DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

I feel like such an arrogant ass for saying stuff like "Did anyone really think this was going to work to begin with?" but, yeah, who really expected this season to go down unhindered? There was never a plan to keep the players healthy at any god damned point. 

How has the NHL looked like the best ran league in North America this season by a country mile? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

How has the NHL looked like the best ran league in North America this season by a country mile? 

Especially on the same day this is going on - the NHL announced that there were zero positives of everyone tested going into the hubs

• Like 1

at least they have a nationwide system of minor league baseball players to draw from so the Marlins can at least call up enough guys to field a team to keep games being played rather than face the dilemma of quarantining the main roster through two weeks of forfeits vs letting them play and expose/infect every other team in the league.

Sure am glad they didn't do the short sighted greedy thing a few months back and fire all the minor leaguers as part of a greater strategy of union busting, and thus preserved some sort of failsafe for this entirely forseeable and predictable current circumsta--

--hold on a minute I'm receiving an update...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Why didn't the MLB and MLBPA agree on on bubble cities, wasn't there talk of Arizona and Florida as the two hubs?  They are similar in size to the NHL in rosters/teams.  It could have been done. 

I think owners were convinced they could get fans in the stadium at some point.

Well the other argument against at the time (from the players) was that players would have had to be away for like 4 months (unlike say basketball - which for most teams will only be for like a month). It is the same reason the NFLPA was against the bubble idea.

Also - by the time MLB and MLBPA were getting close to an agreement - Arizona and Florida had already become hideous hellspawns that no one wanted to go to

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think owners were convinced they could get fans in the stadium at some point.

I think fans is completely off the table for any live sport (or should be) and to be honest... I think they probably need to cancel college sports altogether.  You cannot risk the health of student athletes like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well the other argument against at the time (from the players) was that players would have had to be away for like 4 months (unlike say basketball - which for most teams will only be for like a month). It is the same reason the NFLPA was against the bubble idea.

Also - by the time MLB and MLBPA were getting close to an agreement - Arizona and Florida have always been hideous hellspawns that no one wanted to go to

FIFY

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I feel like such an arrogant ass for saying stuff like "Did anyone really think this was going to work to begin with?" but, yeah, who really expected this season to go down unhindered? There was never a plan to keep the players healthy at any god damned point. 

Just give Trout and Acuna credit for forty HRs each and call it a season. I'm good with that. Oh, and make the Marlins change their name to "The Lepers", they could have a mascot throwing his fingers to the crowd... Oh, wait... I guess he could just throw random body parts at the visitors' dugout... Sorry, I'm a horror writer, my mind just works this way...

• Like 1

White Sox manager Rick Renteria is away from the team after experiencing a cough and nasal congestion.

He will miss tonight's game as the team awaits results from his COVID test

EDIT - Bench coach Joe McEwing will fill in for Renteria

Well Manfred finally showed up and said in a MLB Network interview - that the Marlins/Os game tomorrow (Tuesday) is off too.

They hope to play Wednesday's game but need "additional testing to come back first"

Also in that Manfred interview - he apparently said that the conditions for shutting down the season would be 

For MLB to do that, it would require one of its teams “losing a number of players that rendered it completely non-competitive,” Manfred stated. 

Who knows what that magic number would be but if I am guess MLB's logic it would have to be something like "Until all 40 guys on the 40 man roster get it"

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't think Manfred dislikes the sport of baseball. I just think his ideas for improving baseball are completely fucking dumb. There's plenty of things that could be done to improve the sport that both fans and players are in agreement on, and he's come through on maybe like 3 or 4 of those things. And they were all obvious improvements to begin with, like getting rid of the ASG determining WS home field advantage, or using replay in certain situations.

Everything else seems to be born out of shit he probably thought up while watching Rock n Jock Baseball on MTV in the 90s.

Rock n Jock Baseball was awesome!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also in that Manfred interview - he apparently said that the conditions for shutting down the season would be 

Who knows what that magic number would be but if I am guess MLB's logic it would have to be something like "Until all 40 guys on the 40 man roster get it"

Manfred: You can’t be non-competitive if we just cancel games of a few teams.

Oh remember a couple of pages ago when the President said he was, and then backed out of, throwing the first pitch of the Yankees game? 

The NY Times reports the whole situation was apparently news to the Yankees.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What if the team is already non-competitive? I mean the O's and the Marlins can't just play each other all season...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

What if the team is already non-competitive? I mean the O's and the Marlins can't just play each other all season...

Fair play regarding the O's but please keep that Florida bullshit away from us.  It's bad enough Baltimore's closing up to a degree but a lot of the state is doing a decent job trying to avoid being Florida.

Braves will designate Mike Foltynewicz for assignment

Because Braves fans deserve it...Phil and I discuss:

Me: the Braves DFA'ing that Mike Foltensdfksfsd;f guy IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME HE SUCKED IN is glorious
Rippa HA!
Rippa : I didnt realize it was in the middle of the game
Me: I didn't either
Me: the Primer comments state he was released after getting pulled
Rippa: I think they meant "he was pulled from the game. THEN the team released him"
Rippa: meaning after the game
Me: nope
Me: the Primer comments were clear it was in game
Rippa: hehehehe
Rippa: yup
Rippa: I see it now
Rippa: Braves assistant general manager Perry Minasian delivered the news to Foltynewicz in the clubhouse just before the end of Monday’s game. 
Me: HAH
Me: god that is great
Rippa: I mean it was probably done so he could bail before the team got back I guess
Me: god knows many GM's have wanted to do that
Me: that makes sense
Me: the Braves are all about white flight
Me: you put that on a motherfucking tee for me

23 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Here is my entire statement on this matter: 

Thank you, I will take no further questions and make no further statements. 

source.gif

Contract this sorry-ass franchise and put me out of its misery.

Yanks/Phillies officially postponed tonight too

So you now have 4 teams who have to make up at least 2 games with very little days off.

But no big deal to the commissioner