DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well Manfred finally showed up and said in a MLB Network interview - that the Marlins/Os game tomorrow (Tuesday) is off too.

They hope to play Wednesday's game but need "additional testing to come back first"

Doesn't this current format disallow double headers too, so if they play tomorrow, it's not like they're making up one of the two lost games.

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Doesn't this current format disallow double headers too, so if they play tomorrow, it's not like they're making up one of the two lost games.

That the line floated by MLB when telling the players they couldn't play more than roughly 60 games.

So yeah - the Phillies and Yanks share one common off day the rest of the season - but if teams aren't allowed DH then thats it.

I mean Manfred even basically said as much last night that most likely not every team would play 60 games.

And early word on the street is the reason tonight's game was postponed was because the Philly test results were delayed which goes into the OTHER big issue everyone already brought up

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and BTW - 4 more Marlins tested positive bringing the total number of players to 15

But totally not a nightmare scenario for the commissioner

I hate this timeline. 

MagnificentGaseousBoa-size_restricted.gi

So either the MLB testing is really spotty at best or an argument about how testing every single day is just not that reliable when it comes to testing.   I don't know if we can blame them, blame Soto, or just chalk it up to how much of an unknown this virus is 

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So either the MLB testing is really spotty at best or an argument about how testing every single day is just not that reliable when it comes to testing.   I don't know if we can blame them, blame Soto, or just chalk it up to how much of an unknown this virus is 

I think this falls into the "nobody knows anything"  category.  I shouldn't say doctors don't know anything, obviously they know more than everyone else but we are seeing all of this play out in real time and it takes time to understand a virus, it takes time to perfect testing and it's going to take time to perfect a vaccine.  

When some dumb politician gets on TV and acts like they know what they are talking about it's very frustrating because NO..  YOU HAVE NO IDEA...    

The other thing I wonder is if Tampa Bay is having the same issue and nobody is reporting it?   I mean they apparently played games in Florida and their current series is in Atlanta.   I guess we will see if the "this is all Atlanta's fault" argument holds any water.  

Just now, hammerva said:

The other thing I wonder is if Tampa Bay is having the same issue and nobody is reporting it?   I mean they apparently played games in Florida and their current series is in Atlanta.   I guess we will see if the "this is all Atlanta's fault" argument holds any water.  

I believe - and I am trying to refind the story I read - the latest theory is the belief that the Marlins players were infected by someone who was on the plane as the team went from Atlanta to Philly

25 minutes ago, hammerva said:

just to clarify, TB is currently facing Atlanta IN Florida, then immediately battles them in Atlanta.  TB has only played home games thus far.

This is fine

The Marlins’ 2020 campaign has been “paused,” according to Craig Mish of Sports Grid (Twitter link). That development is part of an apparent effort on the part of Major League Baseball to tweak its schedule to account for the breakout of COVID-19 cases within the Miami organization.

With the Phillies also sidelined, at least for the short term, the league is left with two teams out of action. It’s considering a plan to match up those two organizations’ previously scheduled opponents — the Yankees and Orioles — in order to keep logging as many games as possible, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (Twitter link).

While the Philadelphia organization doesn’t have any new positive tests to worry about, it recently took the field against the Marlins. The Phils will also be held back for at least some time as a result, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports (Twitter links).

The idea, it seems, would be to get the Marlins and Phillies caught up on total contests later in the season. If they don’t quite make it to 60 total games, postseason qualification could still be determined by winning percentage. It isn’t clear exactly what standards the league will apply to determine when to resume action for these teams.

This on-the-fly scheduling construction is obviously fraught with difficulty. Many problems could end up being kicked down the road, particularly if the Marlins have further difficulties or the breakout turns out to have expanded to other organizations.

Tangential - and boy talk about probably spiking the ball too early. Governor Cuomo is proposing to MLB that they play all games in NY is a pseudo bubble

"Here's my suggestion — I understand the challenge they're facing. New York state could host any major league baseball game that any teams want to play and they could play those games in our stadiums," Cuomo said.

Noting that New York state currently has one of the lowest Covid-19 infection rates in the country, Cuomo proposed that teams could fly into the state in private airplanes, go from the airport to the hotel where they would be quarantined and tested upon arrival, and then they could play ball in stadiums in the state assuming that they test negative. Afterwards, teams could then get on a plane and return home.

"We have the ability to do it. We have the testing resources to do it," he said, noting it would be great for the state economy, as well as for New Yorkers and Americans.

• Sad 1

You can't make this stuff up

So per all reports - the reason the Marlins played on Sunday was because Miguel Rojas said so

Per Jon Heyman - Miguel Rojas is one of the Marlins who has since tested positive

• Haha 1

Piecing reports together - this is where things stand schedule wise at the moment

Instead of hosting Philly tomorrow and Thursday - the Yanks will travel to Baltimore and play two there

The Phillies will be allowed to start playing again on Friday - hosting the Blue Jays

And since the Marlins are in limbo (and the Nats refuse to go to Miami) - the Nats would get 4 days off (the 3 games they were supposed to play Miami and Monday was a scheduled off day)

I mean I don't know how they are going work around the Marlins losing at least a week of games but here we are

BTW - multiple reporters are confirming all the schedule changes I just posted

With Joel Sherman adding that they are suddenly all DOUBLE HEADERS ARE FINE!!!!

MLB officially confirmed the schedule changes with more changes for the week of Aug 3 to be announced later this week.

They also totally ignored the Nats not having a game for 4 days which makes me giggle

I saw on CNBC that less than one percent of tests have come back positive. I understand the Marlins situation has thrown this all into chaos but so far it's just the one team. If it spreads to other teams which seems likely since there's no bubble then I don't see how they continue. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Ironically - with two teams out it would be easier to schedule because at least then you don't have one team just sitting around waiting to play games