DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

EDDIE

FUCKIN

KINGSTON

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh yeah, the rest of the show was fucking great. Man I love AEW and Dynamite. Funnest two hours of wrestling each week. Next week looks sick as fuck.

• Like 7

Kingston is just the greatest.  

I’m so conditioned to WWE stupidity that when he said “I’m a grown ass man” that I was somewhat surprised they didn’t cut to Billy Gunn in the audience.

I don’t know who Griff Garrison is, but with his look, he should be renamed “El Hijo De Tom Magee” or “Jungle Boy XL”

• Haha 7

I don't know what I preferred more - the truth spitting and violence of Eddie Kingston in the first match or Jake's raspy audio accompaniment to his charge's path of destruction.

Jericho's stooging over his smelly jacket and look of sheer fatherly love at being reunited with his Spanish God was very entertaining too. 

Looks like I picked the right couple of weeks to get back on the AEW band wagon.

• Like 3

He has a very strong accent, Stu Grayson. Sounds very french. Odd because Uno doesn't sound French at all and they grew up as neighbours apparently.

I don't want to be furious with my favourite promotion but i will be straight up furious if they don't sign Kingston. How can you have Dr. Luther and Austin Gunn on the roster and not have room for Eddie Kingston?

Edit: the Page n Omega vs. Dark Order tag is for the title and the Mox/Cage tag is a tornado rules match! Heck yeah but also really they should've signed Kingston by now. I get that you can't sign everybody but he's a better talker than everybody on the roster including Chris Jericho and their world champion. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

He has a very strong accent, Stu Grayson. Sounds very french. Odd because Uno doesn't sound French at all and they grew up as neighbours apparently.

Yeah he probably would need to be a "let my actions do my talking" kind of babyface lol

Enjoyable from the off tonight. Y'all have covered the greatness of Eddie in detail but Cody brought it too tonight. Much less heeling from Cody tonight. 

Really expected a "who the fuck is gruff garrison" from MJF. Surprised he didn't mention that it was Wardlow who lost the tag match. 

Page is so good as a shit talking, badass face. They've really got something with him. Did Colt's t shirt say "Cult Cabana" or did I imagine that? John Silver really is a thicc little boy, isn't he? 

Throughout the falls count anywhere match I just kept thinking that from a distance, in the white jeans, Blade bears more than a passing resemblance to Joe Talbot from IDLES (my absolute favourite band, hence my user name). I much prefer their look in white it must be said. Butcher looked a beast here. 

Archer looked great in his little segment, wanna see what's next for him. 

Great vicious sneak attack from Ricky Starks, he really came from nowhere. I'm intrigued by the dynamic between Mox and Darby. 

Fun tag to end the evening, but I actively dislike how much JR talks up Hager constantly as though he is this undisputed star above everyone else, because Jake has not shown nearly enough to be treated in that way. 

Looking at social media, there's a fuckton of people who didn't know Eddie Kingston before tonight but now love him and want him signed, so hopefully the EVPs recognize what a potential star they've got. 

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

There were a lot of Puerto Ricans on the show tonight.  #BoricuasCollectiveBargaining.

As a half Puerto Rican myself, it’s a beautiful site. They should sign Carlito, give him a godfather/cartel boss like role where he only cuts promos from a lavish mansion in Puerto Rico while sending his goons on Moxley week after week. And they could build it up to a big stadium show in Puerto Rico with Moxley vs Carlito which has to be a bloodbath because you know.... Puerto Rico.

• Like 1

You know what? AEW posted on Twitter a few weeks back "Who do you want to see in the open challenge," and a bunch of people said Eddie Kingston and another bunch of people said Warhorse, I remember those being the two biggest names in the replies, and it looks like they're going to put both those guys on tv. I'm not saying it necessarily makes them better than WWE (we'll have to see how Warhorse does), but WWE would never, ever listen to the fans to that extent. 

• Like 4

I enjoyed the opener. But I'll point this out. The finish sucked.

Not the first time we've had a match where some guy talks up having the shot of a life time, one chance, etc and then loses to Cody in fairly meagre fashion for someone who's just talked up the importance of the match.

It didn't put the figure four over as a death finish. Didn't work in the context of a self preservation finish either when Cage/Taz did it the week earlier and beat us over the head with it. 

Dude's laying there surrounded by thumbtacks. At least throw them at him mid-hold? Pass out in the hold? Maybe a reversal, only for Cody to then reverse it back and lead to the tap out.

Having the guy come out, cut the most fire promo in ages, about how bad he is, and nothing like he's ever faced before, only to job to his opponent's third string finisher without barely a yelp...yeesh.

• Like 3

I thought it was weird that they had King bring out the thumbtacks.  Despite coming up through some hardcore type promotions, I don’t really think of him as a hardcore wrestler.  A brawler, for sure, but not a deathmatch guy.

Match was great, regardless.

AEW is on a roll! If this board is any indication of the fanbase, which I very much assume it is, signing Eddie Kingston is a no brainer.  Touching story about him selling his boots.  Real deal or not - well played.  

Dig seeing Starks join Taz's ranks.  Archer beatdown with Jake audio was great.  The MJF squash was really good, but going thru commercials with a PNP doesn't seem like a wise move to hold the audience's attention.  Nonetheless, a really good heel squash segment.  Diamante-Ivelisse also doesn't seem like a wise move for audience attention.  I can't say I much cared for the match, but they worked hard.  

Dark Order-Omega/Page has potential to be a real barnburner.  I like to think this is where attitudes change on the terribly underrated Uno and Grayson.  

On a side note: I'd really like to see them give their stars like Omega more mic time on weeks off.  Kenny in particular as he always had great promos in Japan (that I've seen) that were so fun (and often funny), and it's a shame he isn't utilizing that skillset regularly.  Seems like a real oversight.    

Anyway, well booked and produced=excellent show.  The fact that they've continued to work steady while committed to their vision, and not hot shot bullshit angles over ratings dips, is a great sign of Tony Khan's consistent and terrific booking.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Now that is how you start a show. Hard hitting, in your face; promos that feel utterly sincere even if orchestrated. That contribute to the bigger picture (first time we've had the Cody-is-friends-with-Khan line within the show? Turn him heel!). Stips that are both curveballs & meaningful. Keep that depth of engagement, keep steering clear of the contrived-Matt-Hardy style bs and they should be swinging right back around to those million-viewers-a-show numbers.

Tangent - they've gotta hire Kingston full time right? What a great character.

• Like 1