DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - 60 GAMES TO SAVE THE WORLD

Dolfan in NYC

Baseball is back!  The Yankees and defending WS Champion Washington Nationals kick things off today.  

And since we can't start a season without some lolMets - Marcus Stroman is going to the DL with a torn calf.

The Giants have already peaked by being The Kneeling Team.  Biggest thing they'll accomplish this year (LOL who's going to actually trade for Cueto's contract in a 10 start season?)

60 games already means there's a big asterisk on whoever wins the world series this year, so in that light I'm fine with them using this as their guinea pig year to discover the 3 batter minimum, universal DH, and "start extra innings with a free runner on 2nd like this is some Rock n Jock Softball shit from back in the day" ideas are not only stupid and that nobody likes them, but that they don't even fix the problems they're supposed to solve.

So we can be rid of all this gimmick bullshit before the start of the next real season.

• Like 3

... I like the universal DH rule.

Of course, I'd be equally fond of getting rid of the DH. I don't care either way, I just think the two leagues having different rules is fucking stupid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Decent chance the Yanks/Nats get rained out tonight

With all the bullshit that's gone down leading up to this I think that would be oddly appropriate.  But I hope they don't as I'm hoping to see this game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

With all the bullshit that's gone down leading up to this I think that would be oddly appropriate.  But I hope they don't as I'm hoping to see this game.

Be careful what you wish for.  It's an ESPN game.  We might get Sutcliffe and wish for Covid.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, EdA said:

Be careful what you wish for.  It's an ESPN game.  We might get Sutcliffe and wish for Covid.

I don't honestly pay attention to other commentators aside from Thorne/Palmer due to me watching O's games all the time.  But I can't imagine anybody making me wish to get Covid.  Luckily with MLB's app I can just play the radio for the game while having the TV muted if it gets that bad.

106.7 the FAN (which carries the Nats games locally) is going to be slightly delaying the audio so it matches with the TV feed.

Apparently they can do this because with out fans in the stands making the ambient noise it is a lot easier to get everything to match

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Oh BTW - two weeks later and Aroldis Chapman is still testing positive.

So that is terrifying

JUST A MILD COLD!!!!!  

Too soon?

Given that they were playing exhibition games all week,  chances are many many other Nationals have it too.   Again they better fill the roster with a ton of bodies because the chances of a starting 9 (excluding pitchers) looking the same for more than a week is slim to none

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Given that they were playing exhibition games all week,  chances are many many other Nationals have it too.   Again they better fill the roster with a ton of bodies because the chances of a starting 9 (excluding pitchers) looking the same for more than a week is slim to none

And the idea of losing a guy for 2 weeks makes up 1/4 of this "season". Straight fucking dumb that money dictated ownership and the League to try to force this horseshit season into existence.

• Like 1

The Royals have similar concerns because Hunter Dozier tested positive a day or two ago.

Now that being said - in Soto's case it could be a false positive as Mike Rizzo confirmed that while Soto tested positive, he is asymptomatic and had tested negative in all the previous tests.

If they can't get turnaround times on results in less than two days, why the fuck are they allowing these guys to keep coming to work and playing intrasquad, and now over the last couple days playing exhibitions?

Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Also, if the bests tests available push false positives to an extent that it's the first excuse, perhaps that's another indicator we're moving in the wrong direction?

Edited by grilledcheese

How do you not shut the game down with that information?  Possibly infect the whole Yankee's team because tests aren't back?

wait

Actually, PLAY BALL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

From the ESPN story

Rizzo said that Soto was asymptomatic and that no one else on the roster was deemed ineligible following contact tracing.

Hence why they are comfortable still playing

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There is a reason dudes like Clint Frazier are playing with masks on

I was unaware that there was anyone playing in a mask. I knew Trout was practicing in one.

Good for the kid. That dude should have a long prosperous career in front of him. Be a shame to fuck it up.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Thanks 1

There was a clip a couple of nights ago of Frazier hitting a HR while wearing the mask.

I know some catchers have said they will wear a mask while catching but not hitting (since the ump will be all up in their grill)

In other news - the Royals are signing Matt Harvey

• Thanks 1