing has happened so many times here in NYC. First with the guy who killed the kid that caused the Crown Heights riots, then a few years later after a cop got off from killing someone. Didn't the cops in the Rodney King case get ultimatley convicted of Federal Civil Rights charges?

This is just the first part of a long, long, long legal mess for him.

Zimmerman can't have Federal Civil Rights charges levied against him. He's not a government employee, nor was he acting on the governments behalf (depending on how much power the Sanford PD gave the Neighborhood Watch, which is likely little, because cops can't stand people acting like cops.)

Saying that he's still being punished because 'he'll live with this his entire life' is pretty absurd. He doesn't care. He hasn't expressed regret, or grief beyond fearing for himself. He stalked and murdered a kid. He probably thinks he's a hero.To put it clearly, he shot a child and will not be sent to jail. That's the actual meaning of getting away with it.

• Like 2

Saying that he's still being punished because 'he'll live with this his entire life' is pretty absurd. He doesn't care. He hasn't expressed regret, or grief beyond fearing for himself. He stalked and murdered a kid. He probably thinks he's a hero.To put it clearly, he shot a child and will not be sent to jail. That's the actual meaning of getting away with it.

This.  I'm one of the folks of the belief that Zimmerman highly embellished/straight up lied about what went down that night.  So why would he feel anything bad post-trial.  Makes me almost wish I believe in God.  

Guest The Magnificent 7

Seemed like your intention was to provoke. You didn't clarify what was "embarrassing" about the thread.

Maybe next time I'll try and call people pussies or tell them to go fuck themselves because I wouldn't want to provoke with my outlandish use of the word embarrassing.

Save your psychological evaluation for someone else, Niners.  I'm allowed to comment on a thread.

Glad that everyone who was predicting riots turned out to be not having enough faith in Americans.

This is one of my biggest problems with this whole case.  The reason Trayvon Martin was killed is because George Zimmerman just assumed, because he was black that he was up to no good.  The exact line of thinking that got this kid killed is just pushed forward into thinking that black people are going to go crazy when his killer is aquitted.  We haven't learned a motherfucking thing.  How about we just assume that we aren't pcychic and we have no idea what is going to happen and shut the fuck up.

I'm allowed to comment on a thread.

I'm not going to engage in battle over this. You are allowed to comment just as I am allowed to question you. If you think that sucks imagine how it must feel to be tracked and followed and stalked simply for your appearance.

Guest The Magnificent 7

What I've struggled most with during this whole sad affair is the role of the media / journalism from inception to close.  Ever since the first NBC story talked about the white-hispanic Zimmerman, this was used and abused by both "sides" of the political spectrum ad nauseum. 

Honestly, from what I saw of the trial there was little racial anything in the facts of this case to substantiate this as a potential hate crime or anything like that.  But that became the story immediately in the court of public opinion (before anyone knew any facts) for a variety of reasons.

The Nancy Grace's and Sean Hannity's of the world have gorged themselves on this case and not a damn good thing was going to come of it no matter what the outcome would be, unless you have a vested interest in television or radio ratings, or newspaper circulation numbers. 

Everyone pretty much knows that politics in this country is currently messed up beyond belief, but not enough time is spent acknowledging the 4th estate and journalism as a profession is pretty much dead. 

I found the live court feeds invaluable, and then would go read about the case from multiple sources (some right leaning, some left leaning) and wonder if journalism schools even existed and what the hell they were teaching there. 

So many people (and I'm not immune, I didn't watch every second of the trial) are basing their opinion on a reading of the facts by "journalists", most of who have an agenda or couldn't see their own huge bias for what it is.

Of course polarization is happening in this country.  It's tempting to just read stuff that agrees or feeds your worldview, and when you do read something from the other side it's usually linked to from "your" side's site, and it's usually "look what these motherfuckers are saying."

I don't know how to solve any of this shit, but I do know that media / journalism is failing and contributing to the wrecking of this country. 

Just some rambling thoughts.  It's very sad that there was a dead person and even more sad that so many people have used his body as a political or ratings football throughout the ordeal.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I'm not going to engage in battle over this. You are allowed to comment just as I am allowed to question you. If you think that sucks imagine how it must feel to be tracked and followed and stalked simply for your appearance.

I don't have to imagine it, since the very thing you have described has happened to me. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

What evidence is there that Zimmerman targetted Martin because he was black?  Zimmerman was an overeager (probably not the best word) neighborhood watch dude who called 911 something like 46 times over the years, and some of those calls he was following or reporting hispanic dudes, white dudes, black dudes, pitbulls, all all manner of things.  Most of the time on the calls he didn't say which race because he didn't know.

Zimmerman is no angel and made errors in judgment / was stupid.  He was an extreme busybody poking his nose in all sorts of stuff.  There is no evidence at all that he was racist.  Not one shred presented in this case.