DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

He did say in the video though that they didn't want to run up the score..  I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to.  They were up 7 runs,  I've seen bullpens blow some big leads,  I don't know..  these guys are professionals they should be able to handle getting blown out. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

That’s an incredibly misleading tweet

The reason Tingler called it a learning opportunity is because Tatis missed the sign to take at 3-0 (again that is one of the more we’ll known “unwritten rules” so theoretically Tatis should have known he was getting the take sign but that is a different issue)

And that isn’t even bringing into it the bullshit of “oh he was with the Rangers last year”

I'm with Niners Fan.  Even with the full context of the video, as opposed to the misleading tweet (and it IS misleading), I'd fire Tingler for not supporting Tatis.  No reason to bring up the missed sign, no reason to bring up "not running up the score", none of that.  You simply say "I'm never going to be upset with one of my guys for hitting a grand slam".  And stick to that script.  And then you yell at Tatis in private if he missed a sign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I'm with Niners Fan.  Even with the full context of the video, as opposed to the misleading tweet (and it IS misleading), I'd fire Tingler for not supporting Tatis.  No reason to bring up the missed sign, no reason to bring up "not running up the score", none of that.  You simply say "I'm never going to be upset with one of my guys for hitting a grand slam".  And stick to that script.  And then you yell at Tatis in private if he missed a sign.

Hell, I'd probably fire him for not wanting to run up score. That's a loser mind set. I want a guy who'll run up and be giddy about it. If you don't have a killer instinct what's the point? Talk about unwritten rules, I would think most old school players would lose respect for a manager like that.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

He did say in the video though that they didn't want to run up the score..  I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to.  They were up 7 runs,  I've seen bullpens blow some big leads,  I don't know..  these guys are professionals they should be able to handle getting blown out. 

Main reason seems to be the Padres' Manager & General Manager were both in the Rangers organization for 10 plus years so they are friends with him and didn't want Tatis to rub their noses in them getting smashed. If you throw me a Fastball in a 3-0 count I'm swinging too just like Johnny Bench said. 

• Like 2

It's only running up the score if it comes after the team getting blown out shows their belly and stops competing.  If they're still trying to stage the comeback? Then you can, and must, keep trying to hang more on them to keep that from happening.

And 6 runs isn't a blow out: that's one bad outing from a reliever who "didn't have it today" away from being equaled.

Also:  home runs are the stat that gets guys paid come free agency so, yeah, guys are gonna rake 'em when the can, deal with it.

46 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Hell, I'd probably fire him for not wanting to run up score. That's a loser mind set. I want a guy who'll run up and be giddy about it. If you don't have a killer instinct what's the point? Talk about unwritten rules, I would think most old school players would lose respect for a manager like that.

Yeah, in the pros, keep scoring until they stop you.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 3

I think it's all bad for baseball.  I saw that idiot Chris Russo on MLB Network talking about this and I wanted to tear my hair out.  Guys like Tatis or Soto or Acuna or Judge should be celebrated and their faces should be plastered on all types of advertisements, they should be selling sneakers to my nephew or to me..  they should have their own video game like Ken Griffey Jr. did or their own commercials like Frank Thomas does except maybe for their own demographic.. i.e. not horny old people. 

I just don't get it.  Baseball is a great sport and guys like Tatis should be discussed like a Dame Lillard. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it's all bad for baseball.  I saw that idiot Chris Russo on MLB Network talking about this and I wanted to tear my hair out.  Guys like Tatis or Soto or Acuna or Judge should be celebrated and their faces should be plastered on all types of advertisements, they should be selling sneakers to my nephew or to me..  they should have their own video game like Ken Griffey Jr. did or their own commercials like Frank Thomas does except maybe for their own demographic.. i.e. not horny old people. 

I just don't get it.  Baseball is a great sport and guys like Tatis should be discussed like a Dame Lillard. 

The league would rather demonize fun and then tell us that it's Trout's fault he's not a bigger star. 

Fuck em. Pimp 500 foot shots, and get jazzed about striking out the side to leave em loaded. 

Did you see that fucking catch Machado made the next night in the RF corner? That is some million to one type shit, and if I was him, I would have cartwheeled back to my position before the next batter.

Best part of all of this is Tatis stole 3rd while SD was up 6-0 the next day.

The Jomboy breakdown is great, he just bitches and moans about how stupid it is to take your foot off the gas.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 3

Just watched the Jomboy breakdown.  He nailed it in every respect.  I love that he included a clip of the Rangers manager violating that same unwritten rule years ago.  Beautiful.  I also had somehow missed that there was retaliation by the Rangers.  Kudos to the umpiring crew for absolutely not doing their jobs there.  Pitcher and manager get suspended for an OBVIOUS pitch thrown at the hitter but those umpires didn't even issue a warning.  That entire crew should get suspended, too.  Good grief.

And, yeah, lemme say it again - Tingler needs to get fired.  No way, no how should you EVER make one of your players feel like he should apologize for hitting a freaking grand slam.  And kudos for not backing up the guy who got throw at, too.  Well done!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I didn't check here first, I posted Passan's tweet with video in the Stupud Things thread.

Brennaman is disliked so much it got posted in three threads...

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

This time last year Dan Vogelbach was coming off his first All Star appearance for the Mariners. Today he was DFA. 

I am not sure being the token Seattle All Star to DFA is that far of a fall from grace.

• Like 1

Vogelbach was always the fat guy in the Cubs farm system who we thought would basically be a AAAA player at best. Then he got traded and basically lived up to the projections.

Pirates team president Travis Williams has tested positive for COVID.

Since the team has been on the road, Williams hasn't been in close contact with any players, coaches or other front office staff, so the team appears to have dodged a bullet there.