DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

In something that probably should have been in place already for this year - MLB and MLBPA agreed that starting tomorrow (Aug 1), double headers will be 7 innings games.

And before anyone panics - it is just for this year

Since the Phillies and Marlins are supposed to play each other next week - I can imagine they might be the first ones this will impact

Look, I'm not cheering for anyone to get this horrible virus, but I can't say I'm sad that I'll get to hear the word "outbreak" not immediately following the words "Miami Marlins" any more.  (For now.)

EDIT -- And of course as soon as I hit submit...

giphy.gif

The way the reporting is going it appears the plan is that the Marlins will have to field a team comprised entirely of everyone who is at the alternate camp (everyone there has tested negative). This is why they are pretty much signing any warm body that has major league experience (including Logan Forsythe and Pat Venditte. They also have TWO Josh Smith's on the roster now)

Also Matt Joyce was just cleared to return (he had test positive before the season started) so he wasn't with the regular team.

So basically - in 5 years, there will be a movie about this scrappy group of replacements beating the Yankees

For those wonder if MLB learned in the week since the Marlins stuff started... they haven't

So far it is 2 Cardinals pitchers who tested positive.

MLB's official response

- tonight's game postponed, will be made up on Sunday as a double header

- Saturday's game on as scheduled

4 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

20% of the league isn't playing tonight because COVID.

nIgHtMaRe yet?

And in reality - more should be postponed

The Cardinals just traveled to Milwaukee from Minneapolis, for instance, after completing a two-game set with the Twins. Minnesota hosted the Indians last night, meaning the Cleveland players and staff were in the same visitors clubhouse that had just hosted the Cardinals. Both the Twins and Indians, then, could feel the impact of the Cardinals’ tests even if none of the players on either roster have tested positive yet. 

Cleveland must be fucking thrilled ?

Yeah - the Cards announced that the positive tests came from the testing that was done prior to WEDNESDAY'S game!

So that is two whole days of games played before the results were known

4 minutes ago, elizium said:

Isn't that on you, Rob?

A recap I read basically seems to imply that "forces" (I don't want to say ownership per se because that isn't exactly right) are basically trying to lay all the blame at the feet of player behavior (both at the ballpark and when away from it)

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A recap I read basically seems to imply that "forces" (I don't want to say ownership per se because that isn't exactly right) are basically trying to lay all the blame at the feet of player behavior (both at the ballpark and when away from it)

I will also give the owners this one small sliver of credit: they proposed a bubble situation like the NHL and NBA are doing, and the players turned it down, due to the stretch players would be held would be about 4 months instead of the 2 NBA and NHL are looking at. And, being legit, the players aren’t social distancing and aren’t wearing masks. Like, at all.

I do think there is plenty of blame to go around on both sides of this.