DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Olbermann is saying networks have been told to ready alternate programming if season is topped. 

The embedded image is the part about the TV Networks needing to make sure they have a backup plan

As of this moment MLB has cleared Miami has to play on Tuesday in Baltimore

They will play 4 games over 3 days - each team will be the home team in 2 of those games

The Phillies have been approved to play starting Monday so the game against the Yankees is back on. Those two teams are schedule to play a 4 game home and home series

(The reason for the change is - per MLB - two of the three Philly results where false positives and no one else has tested positive since last Sunday)

The Red Sox Eduardo Rodriguez will miss the remainder of the season due to the myocarditis he has experienced since testing positive for COVID-19

Boy it sure is a good thing that it isn't a big deal that all these healthy athletes are getting it ?

He’s already worth 12 WAR, though a curious decision to start his service time clock during this season.

And speaking of this season, I think I’ve figured out why I - an otherwise superfan baseball junkie - just don’t care. The kayfabe macro story of every baseball season for over 100 years has been “all of these teams are trying to win the World Series”. The kayfabe storyline this season isn’t that, it’s “can they finish the season, and should they be playing at all”. It’s THAT they are playing, not how they are playing or what they are playing for. And because of that fact, the actual events within the games themselves are meaningless. I don’t care. In kayfabe, everything is made up and the points don’t matter.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

It’s THAT they are playing, not how they are playing or what they are playing for. And because of that fact, the actual events within the games themselves are meaningless. I don’t care. In kayfabe, everything is made up and the points don’t matter.

I had been trying to figure out why in a season in which the Dodgers acquired Mookie motherfucking Betts, nothing about the prospect of baseball was exciting. When I turned on the game on Opening Day, I had a moment of clarity and understanding.

I just don't give a shit, because I wish that there wasn't a baseball season being played. All the rec-league softball fuckery seems dumb, even though I totally understand the need for the modification of the rules. 7 inning doubleheaders and automatic runners in extras and universal DH and a fucking playoff structure in which more than half of the league is eligible? All real fucking weak, even though all are the right choices for a season like this.

There are exactly two things that hold any interest for me this year. Because of the short schedule, will anyone hit .400? And then, how many HBP are HOU going to take this year?

Beyond that, baseball seems stupid and the last thing we should be worrying about. I've loved this game longer than I can remember, and never have I been so apathetic to its existence. That's likely just the existential dread talking, I'm sure 2021 will be something I'll get into if we get there.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 4

My first thought is something terrible, but then I remember that this is Yoenis Cespedes we are talking about, so it is probably a better bet that he decided to ride a horse to Ottawa or something. 

Either way, I hope it's something dumb and not something serious.

Edited by grilledcheese

Per Jon Heyman - the general belief around the league is that Cespedes is opting out.

Of course since he is him, he just left instead of letting anyone know

Brewers bench coach Pat Murphy suffered a heart attack Saturday during team workouts

He is reportedly "resting comfortably"

Someone really is trying to get baseball to take the hint and take off the rest of the year