DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

I can't see how any East Coast team or TV for that matter agrees to California AND Texas

(I also note that you can't choose NY due to the lack of stadiums with roofs)

Didn't Steinbrenner's threatened plan to move the Yankees to New Jersey include a retractable roof stadium?  

He was clearly playing the long game.  

Christ, now that I think about it, the closest MLB stadium with a roof (retractable or otherwise) is Tampa or Miami? 

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I can't see how any East Coast team or TV for that matter agrees to California AND Texas

(I also note that you can't choose NY due to the lack of stadiums with roofs)

Toronto would be perfect...it the Canadian government would let MLB in lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Christ, now that I think about it, the closest MLB stadium with a roof (retractable or otherwise) is Tampa or Miami? 

Yeah - and I think they would most likely be concerned about a team playing "at home"

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Didn't Steinbrenner's threatened plan to move the Yankees to New Jersey include a retractable roof stadium?  

He was clearly playing the long game.  

I just cracked up picturing MLB trying to retro-fit the Carrier Dome for baseball.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

We can't have TWO Thunderdome's this fall, so it'll probably be Miami.

Oh, speaking of double headers, the Cubs played one yesterday against the Cards. I think it's...dumb? First off, and I get that they're playing two games in one day, but it's not much of a punishment for Cards players acting like total fucking shitheads causing them to miss a bunch of games to essentially play less innings than any other team and have a chance at making the post season. Has nothing to do with the Cubs losing 1 of those games, but I'm not a fan.

Second, using the Cards as an example again, it sucks for the other team to have play double headers against them when they didn't fuck up and have less innings to win those games.

Third, I'm just not a fan of 7 innings. My feeling or thought was, oh, it's over? Oh shit, I forgot, it's only 7 innings. I know it's only 2 innings we're not getting, but it feels so abrupt when the game ends after the bottom of the 7th.

• Like 1

Ed and I were talking about what team/media member was going to figure out that the Cards were going to end up play less innings then almost anyone else and bitch

Just using this week as an example - they are playing 6 DH games. So they are playing 42 innings instead of 54 innings so that is over a game "missing"

Now in regards to 7 inning DHs - its less jarring when you have seen it in the minors.

I mean it is great when you want to make sure you see both games and for a tool to maximize games this year. Beyond that... not so much. 

EDIT - I should note that most teams probably don't mind the occasional 7 inning game as it allows for more arm conservation. (Plus again - most of them have played 7 inning games in the minors)

I think that was the weird thing to me was that I am used to it with minor league games. I don't know why it rubs me the wrong way for MLB games. It's likely just what I'm used to. Not a great excuse or anything.

55 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Toronto would be perfect...it the Canadian government would let MLB in lol.

You joke but the Canadian government would probably be more willing to approve that (like they did for the NHL) then when the Jays just wanted everyone coming in and out of the country

• Like 1

you wanna speed up the game?

you want playoff games to end on time?

Oakland Coliseum playoff bubble hub.

watch as that glorious expanse of foul territory turn 12 pitch at-bat attrition affairs into quick outs.  Even YankSox games will finally fly by.  Learn to hit straight, jabronies.

Make Me Commissioner.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Wes Littleton getting a fucking SAVE is still the single most ridiculous aspect of that debacle.

the three inning save rule will never not amuse me.  I love that someone got credited for a save in the 30-3 game.

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

you wanna speed up the game?

you want playoff games to end on time?

Oakland Coliseum playoff bubble hub.

watch as that glorious expanse of foul territory turn 12 pitch at-bat attrition affairs into quick outs.  Even YankSox games will finally fly by.  Learn to hit straight, jabronies.

Make Me Commissioner.

You've got my vote.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh ffs

You know baseball is truly back we're arguing about stupid shit like this again. 

This is unbearably stupid.  Tell your guys not to load the bases and groove fastballs. 

• Thanks 2

The worst part was the Padres manager going into a press conference and basically apologizing, the gist of which was "I'd rather my guy take a strike than hit a home run." Fuck you, you absolute coward. If I was one of his players, I would have just lost all my respect for him. It's fucking baseball, there's no clock, keep putting up runs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

We all know it's mathematically impossible to close a seven-run gap in two innings. Now everybody play nice and be friends. 

Exactly.  The Mariners absolutely did not lose a game they led 14-2 in the 7th inning to cost themselves the all-time wins record.  Nope, didn't happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

We all know it's mathematically impossible to close a seven-run gap in two innings.

Science has discussed the possibility, but it is theorized that the conditions for such an event can only occur beyond the event horizon of a black hole. Until technology advances to the point that we can engage in further study, baseball players will just have to keep taking pitches.

• Like 2

The Braves have called up top OF prospect Cristian Pache

Why?

In the ultimate of ironies - Nick Markakis, who reminder opted-in after originally opting out - has been exposed to someone who has COVID-19 (Markakis has tested negative so far)

That’s an incredibly misleading tweet

The reason Tingler called it a learning opportunity is because Tatis missed the sign to take at 3-0 (again that is one of the more we’ll known “unwritten rules” so theoretically Tatis should have known he was getting the take sign but that is a different issue)

And that isn’t even bringing into it the bullshit of “oh he was with the Rangers last year”