DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 7/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

This is fucking crazy.  This FCA match is completely bonkers!  Did NXT's card look so good on paper that you had to go balls out with the booking?

If it weren't for commercials, I wouldn't flip back to NXT for the North American title Triple Threat match.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

HOLY FUCK~!  THAT FINISH AND A MAN JUST GOT PUT THROUGH A CEILING~!!!

I have no idea how the second hour of Dynamite will stack up against hour one, but I am willing to watch and find out.

Edited by J.T.

Only saw a clip of Cody's opponent on Twitter, watching the show tomorrow. 

But GODDAMN! please please please sign him tonight if he hasn't already signed. PLEASE!

That guy showing up was King Kong sized WOW imho

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Thought about it. Pretty confident in it. Best stick man of the 2010’s is our boy that opened the show tonight.

They are idiots if they don’t sign him.

2010's? I think the only one who even has a case for him at for the last 20 years is Punk. 

I'll put it this way. If they don't sign Kingston (assuming there isn't an issue with NWA), they are fucking stupid and I won't follow them on sheer principle. If they do sign him, I'll start watching weekly. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

That was such an awesome ~10 minute match that had a bit of everything, but emotion for a guy debuting with a clear story. Awesome selling by the King. I've questioned if the DVDVR love for Kingston as one of the best around was a bit of hyperbole but nah. He really is fucking great. 

I'll put my opinion of Kingston this way. In the GWE, I had Kingston on my list in the low 90's, and I was kinda insecure about that pick because it was such a person pick. 

I've watched a lot of wrestling in the last 4 years. I have became much more secure of my opinions on wrestling and what I think makes good wrestling. If we did voting for another project like that today, He'd be top 50, possibly top 25. Great worker, even better talker.

Yeah, his talking alone makes him top flight. I don't know how I'd rate him besides the all time guys, especially guys from the territory days when talking was so key to drawing, but he's definitely a top 5 talker of the last 10-15 years. Add in he's very good and sometimes great in-ring and yeah I've got no problem with that. 

I posted this in the cutting a promo 101 thread but it's here too just in case y'all miss it there.

Shit, that’s one of the sickest thumbtack bumps I’ve ever seen. 

“Gonna see how this new white wrist tape works out”. Please never stop doing these.

I love how Brodie took Colt to the back like a father protecting his kid from seeing the bad shit about to happen and Cabana just being oblivious to it.

• Like 5

What an amazing show!  Second hour had very solid matches and a tremendous main event, but nothing was going to top Hour #1.

Kingston & Cody beat the monkey piss out of each other, Butcher / Blade vs. Bucks FCA was psychotic, and Lance Archer put a man through the ceiling while Jake cut a promo.

There was no following that shit

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

That was so fucking awesome. Butcher looked dope as hell in that tag team match which really delivered the goods. What an awesome show. One of their better efforts yet because it accomplished so much. I wasn't really into Ivelisse/Diamante. It looked pretty awkward and not so good. Didn't love the main event but it was fine. Other than that I loved everything. The attention to detail in Colt being taken away from the mob hit was such a great little bit. The two hardcore matches were fucking awesome. Kingston. Kingston! MJF's squash was really solid. Archer's angle killed me! If they're not doing big things with Archer I would LOVE to see Butcher and Archer together destroying everybody in the tag division. The sooner Butcher is either on his own or they replace Pepper, the better. I don't know how Blade didn't break an ankle on that botch dive. That looked nasty. Kenny Omega continues to be a low key shitty friend or at least not as good of a friend as FTR. JUST GIMME THE DAMN SIX MAN TAG WITH THE BUCKS. NOW. 

Tremendous show though it did feel like it slowed down a bit with that weak women's match and a less than stellar main event. But holy hell that first hour was so so good.

Great card, first hour felt like it flew by.

- Falls Count Anywhere was perfectly stupid. They even had a "MUD SHOW TONIGHT" sign in the back of the truck.

- Women's match was great (so I was right about that at least), Ivelisse's leg is finally healed and let's hope it stays that way. Diamante was mean as fuck and both ladies' faces look like they were carved out of granite. Diamante has a chin like Jay Leno. 

- MJF got hurt by the PIP ad run but he got his heat back but just grabbing the mic and taking it forcefully. 

- Jake soliloquized while his charge canned people like they were in high school. 

- KINGSTON. You guys have been watching him in JAPW, Chikara, etc. for years and I've seen maybe three matches of his. Can we please just get a thread of stuff for me/us to watch? If I typed in "Segunda Caida Eddie Kingston" to Google it'd take me a year to sift through.

During the main I was eating dinner but it sounded hot as hell, and little shithead Guevara is back so I presume it ruled. Wild night of wrestling.

• Like 3

Damn, top to bottom that might be one of my favorite Dynamite episodes they've done. I was in love with that opener and the FCA tag was wonderfully chaotic. And it ended with a fun main event and Sammy returning. Man I loved it. 

• Like 6

Honestly, I thought the worst thing on this show was still fine. Every segment accomplished something, and the first hour felt like bat out of hell chaos. I missed the Mud Show sign, I am sad.

I almost forgot about Lance Archer dumping A NERD through the roof and into a trash can. Amazing.

• Like 2

This wasn't better than the Atlanta Dynamite, but that one's the best US wrestling card of the year, so that's no biggie. This was probably the most entertaining AEW show of the covid era, other than the Matt Hardy golf cart episode. Everything worked. When the worst thing on the show was a perfectly fine Diamante- Ivelisse match, you did something right.

Sign Eddie Kingston NOW. Not tomorrow, not after breakfast. Now. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

If I typed in "Segunda Caida Eddie Kingston" to Google it'd take me a year to sift through.

This a a good year to do that, then. 

Hero/Kingston Loser Leaves Town, despite the tornado of Zandig dipshittery surrounding it, is probably the big one.

• Like 2

Awesome show. Hell of a way to kick it off with Cody/Kingston, sick tacks bump and dug the finish coming off Kingston selling the knee throughout the match. Falls Count Anywhere was a blast, loved that and the finish looked spectacular. Archer tossing the dude through the ceiling was the absolute best. Great to see Ivelisse, always a favorite of mine. Kind of surprised she didn't go over but I enjoyed the match and I like Diamante too .Would like to see both signed. Solid main event, Jungle Boy's rana at the end taking out Ortiz and Santana was amazing. Totally wasn't even thinking about Guevara so that was a neat surprise I didn't see coming. Good stuff. 

• Like 4