DVDVR Message Board

Sláinte! - SDL - 7/24/2020

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

One thing we always heard about Cena is that as opposed to every other main guy in history, he didn't protect his cronies. He didn't have a circle of guys he looked out for. What that meant was that no one was protected. You almost need that even though it's harmful in some ways too.

One thing I’m curious about is who’s even friends with Cena as far as WWE talent goes? He seems like he’d be a nice enough guy. I remember reading before that Big E and EC3 work out with him, but I don’t recall ever reading anything about any of the other guys being people he hangs out with (minus the occasional Ric Flair drinking stories). 

• Like 1

Cena made WWE a ton of money and he's legit the last guy that they had who entered the mainstream but the points about sacrificing the rest of the roster and growth potential are accurate.  

Cena had no issues losing a match or putting someone over,  he lost clean in the middle to Bryan,  he came out of the Punk feud looking like Punk was the better guy I felt,  he agreed to be demolished by Brock,  he also pretty much put over AJ Styles as a legit dude when others probably would have tried to big league AJ.. 

But it's the company that doesn't invest. Maybe they had reasons for Bryan (health) or AJ Styles (age) but the only two guys they've really gotten behind in the last ten years are Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns.  

They ended up making all of the same mistakes with Reigns as they did Cena but Reigns wasn't able to overcome the backlash as Cena did.  Brock was just a part timer but they protected him like he was Hogan in the 80's.  

They still have one of the most talented rosters I've seen but they are just so creatively bankrupt and I say that as someone who has been enjoying RAW and Smackdown lately. 

I think the shows have been okay but I don't blame most people for watching something else. 

Smackdown actually did pretty well all things considering in the 18-49 this week.  RAW on the other hand was abysmal. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

One thing I’m curious about is who’s even friends with Cena as far as WWE talent goes? He seems like he’d be a nice enough guy. I remember reading before that Big E and EC3 work out with him, but I don’t recall ever reading anything about any of the other guys being people he hangs out with (minus the occasional Ric Flair drinking stories). 

Matt Cardona talks about texting him sometimes on the Major Wrestling Figure podcast.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Cena seems to me that while he might be a nice guy, he's one of those people that in real life don't have close friends and is kind of an alien. Him being the ultimate company man points to that. People like that don't tend to have much of a life. 

It is weird that he didn't have his own BSK or Kliq because that's what all the top guys in the history of wrestling have had. The politics have wrestling have enforced that necessity forever -- just go read the Gary Hart book and see how important it is so have loyal people around you. 

• Like 1