DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I say we send Tony Khan a fruit basket if Kingston gets signed.

I'm completely serious in saying if that's the case then we really, really should.  And with the added bonus of Tony once being part of this board I feel something from here would be great to send him anyway.

And thinking back on last night I'm still all smiles.  Even though Diamante/Ivelisse didn't light my world on fire they had some good stuff in there.  And if that's technically the worst part of the show then that's quite alright with me.  I do have to laugh at Bucks starting it in the kitchen with B&B.  I'm sure it wasn't really raw meat but I loved them washing their hands to start it off.  Then they fought in all that anyway and may would that be a whole bunch of health and safety violations (likely not real meat thankfully)  But that was one wild-ass fight that not only was I into but Tony sure was as well.  I love when he gets excited for stuff like this.  Speaking of Tony I loved how much he was in love with the stretch plum.  Like the tope suicida it's heartwarming to see him get excited for stuff like that.

As for Kingston it seems everybody wants him to sign and I hope he does.  I don't think there'll be an issue from NWA as they said if you want to go elsewhere that's cool which explains why Starks went.  So especially if they're playing up how he had to sell his boots to pay the mortgage I think it's a matter of time before we get confirmation.

• Like 1

Eddie Kingston was a key part of what I regard to be the best match in Ring of Honour history, ROH vs. CZW inside the Cage of Death at ROH Death Before Dishonour IV. A ***** match and my 2006 Match of the Year.

I’m kinda bummed that it looks like they really are going to drag out FTR challenging for the belts until All Out, but the Colt/Brodie story has been good, so Kenny & Hangman vs. the Dark Order could be an entertaining month’s worth of shows.  Defenses against Uno/Grayson and maybe even Brodie/Colt would be fresh matches, anyway, with FTR turning the screws from the sidelines and weakening the champs’ partnership to set them up for a fall.

I felt like they maybe made Kenny look like TOO much of an asshole by not coming out at all, though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

It's not swearing! WWE has "Cody Rhodes" trademarked, so AEW had to bleep "Rhodes" every time that full name was said.

Man, that's a brain fart of my part. Oof. Que the "You fucked up chants!"

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Man, that's a brain fart of my part. Oof. Que the "You fucked up chants!"

Not trying to call you out at all ? and that promo does need to be seen by anyone who hasn't already watched it. Interesting that Kingston flat-out says "I'll be back" at the end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Not trying to call you out at all ? and that promo does need to be seen by anyone who hasn't already watched it. Interesting that Kingston flat-out says "I'll be back" at the end.

I know but I'd rather be corrected instead of saying something wrong. Thank you for doing so. Hope you're not getting withdrawal symptoms over no Summer Blockbuster Pool. It's one of my favourite things about the board and I've taken part every year since it began in 2008.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I hope the delay in his signing is Kingston terminating his NWA contract. 

They have to know he knocked it out of the park, they saw the same thing we all did.  I think it's at least possible that they sign him without announcing it, ride out the social media clamoring, and just have him show up again in a few weeks as a surprise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

I enjoyed the opener. But I'll point this out. The finish sucked.

Not the first time we've had a match where some guy talks up having the shot of a life time, one chance, etc and then loses to Cody in fairly meagre fashion for someone who's just talked up the importance of the match.

It didn't put the figure four over as a death finish. Didn't work in the context of a self preservation finish either when Cage/Taz did it the week earlier and beat us over the head with it. 

Dude's laying there surrounded by thumbtacks. At least throw them at him mid-hold? Pass out in the hold? Maybe a reversal, only for Cody to then reverse it back and lead to the tap out.

Having the guy come out, cut the most fire promo in ages, about how bad he is, and nothing like he's ever faced before, only to job to his opponent's third string finisher without barely a yelp...yeesh.

FWIW, the finish made complete sense. The announcers played up multiple times that Eddie had to sell his wrestling boots to pay off his mortgage and he only picked up a new pair of boots or borrowed a new pair the day before. Eddie was selling the knee heavily since Cody's dive early in the match. Dude has bills to pay and can't afford to not wrestle. Of course he's going to tap out instead doing something dumb like throwing thumbtacks at Cody, which aren't going to do anything. His knee is already wrecked and if he doesn't tap then who knows what happens.

• Like 5

Does anyone watch AEW who isn't fairly familiar with indy wrestling?

I dug KIngston's appearance last night, but I was wondering what a causal fan who doesn't watch much indie wrestling would make of him.  His only nationwide tv appearances have been TNA, right?  So unless you're streaming (or buying dvds of shows) Chikara, CZW, etc., you may not know much about him.  If you weren't really familiar with King, you probably saw a pasty fat guy in jobberish ring attire and wondered what the h*ll was going on.

Then again, a casual fan probably would be bewildered by a large chunk of AEW;s roster.  Lucha Bros, Orange Cassidy, Best Friends, Player Uno, the Japanese women, etc.  I hate to think what you make of Evil Uno if you didn't see him and Stu Grayson in the indies ten years ago and build up some goodwill for them.

I guess my question is: Is AEW attracting causal fans who didn't watch indie wrestling before it got a time slot on TNT?

(I would guess the answer is: even fewer than WWE, which I doubt attracts a lot of casual fans anymore either.)

Edited by Doc Townsend

28 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

They have to know he knocked it out of the park, they saw the same thing we all did.  I think it's at least possible that they sign him without announcing it, ride out the social media clamoring, and just have him show up again in a few weeks as a surprise.

What I am thinking too. I mean, I'm down for LAX 2.0 or whatever but then I think of how bookers tend to put similar POC together and while it's cool that they have a decently sized contingent of Boricuas, he can do his own thing.

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I did miss Eddie Kingston wearing the pleather pants look.

I did not. Those pants tucked into his boots, borrowed or not, was a significantly better look. Those god damn shindy JNCO-ass pleather pants were the thing I liked least about Kingston. I guess they were in the so-bad-it's-good in an endearing way terrible but not something you'd probably want to pull off on national TV. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I did not. Those pants tucked into his boots, borrowed or not, was a significantly better look. Those god damn shindy JNCO-ass pleather pants were the thing I liked least about Kingston. I guess they were in the so-bad-it's-good in an endearing way terrible but not something you'd probably want to pull off on national TV. 

I think it's because that's the look I associate with Eddie Kingston from the time I first watched him in ROH, then in CZW. Was he in TNA?

19 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I dug KIngston's appearance last night, but I was wondering what a causal fan who doesn't watch much indie wrestling would make of him.  His only nationwide tv appearances have been TNA, right?  So unless you're streaming (or buying dvds of shows) Chikara, CZW, etc., you may not know much about him.  If you weren't really familiar with King, you probably saw a pasty fat guy in jobberish ring attire and wondered what the h*ll was going on.

I don't watch as much indy wrestling now. It's mainly NJPW that I'll watch that isn't WWE or AEW. I'll sometimes catch ROH or Impact here or there. Even still, I know who Kingston is because he's been a mainstay of independent wrestling for a long ass time and he had memorable runs in Impact and NWA. Part of me did wonder what the audience at large would think about him. The dude has always been able to talk his ass off and audiences love someone who can talk shit, but wrestling audiences at home tend to want someone who has a decent body to go with the talk. I worry that people watching this who aren't familiar won't care because to them Kingston just looks like a flabby guy who can talk and brawl.

But for me? I fucking loved it. I think his work in the ring spoke for itself and I hope that, combined with his mic work, convinces people that Kingston is someone worth watching.

Who knows when he'll be on AEW again. I know NWA said everyone on the roster could go work elsewhere for the time being, but Corgan said no one has actually been released. Or something to that effect anyway. He may not be able to work a full schedule with AEW just yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I think it's because that's the look I associate with Eddie Kingston from the time I first watched him in ROH, then in CZW. Was he in TNA?

He had 2 short runs in TNA.  First as part of the Death Crew Council (which was a weird ass group), and then as part of the LAX civil war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Then again, a casual fan probably would be bewildered by a large chunk of AEW;s roster.  Lucha Bros, Orange Cassidy, Best Friends, Player Uno, the Japanese women, etc.  I hate to think what you make of Evil Uno if you didn't see him and Stu Grayson in the indies ten years ago and build up some goodwill for them.

I guess my question is: Is AEW attracting causal fans who didn't watch indie wrestling before it got a time slot on TNT?

(I would guess the answer is: even fewer than WWE, which I doubt attracts a lot of casual fans anymore either.)

My wife mainly pays attention to AEW and WWE before that.  If I have something else on she'll watch it so she knew about Eddie from his NWA Powerr run.  But that was about it.  She liked him then and was happy to see him show up last night.

Now I did ask some friends who only watch AEW and knew nothing about Kingston beforehand.  So far I heard from two who loved him and hope that he gets signed.  The promo really stood out along with the line about selling the boots which made them feel bad for the guy.  So I guess there's that.  As for a large chunk of the roster they love them all to varying degrees.  Orange to me seems very casual friendly and the more people that see him the better.  Shit, to this day I still do the Orange kicks with another friend who only saw him from the Revolution PPV.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Anecdotally: I watch with my girlfriend who prior to AEW only knew WWE, and she came away from it saying she's glad Cody won because Kingston should be Mox's next challenger. They really may have something here.

• Like 4