DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I'm just off to google "Hot women from Oklahoma", brb.

Edited by AxB
I'm never going to visit Oklahoma
  • Haha 13

On 7/23/2020 at 6:39 PM, Custos said:

At the risk of descending into ratings nerd territory, AEW number 1 for male 18-49 for the night. I do think it’s relevant to the discussion, not in the ratings wars sense, but consistent and proven viewership in the right demo and the promise of big bucks for the next TV deal may be the only hope of keeping the lights on through the pandemic for the promotion that has become a favourite for many. 
Obviously I’m not intimate with their business plan but PPV buys and online merch sales must barely make a dent in the lost ticket and in-person merch revenue. 

Apparently the TV deal allows them to break even right now.

• Thanks 1

I'll take "seems to be genuinely rekindling his love of pro wrestling" Schiavone over "perpetually perturbed at the state of the industry" JR any night... HOWEVER, when Ross puts over something modern - like saying how The Bucks can scrap - it's great. 

I think JR needs to be reminded that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it - unless it's directed at the heels ?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AxB said:

If the internet existed in 1988, Wrestling boards would have been packed with people begging for Dusty to turn heel.

As far as Jim Ross goes, between him getting horny for buff guys and Penelope (and it's odd that it's just her, considering she's far from the only attractive Woman in the company) and his old school grouchiness, he does seem to detract more than he enhances. The Mox vs Hager empty arena match (that he called solo) really showed that he can't hype a match up any more.

I mean, Dusty was kind of heeling on the studio audience in 88 as they were turning on him. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

If the internet existed in 1988, Wrestling boards would have been packed with people begging for Dusty to turn heel.

It did exist in 1988. ? 

Dusty as a disgruntled veteran turning on a young guy like Sting (like II & Magnum) could have been good, if his ego would have allowed it. And as Matt said, he could have vented about the ungrateful fans. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

Message boards didn't. Even Newsgroups weren't invented, were they? It was more P2P communication via modem than having actual websites you could visit and post to, wasn't it?

Well, websites weren’t invented in the mid 90s. I was in grad school when we had to learn how to create them using Mosaic.

by the mid 80s, you had publicly available things like AOL and Compuserve. And newsgroups, like DVDVR predecessor r.s.p.w, were around in the early 90s. 

I love Jim Ross and he usually has a few lines on every show that crack me up. But that said I kinda wish they had him as the Mean Gene of AEW. He comes out and does the big interview segments and stuff in the back. Tony and Excaliber are fine by themselves, but with JR they step all over each other.

24 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I love Jim Ross and he usually has a few lines on every show that crack me up. But that said I kinda wish they had him as the Mean Gene of AEW. He comes out and does the big interview segments and stuff in the back. Tony and Excaliber are fine by themselves, but with JR they step all over each other.

I agree with most of this, except the last part. I love JR and Tony, I can't stand Excalibur. If they had to get rid of anyone and make it a two-man booth, it would be him, not JR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I agree with most of this, except the last part. I love JR and Tony, I can't stand Excalibur. If they had to get rid of anyone and make it a two-man booth, it would be him, not JR.

The mask is what gets me. Pretty lame & bush league IMHO

• Like 1

I'm surprised they have chosen to skirt around Excalibur's in-ring career to this point. Are play by play guys not allowed to gave experience in the ring? He's wrestled a few of the people on the roster and yet I don't recall his ever mentioning his wrestling days once. 

• Like 1

Scorpio Sky, Eddie Kingston & Colt Cabana are the only people he's wrestled, though. I'm not really sure if that's worth mentioning, either. Maybe if it was a larger chunk of the roster, but only two of those people are actually signed to AEW, and the other is, I guess, a freelancer.

Off the top of my head, I think Gorilla, David Crockett and Les are the only former wrestlers I can think of that did pxp and not just color. Watts is probably in a separate category and he would seemingly do commentary by himself, even with Boyd next to him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

Scorpio Sky, Eddie Kingston & Colt Cabana are the only people he's wrestled, though. I'm not really sure if that's worth mentioning, either. Maybe if it was a larger chunk of the roster, but only two of those people are actually signed to AEW, and the other is, I guess, a freelancer.

That's fair, but bringing up his experience in the ring would help give him some credibility and that is a missing element from the team right now. 

• Like 1

They brought up that Excalibur was an ex-wrestler when Brandi was doing heel colour commentary in her angle with Kong and Mel. She was asking him why he wore the mask and he said he wore it when he wrestled and because he never lost it as a wrestler, he has to keep wearing it now he's not one.

Quite a lot of precedent for that, too. Plenty of other retired wrestlers (who stayed around the biz after retiring) kept their masks on.

• Like 2

I don’t mind Ex keeping the mask on at all. Wrestling is about tradition and I don’t blame him for holding onto one, especially now that his in ring career is over. It’s not sillier than JR’s black hat to me. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Casey said:

What a dumb reason to not like an announcer.

Hardly. Its lame and lends the whole product an amateurish, cartoon like quality. This isn't some lithe, charismatic young high flying Mexican luchador; its a doughy middle aged dude from Detroit who spends a lot of time in front of the camera as well as on voiceover expecting to be taken seriously. Possibly the epitome of nerdiness in wrestling.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2