DVDVR Message Board

Sláinte! - SDL - 7/24/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Bayley & Sasha on commentary was fun as always. Nikki/Alexa was a pretty solid match. Kind of hoping they don't actually break the two up though I do like how Nikki has been leaning closer and closer to her crazy self the last month or so as Bayley and Sasha continue to push her.

Kofi gone for a bit sucks, but I like that he is finally pushing E to take the next step as a singles competitor. I assume AJ is who E ends up going after though I'm hoping they actually have E aim for the Universal belt.

I skipped around a bit of Naomi segment though it didn't seem bad. Looks like they might actually have her and Lacey feud properly which is nice if only for some direction after the last couple of months of aimlessness.

skipped Neese/Riddle

Fatal 4-way was good. Looking forward to Metalik vs. AJ. 

Looks like Mandy and Otis are back next week. Hopefully Sonya isn't far behind. She and Mandy deserve a proper blow off match to their feud.

Though the Bar Room brawl was the most enjoyable match Jeff has had since coming back. Just a nice violent fight with the two beating the shit out of each other. I could have done without some of the extra dramatics though like the music and the hat/face paint reveal.

This was a generally solid show for the most part.

Sheamus putting the hat over Jeff's face, followed by removing it to have Jeff's facepaint magically appear was hilarious.  After Jeff won and put the hat over Sheamus face, I was hoping he was going to take it off and find Sheamus had facepaint on, then he gets up and beats up the bartender, puts the hat over his face only for him to have the hat removed and have facepaint on, too.  Alas...

I don't know if Michael Cole has found anything funnier in his entire life, then he did Alexa and Nikki beating up Sasha and Bayley.  Those were some legit belly laughs coming from him after that happened.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see JBL back on the show regularly in some kind of role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caley said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to see JBL back on the show regularly in some kind of role.

It was nice seeing him weigh in on Jeff/Sheamus, but I wouldn't want him back regularly.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

It was nice seeing him weigh in on Jeff/Sheamus, but I wouldn't want him back regularly.

He'd actually be a fairly entertaining authority figure, with the idea being that he's a big guy and can't be corrupted/intimidated, so he would just show up to make matches kind of the way Regal does.

I cannot lie, the sadist in me would really like to see Naomi lose next week again.  

PS: I thought the Miz/Morrison sick-meter was really funny, especially with the Seth sound effects.

That really isn't a cinematic match (to me). To me, something like the Firefly Funhouse match is, or the Boneyard, because they're shot differently.

This wouldn't be out of place in a compilation of APA segments from the early 2000s or something like a Parking Lot Brawl.

• Like 2

This was a good show.   I enjoyed the bar room brawl stuff with Jeff/"Willow" and Sheamus,  Everything with Bayley/Sasha/Alexa/Nikki was great from the segment to the match and them on commentary...   and it looks like maybe Naomi will get a push out of this hmm. 

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I thought maybe Bennigan’s had come back.

We're just not hungry for fun enough in this day and age, I'm afraid...

But when the day comes I look forward to once again enjoying a batter-dipped Monte Christo...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, caley said:

I cannot lie, the sadist in me would really like to see Naomi lose next week again.  

I wouldn’t put it past this company lol either way, it’s good that there seems to be an actual feud developing between them. I liked what little we got from their last match and thought that they had decent chemistry/worked well together. Plus blonde MAGAish southern belle vs braids/Afro rocking glow dancer is quite current! 

Sasha and Bayley are the act that just keeps giving. They were perfect little instigators and it looks like they are driving Nikki back to the land of insanity. 

So for anyone who's seen both, which was better: The Sheamus vs Jeff Hardy Bar Fight, or the Hangman & Kenny vs Jake Hager portion of Stadium Stampede?

On 7/25/2020 at 9:56 AM, TheVileOne said:

1. Big E vs. The Fiend for the Universal title at Wrestlemania.

2. I think I hate cinematic matches now after Sheamus vs. Jeff Hardy.

Oh god no. Don’t stretch Wyatt having the belt out from Summerslam to April. He’s terrible in the ring, and honestly not interesting enough to carry the belt for that length of time. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

So for anyone who's seen both, which was better: The Sheamus vs Jeff Hardy Bar Fight, or the Hangman & Kenny vs Jake Hager portion of Stadium Stampede?

Stadium Stampede, and I’m not a Hager fan at all. Then again I’m a Hangman Page fan so that might be part of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

Oh god no. Don’t stretch Wyatt having the belt out from Summerslam to April. He’s terrible in the ring, and honestly not interesting enough to carry the belt for that length of time. 

I think Wyatt/Fiend's run with the belt was doing OK until that garbage with Goldberg. His strap match with Bryan was awesome.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think Wyatt/Fiend's run with the belt was doing OK until that garbage with Goldberg. His strap match with Bryan was awesome.

WWE has been trying cheap pop ratings/attendance figures since like 2005 when they brought Hogan back in.  15 years+  of the shit and it's killed the growth of the company creatively which didn't matter with all the TV money and network money but now it's time for them to pay up.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

WWE has been trying cheap pop ratings/attendance figures since like 2005 when they brought Hogan back in.  15 years+  of the shit and it's killed the growth of the company creatively which didn't matter with all the TV money and network money but now it's time for them to pay up.. 

I think the problem with the Super Cena run was not so much the work of Cena himself but how after a while WWE was so hooked on Cena they were unwilling to bring up other guys who could be top stars as well. Even CM Punk despite getting massively over and from what I read, was selling just as much if not higher merchandise than Cena, was still seen as second banana to Cena. And we can point to plenty of guys who were getting over and WWE just refused to get behind for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

One thing we always heard about Cena is that as opposed to every other main guy in history, he didn't protect his cronies. He didn't have a circle of guys he looked out for. What that meant was that no one was protected. You almost need that even though it's harmful in some ways too.

• Like 3