DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 15: Whittaker vs. Till (7/25/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 15: Whittaker vs. Till 
July 25, 2020
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island) 

Robert Whittaker (186) vs. Darren Till (186) - Whittaker, DEC (unanimous)
Maurício Rua (206) vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira (206) - Rua, DEC (split)
Fabrício Werdum (242) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (240) - Werdum, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:30)
Carla Esparza (116) vs. Marina Rodriguez (115.5) - Esparza, DEC (split)
Paul Craig (206) vs. Gadzhimurad Antigulov (206) - Craig, SUB (triangle choke), R1 (2:06)
Alex Oliveira (171) vs. Peter Sobotta (171) - Oliveira, DEC (unanimous) 
Khamzat Chimaev (171) vs. Rhys McKee (170.5) - Chimaev, TKO (punches), R1 (3:09)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Francisco Trinaldo (160)* vs. Jai Herbert (156) - Trinaldo, TKO (punches), R3 (1:30)
Nicolas Dalby (171) vs. Jesse Ronson (171) - Ronson, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:48)
Tom Aspinall (248) vs. Jake Collier (264) - Aspinall, TKO (punches), R1 (0:45)
Movsar Evloev (146) vs. Mike Grundy (146) - Evloev, DEC (unanimous)
Tanner Boser (235) vs. Raphael Pessoa Nunes (264) - Boser, TKO (punches), R2 (2:36)
Bethe Correia (136) vs. Pannie Kianzad (136) - Kianzad, DEC (unanimous)
Ramazan Emeev (171) vs. Niklas Stolze (170.5) - Emeev, DEC (unanimous)
Nathaniel Wood (136) vs. John Castañeda (136) - Wood, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the NightTanner Boser
Performance of the Night: Tom Aspinall
Performance of the Night: Jesse Ronson
Performance of the Night: Khamzat Chimaev
Performance of the Night: Paul Craig
Performance of the Night: Fabrício Werdum

Rating: 908,000 viewers

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Be interested to see how Darren Till does in his second fight back as a Middleweight and how the returning Gustaffson from retirement does as a Heavyweight for the first time. Werdum looked rough in his first fight back from his USADA suspension.

Edited by The Natural

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Werdum's claim he wasn't able to really train or spar for that fight. I am not sure if much has changed since then though.

I'm reminded of Domick Cruz's claim that "cage rust isn't a thing". It's a curious fight seeing the condition of Werdum in his second fight back and Gustaffson as a Heavyweight. Man, I was disappointed in Jones vs. Gustaffson 2 both for the performance by Gus and the fight itself as the first is one of the best in MMA history. Sequel was a real letdown.

He (Werdum) had a good round and half in him against Volkov prior to the layoff. I don't think Gustafsson is that far gone especially compared to Werdum. I think Werdum is basically submissions or bust. Physically, I don't think he is capable to pulling off what he could five or six years ago. If Gus can keep this standing, I expect him to mop up ole Vai Cavalo. 

• Like 1

On paper this card has a few matchups I'm interested in. I think Till vs. Whittaker is a fun matchup. Whittaker also seems to be in really good spirits this week. Glad he was able to take a break and start feeling better. 

I'm not expecting Esparza/Rodriguez to be a barnburner, but that's an interesting matchup with significant implications for their division at least. 

Oliveira vs. Sobotta also has potential to be a very fun fight.

I honestly didn't expect Peter Sobotta to be around this long, but part of that is inactivity on top of being much better than average rank-and-file roster fighter. Early on in his UFC run, he was sorta emblematic of the roster bloat of six years ago. He managed to parlay that into a half decent run. With that said, Cowboy Oliveira is a tough matchup for Sobotta on the final fight of Sobotta's contract. Oliveira tends to win fights like this running away.

Esparza vs. Marina Rodriguez is basically to find out who gets to face Amanda Ribas later this year.

Of course, Chimaev coming back this quick deserves some attention. It helps that his teammate is in one of the main fights on the card.

Just for shits and giggles, you might as well catch Paul Craig vs. Antigulov because Paul Craig either loses big or wins big.

• Like 1

• jaedmc pinned this topic
1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Bethe Correia lucky she didn't get totally brained when she decided the round was over with 10 seconds left. 

When Bethe Correia fights, Bethe Correia type things happen. 

Tom Aspinall might be a very good heavyweight prospect. Jake Collier is the most fringe of UFC fighters you're gonna find, but Aspinall treated him as such.

Man, Nicolas Dalby showed a lot of promise before his first UFC run. Now he's on his second UFC run, and it looks like his up and down first UFC run was not a fluke. He's just an inconsistent fighter all around.