DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

The next step should be country-wide government-endorsed glory holes, but most of our politicians are COWARDS.

You saying Scott Moe is anti-glory hole? ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I know I know NO LIVE POSTING but anyone that has bad things to say about that promo can come find me and we're gonna FIGHT because this shit is quality

You know it's one to watch again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It was only British Columbia's provincial health officer talking about glory hole masks when being intimate, THAT IS ALL. O_O

I am so genuinely happy for and kind of envious of you wonderful Canadians on this here board.  I don't need to tell you what the US suggests and your government is suggesting glory holes.  Well done, folks, well done.

Oh, right, Dynamite.  Hey, you know what's better watching Kingston appear last night?  Watching it again!  That was so incredibly awesome in so many ways.  And much respect to Cody for taking the powerbomb into tacks and showing some great fire to end it.  I know he's veering toward heeldom but I really do love him as a face.

• Like 3

What can I say that everyone else hasn't said already about that opener?  GREAT choice to bring in Kingston.  Cody wishes his character and promos could be that real.  Excellent match from both guys.  Loved it.

I enjoyed the "this guy sold his boots due to the pandemic" stuff but I didn't like JR turning King into Randy the Ram a little, acting like Kingston's best years are behind him and this may be his last ever shot at greatness.

That FCA match was one of the best things I have ever seen, FUIUD. "MUD SHOW TONIGHT!" Holy shit make Butcher a singles guy in the next year, please.

OH DAMN Colt is wearing a "Cult Cabana" shirt.  Loved it.  Really enjoying watching how this angle is playing out.

FIVE looks like some English wrestler doing an El GEnerico tribute act like they'd do in the 90s with dudes like Legend of Doom or whatever

I enjoyed giving Diamante the win when it seemed like she was being brought in to shine up Ivilesse.  I didn't like both women having a simlar look vis a vis the bandanas.  Need a little more quality control there.

Loved the "JUNGLE MAN" joke.  Everything outside of that was meh.  MJF just doesn't do it for me.  He just comes across as an indy dude cosplaying 80s heels.  There's no feeling or sincerity, to me.  It just feels like he's doing something he saw on a tape.

Excalibur calls a move neither Goofus nor Gallant ever heard of.  Goofus low key mocks it.  Gallant marvels at learning something new.

Anyhoo, damn damn damn fine show.

• Like 5

In the Fite chat, I'd say the split was 60% didn't know who Eddie was, 20% knew him from TNA, 10% NWA and 10% CZW/ Chikara/ indies/ Chris Hero feud. So that's apparently a lot of people who are AEW fans who clearly aren't (or weren't; One guy said AEW got him into Wrestling but he was watching the GCW double header this weekend) indie wrestling fans.

The best bit was, after the dive when Eddie got up selling his knee, he did such a good job that guys were feeling bad for him that he got injured right early in the biggest match of his career. I was trying to tell them that he's just really good, but they were all "I know a legit injury when I see one, look how he's trying to no-sell it but it hurts too much".

• Like 1

Saw Cody/Kingston at lunch, Goddamn! That was a king sized brawl for such a quick short match

About the boots and the knee with Kingston, they put over that he just got a new pair of boots the day before when he got contacted for the match. My own understanding is that wasn't enough time to  break in the boots properly, so when Cody did his dive that plus brand new pair of boots= knee dislocated maybe? Rolled his ankle? I don't know, he kept clutching at the knee not the ankle but if he sold his ring boots some time back and got a new pair of boots, y'know? Almost sorta makes sense that he would pick up a leg injury ? given he was working his ass off at the start to slow everything to a crawl like minutes later

I dunno.

The Taz promo and Darby getting jumped only for Mox to bring the equalizer, holy shit! Can't wait til I punch out and get to watch the dvr taping in full top to bottom.

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Excalibur calls a move neither Goofus nor Gallant ever heard of.  Goofus low key mocks it.  Gallant marvels at learning something new.

Yeah that pissed me off. I just muttered "shut up, Tony". 

We need to get the jobbers ganging up on Archer backstage only for him to beat their asses even worse. 

• Like 1

Goofus and Gallant is perfect for those two. ?

Eddie's selling was so good that I was wondering if it was real or not for a bit. I remember Omega sold like that for a short period of time, in a more realistic manner than the hammy "oh no I can't ever use my arm again" wrestling shtick way. I hope that's the future of selling. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

I mean if they REALLY wanted to listen to the fans there is definitely one name that needs to be brought in.  And that is NICK FUCKING GAGE 

You thought this reaction to Kingston was incredible.  

They need to hold that back until crowds are back in.  Moxley still seems tight with the CZW/GCW guys so hopefully this somehow happens.  

TK if your reading this, find out how much “for whom the bell tolls” costs to licence.

• Like 1

* That falls count anywhere match had so much GREAT stuff in it, from the Butcher & Blade doing some butchering with blades (and making sure to wash their hands before fighting), Matt Jackson slapping dudes’ faces with meat, Pepper Parks having a terribly hurty night (okay, maybe not that one), an elevator ride, OUTDOOR MUD SHOW, Nick Jackson being thrown into Nick Jackson, and Andy Williams being the HOSS we all need. Gold, baby.

* The whole Eddie Kingston thing was encapsulated by him staring down the camera while forearming Cody, and threatening to tear Arn’s eye out (take THAT, Rollins!) and while I don’t have the MAD LOVE for the king (he’s A king, not THE king) that some have, it was a thrill to see him do his stuff, even with a bum knee. Now do WARHORSE.

* I was trying think of a solid third favourite thing, and it’s a toss up between Lance Archer putting a man through the ceiling and then in the bin, Adam “gonna see how this white wrist tape works out” Page making everything look effortless, the FTR-Elite shit being slow burn awesome, or Brodie Lee. With one minor exception, NOTHING was bad on this show.

* Those AEW action figures look ace but I’m FORTY EIGHT YEARS OLD - I can’t buy toys, can I?!?

* What was the point of Ivelisse? Even if you ignore the gross stuff she’s said about mental illness in the last few years, and her connection to Chasyn Rance, she’s nowhere near the Ivelisse that rocked Lucha Underground, and can’t really live off a four-year old vibe. This is a problem at the moment that they could have fixed using Dark - give some of the jobbers wins over other jobbers so they can job on Dynamite without looking like jobbers.

* Ricky Starks nearly murdered Darby Allin with his sneak attack, and it looked awesome but nearly murder is bad.

Edited by Linus
  • Like 4

Randomly throwing out thumbtack spots in a first-match open challenge with no backstory is not an avenue they need to be doing. 

I noted a few weeks ago, but Cody is veering a bit close to RVD TV-title over-indulgence. If the goal is an inevitable heel turn then great but it's a bit much.  

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah that pissed me off. I just muttered "shut up, Tony". 

We need to get the jobbers ganging up on Archer backstage only for him to beat their asses even worse. 

Funny, I was going "Shut up, JR" I may need to rewatch I think I may have misunderstood the exchange

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Randomly throwing out thumbtack spots in a first-match open challenge with no backstory is not an avenue they need to be doing. 

I noted a few weeks ago, but Cody is veering a bit close to RVD TV-title over-indulgence. If the goal is an inevitable heel turn then great but it's a bit much.  

I don't entirely disagree on the tack thing, but I'm ok with it just because this is a baby company during an unprecedented global pandemic. I get the idea of a build, or saving it for PPV, but the "anything can happen" vibe this gave is sorely missing from all the other wrestling shows out there - to say nothing of the fact that the sad reality is, if live crowds never come back, it may be difficult for AEW to survive.

So while you see it as the RVD TV title over-indulgence of '99, I see it as: what if ECW pulled the trigger on RVD v Rhino for the World title earlier because who knows, the company might not make it to Living Dangerously '01.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Veering? You need to read more of @Technico Support's excellent work breaking down the egomaniacal booking of Cody. The apple did not fall far from the tree. ?

Very good show last night. Women's match was very bad though. Hopefully this tag tournament leads to some more female talent coming in that is good. Kingston needs to show some of these dweebs how to fucking sell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

OH DAMN Colt is wearing a "Cult Cabana" shirt.  Loved it.  Really enjoying watching how this angle is playing out.

There was something out there and I swear it was from Colt and him saying "I'm not sure why it looks like that, but Brodie assured me it says Colt Cabana."

I laughed pretty hard.

That was a damn fine episode of wrestling television, every match was good to great and served a purpose but that's not even the talking point this week. Count me as one of those who was late to the Eddie Kingston train but I've been all in on the guy since he showed up on Powerrr. He brings an air of legitimacy to wrestling you don't find many places and sometimes he feels like the closest we'll ever get in modern wrestling to the raw energy of original ECW. Signing Eddie would be worth every penny, especially if he can help coach the youngsters so they can sound a little less like they're playing wrestler. Not sure how much he has left in the tank and I don't know that AEW needs another manager but I hope there's room to get Kingston on board.

35 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Veering? You need to read more of @Technico Support's excellent work breaking down the egomaniacal booking of Cody. The apple did not fall far from the tree. ?

LOOOOL aw man don't encourage me.  I'm really try to dial back the weekly anti-Cody and anti-JR comments but they make it so hard.