DVDVR Message Board

Zimmerman Not Guilty

Lawful Metal

Only if you have $500,000 donated by "the right people" so you can afford a defense team and not a public defender.

I'd also have to change my Latino last name to a more obsure white last name.

• Like 1

In some cases, Social Media is part of the problem.  More outrage over something causes decisions to be rushed, and therefore, massive fuckups are made.

To me, the biggest problem with Twitter/Facebook is that it never feels like a discussion. It's talking AT people in slogans, and because your tweeting it out the vastly populated landscape of the internet you get the false satisfaction that you achieved something. Twitter Rage dies quickly. I remember how hot people were about Affordable Healthcare...for like 36 hrs. This Trayvon deal, which COINCIDENTALLY happened the weekend Fruitvale Station came out, will last for a while until people move on to the next deal.Twitter as a way of sharing information is GREAT. As a medium for change... Not so much. I listened to a congresswoman on C-Span a week or two ago and she said no one in DC hears about this stuff - Twitter Campaigns or E-Petitions. You gotta know your demos. She said they respond to face to face and phone calls. Social Media isn't going to work that way. People have to be more active and discuss real solutions by identifying real motives. It's to easy to call label people as gun nut or racists. We gotta look at how our country has created a system that forces us to bicker with each other over class, gender, race, sexual orientation and religion, while the elites all get rich and fat.
  • Like 1

I want to know where Flordia dug up their prosecuting attorney. How that idiot passed the bar exam I don't know. He may have dug it out of a cereal box.

I'm disappointed in our country because apparently the rights of an unarmed civilian are superceded by the rights of an armed civilian harassing the unarmed civilian. George Zimmerman was instructed by 911 to sit in his f*ckin' truck until someone got there. If he can't follow simple instructions and want to play cop, he should be held responsible for disobeying instructions and should be behind bars. But whoever the jury was in Florida was too dumb to figure that out.

• Like 1

To me, the biggest problem with Twitter/Facebook is that it never feels like a discussion. It's talking AT people in slogans, and because your tweeting it out the vastly populated landscape of the internet you get the false satisfaction that you achieved something. Twitter Rage dies quickly. I remember how hot people were about Affordable Healthcare...for like 36 hrs. This Trayvon deal, which COINCIDENTALLY happened the weekend Fruitvale Station came out, will last for a while until people move on to the next deal.Twitter as a way of sharing information is GREAT. As a medium for change... Not so much. I listened to a congresswoman on C-Span a week or two ago and she said no one in DC hears about this stuff - Twitter Campaigns or E-Petitions. You gotta know your demos. She said they respond to face to face and phone calls. Social Media isn't going to work that way. People have to be more active and discuss real solutions by identifying real motives. It's to easy to call label people as gun nut or racists. We gotta look at how our country has created a system that forces us to bicker with each other over class, gender, race, sexual orientation and religion, while the elites all get rich and fat.

The only thing that will work is violence. But people (somewhat justifiably) do not want to sacrifice their freedom to destroy garbage. 

Now it's my turn to be scared, because I agree with a lot with what you just said.

Our society is a microwave on PEDs right now.  In theory, Twitter should work for our milisecond attention spans.  Thing is, though, is that we have so much thrown at us from every direction.  And everyond is so damn loud about it.  Our wells of information are 1000 miles wide and one inch deep.  We know a lot, but not much about anything.  It's all talking points, the broadest outline possible.  It's sad yet fascinating at the same time.

Speaking of "Stand Your Ground". Did anyone see that 20/20 special on Raul Rodriguez? Basically this man used the "Stand Your Ground" law to commit murder, and filmed himself doing it.

Thankfully he was found guilty.

He killed an unarmed kid who was doing nothing and walked. I just don't understand how that works. The trial went exactly how I thought it would go but it is still killing me inside. This is affecting me way more than I thought it would.

• Like 2

He killed an unarmed kid who was doing nothing and walked. I just don't understand how that works. The trial went exactly how I thought it would go but it is still killing me inside. This is affecting me way more than I thought it would.

This shit doesn't even phase me. I'm still waiting on justice for Joe Pullum, Eddie James Stewart, Booker Wright, Fred Hampton, etc. His name just goes on a long list of others, young, old, and everything in between.

• Like 1

The people who are incurring my wrath right now are the supposedly sympathic idiots who are all "Sorry for the Martin family, but this is the right verdict, I hope they can move on with their lives."  Look, if you think the prosecution goofed or you're crazy enough to think George Zimmerman is some sort of hero, whatever.  But what gives you the fucking right to tell someone WHO LOST THEIR SON TO GUN VIOLENCE to move on?  Fuck that mentality.  Bet they wouldn't say that if it was their child.

• Like 2

Yeah, people should do more than just tweet to change a problem. They should do all they can to make their city/county/state/country a better place to live.Still, I think that's a poor reason to shit all over everybody's catharsis. In the minutes following a big moment like the Zimmerman verdict a person like myself isn't in the right state of mind to write to a senator but I can talk about it with my friends.

Tell us how a grown man murdering an unarmed teenager is a hero and not at all a pussy. God Damn, couldn't you have just stayed the fuck away.

That's not at all what I said, Vic. I have no opinion on the verdict because I wasn't in the courtroom and I refuse to try a man based on cable news. BUT, you didn't call Zimmerman a pussy. You said "gun pussies". And you are advocating the murder of the man. Just once I'd like you to disagree with someone or someones without the reactionary insane rhetoric.

The only thing that will work is violence. But people (somewhat justifiably) do not want to sacrifice their freedom to destroy garbage.

I disagree, my friend. I don't think we as people have even properly explored democracy and discourse yet. For one, we're to afraid to talk about anything logically - the gun debate is a great example on both sides. And when it gets too difficult we just want to give up and say "Well oh, yeah, you're an idiot." I know from personal experience because I'm an atheist and my wife is a devout Christian. It's fucking hard as hell to argue. I look at people who hate homosexuals and I get so angry I can't even begin to have a rational discussion about it. But we've gotta try if we really want to change minds.Using violence just replaces the oppressor with a new one. See Egypt.Furthermore, the majority of Americans suck at democracy. Millions don't even vote and the ones who do, think it's done after they pull the lever. Ask everyone you know who their Representative is in Congress. Ask them how many times they've contacted them about an issue. We're still stuck on this binary system of red or blue. We're not even looking at individual issues. It's just a blanket approval if they're a Dem or Republican. I can't approve of violence as a next step until we actually work on these issues and really EDUCATE ourselves and our friends and loved ones(by actually talking about shit instead of keeping it bottled up). If after that we're still being enslaved by the people currently in charge, then by all means blow the motherfucker up.
  • Like 3

Still, I think that's a poor reason to shit all over everybody's catharsis. In the minutes following a big moment like the Zimmerman verdict a person like myself isn't in the right state of mind to write to a senator but I can talk about it with my friends.

I apologize if I come off as shitting on you. I'm actually VERY glad people are upset. It means they care. Now let's take that visceral reaction and direct it into something constructive and positive. I just don't want people to get it all out of their system on Twitter. Which so far has been the case regarding other controversial situations.

I would say that one good thing that might come of this verdict is the repeal of the stand your ground law, which is just a weird law, but the NRA will pour a ton of money into defending it, and they're tough to beat.

I've followed the case very closely for a variety of reasons. I don't feel that the prosecution botched the case. They presented more than enough evidence to secure a manslaughter conviction. An average person of average intelligence should have been able to review the evidence and at least come back with a manslaughter. I will agree that 2nd degree murder was going to be extremely tough.

Such a sad situation. The people saying it was not about race need their head examined. Zimmerman is the one who made it about race and I feel if the roles were reversed there is no way in hell a black person gets off. It is so difficult for elderly white people to ever view a black teenager as a victim. I firmly believe that they thought "well, he must have been up to no good.."

Sad.

• Like 3

Guest The Magnificent 7

This thread has been almost as big an embarrassment as the trial was.  The media's treatment since day 1 was beyond an embarrassment.