DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Summer Struggle and Jingu Stadium 2020

Archibald

Okada/Sho/Yano vs Yujiro/Gedo/Jado was a match. And Okada suggested 1vs3 handicap match for KoPW first round match against Yujiro. So yeah, thats going to be another match.

On a more pleasant note I thought that the main event was really good and we basically got Shingo/Suzuki confirmed for Jingu show.

15 hours ago, D.Z said:

NJPW wants to build their own home arena in Tokyo. Which would seat 3000 fans max.

I have no idea how much stuff costs in Tokyo, but I'd imagine that building a 3000 people arena there should cost a fortune. It would probably be used for other Bushiroad projects as well, but still, are they doing that well? When its not even clear when we'll be able to get full crowds again.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

I'd imagine that building a 3000 people arena there should cost a fortune.

Probably, but they run something like 40 shows a year in Korakuen Hall, which I imagine is hella expensive as well. Maybe enough events to make it worth owning vs renting.

Its not like they'd run every Korakuen show in that new place since it would have ~1200 more seats. I mean, I'm sure that they aren't doing random things and have figured it out, I just find it rather surprising.

Anyway, NEVER trios titles tournament concluded and it had a great finish.

Tag titles match and Kawato/Kanemaru has been added to the main card so we now have 6 "featured" matches, thats probably enough and we might get 1 or 2 multimans to round it up.

26th Korakuen has 4 first round matches for KOPW: Okada/Yujiro, Sanada/Sho, Yano/Bushi and Kojima/Desperado. I could see Desperado beating Kojima, but other than that it will probably be Okada, Sanada and Yano. And if Okada is staying out of HW title picture then to me it looks like this is just a set up for more Okada/Sanada matches. Maybe Sanada wins here and Okada wins at the dome?

27th Korakuen has Hiromu/Naito vs Ishimori/Evil main event.

• 2 weeks later...

Evil reigns over the lands of Nihon no longer. The true king will NEVER give up. Time is up for Hiromu. Golden Aces are no match for Mephisto. The King of Pro Wrestling shall steal it like a thief in the night. Master Wato jobbed.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2

EglYR-dX0AA569j?format=jpg&name=medium

Yet to watch the show. Glad Tetsuya Naito is IWGP Heavyweight Champion and IWGP Intercontinental Champion again. Fancied Naito to reclaim them as EVIL had his big win for them and in recent times go on to lose the IWGP Heavyweight Championship shortly afterwards. See:

Kazuchika Okada wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship shocking Hiroshi Tanahashi in February 2012 and Tanahashi reclaims it in June 2012.

Tetsuya Naito wins the title in April 2016 beating Okada. Okada regains it in June 2016.

Jay White beats Tanahashi for said championship in February 2019 and Okada wins it back in April 2019.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

I guess the moral of the story is that LiJ just can't be all happy. You take some and you lose a lot.

Surprised Hiromu Takahashi lost the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship. Build towards becoming a heavyweight?

Edited by The Natural

I think it would be very weird if Hiromu in the same year got a torch from Liger and became a heavyweight. I'd like to think that they are simply building up Ishimori since Dragon Lee can't be on these shows so Hiromu/Ishimori rivalry is next best thing. And honestly I loved both of their matches and I can't say same about all Hiromu/Dragon Lee matches so it might even be for the better.

22 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Has anyone written anything about how Master Wato makes any sense? Like do they think it'll appeal to kids or something? Did Wato piss off the office? Is this his idea and he's just a weirdo? Anything?

Nope.

Anyway, coolest shit ever:

• Like 2