DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Tom Seaver has passed away at the age of 75

The greatest Met who ever lived is no more. I am in tears just reading those words. Even knowing it was coming this is really hitting me hard.

Forget if I've mentioned it on the board before, but I saw Seaver pitch once, during his Mets comeback in 1983. He was scheduled against Fernando Valenzuela, which even as a 10-year-old felt like this real generational battle. Shea was sold out with tons of Dodger fans and a level of electricity you cannot imagine... then Bob Welch came out to pitch instead of Fernando after Lasorda shuffled the rotation or something.?

And Bob was lights out. Two-hit CG shutout... Seaver (who was a serviceable hitter from memory) had one of the two hits. Maybe the best pitching performance I ever saw live.

• Like 2

I got curious and looked and they (the Dodgers/Mets) didn't play on Saturday (the day before your game) so I would assume that game got rained out and pushed the rotation back a day.

Oh and Fernando threw a complete game, 4 hit shutout against the Phillies the next day

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I got curious and looked and they (the Dodgers/Mets) didn't play on Saturday (the day before your game) so I would assume that game got rained out and pushed the rotation back a day.

Oh and Fernando threw a complete game, 4 hit shutout against the Phillies the next day

That had to be it, yeah. I remember it was very gloomy and overcast that day and may have rained that morning too.

Amusingly, there must have been another rain-out at some point because they had to play back-to-back DOUBLEHEADERS that August. How 2020 of them.

image.png

I hate you both for making me look it up.  

1/2" of rain fell in the night of 8/28/83.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/new-york-city/KLGA/date/1983-8-28

I'm not psychotic enough to look up why the other game got postponed. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I hate you both for making me look it up.  

1/2" of rain fell in the night of 8/28/83.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/ny/new-york-city/KLGA/date/1983-8-28

I'm not psychotic enough to look up why the other game got postponed. 

Aww... that's nice

Of course the games we were originally talking about were on May 21 and May 22 ?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

BTW - I found this Ultimate Mets Database thing

http://www.ultimatemets.com/metannual.php?ThisYear=1983&tabno=4

And this might be my new favorite stupid thing

May 22, 1983 Shea Stadium
Los Angeles Dodgers 5, Mets 0

Shickhaus Franks
February 8, 2007

Went to this game with my brother and his future wife. Lied about my age to get a WHITE Mets batting helmet as Seaver is rocked for 5 runs as Bob Welch (forever known for striking out Mr. October in the '78 World Series) gives up only 2 hits.

Yes - I am sure that is why Bob Welch is known...

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - I found this Ultimate Mets Database thing

http://www.ultimatemets.com/metannual.php?ThisYear=1983&tabno=4

And this might be my new favorite stupid thing

Yes - I am sure that is why Bob Welch is known...

Well, he also had that nice run with Fleetwood Mac before moving into sports.

What?

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

So Mike Rizzo gets ejected from today's game in some suite for arguing about calls not wearing a mask 

The ump who ejected him:  known COVID denier Joe West.   Just can't make this shit up ?‍♂️

I can't wait for the robo umps to show up so I never have to see Joe West or Angel Hernandez again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just read the ESPN writeup on the Rizzo ejection. I didn't need more reason to dislike Joe West, but he gave me one anyway. 

Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo was tossed for yelling at umpires from a luxury suite in Atlanta on Sunday, with longtime crew chief Joe West saying, "Enough is enough."

"I wouldn't take that from a player. I wouldn't take that from a manager," West told The Associated Press. "If it was Donald Trump, I'd eject him, too. But I'd still vote for him."

I guess he's making the point that if anyone was giving him shit, he'd hose them, but to invoke the President's name feels like he is fishing for some extra ink or to hope his hero in the White House pats him on the head. 

Fuck Country Joe and his dogshit strike zone and his itchy ejection trigger finger and his shitty country and western records.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1