DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 7/22/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Robert Stone vs Shotzi's tank is such a great feud. Stone taking the bump off the steps when she ran into it made me laugh.

Roddy/Reed/Gargano wasn't that bad. Right man won.

Main event was the usual HBK public theater exhibition. I still like Kross and him vs Lee should be a good match.

• Like 2

Dain/Lumis was a match.

Breezango vs. 3.0 was fun while it lasted.

Shotzi/Aliyah was solid. I'm enjoying everything with Shotzi vs. the Robert Stone Brand so far. Poor Stone getting his other leg crushed was wonderful. Mercedes murdering Shotzi with that boot at the end was nice. I liked seeing Mercedes join the group later on. The way she did it just stating exactly what she wanted from the partnership was good. Its also good to see Stone have at least one serious charge in his brand. 

The promo for Swerve was neat. I'm glad they are trying to do something more with him.

The parts I saw of the triple threat were mostly fine. Thought it was nice in general to see Reed gettign built up there and actually get such a big win.

Thatcher/Orcan was good once again. Dug Orcan actually having the advantage even in loss. Wonder if they go stip next time.

Kross/Dijakovic was ok until the ending stretch.

Show was decent overall though I can't say I find myself excited about Lee/Kross.

Not a fan of Lee giving up a title like that. I know NXT has a history of the champ vacating but that was when people were 'moving up' to the main roster.

I think a much more interesting story would have been "Limitless" Keith Lee finding his limits.

How many weeks in a row can you defend your titles from challengers up and down the card? How many times can you fight twice in a night?

Edited by L_W_P

So is it possible that the reason NXT suddenly crashed in the ratings is because they went all out to say the GAB shows were going to be these epic mini-takeovers, and then they happened and they were basically normal weeks of TV? For all the fuss about AEW over-promising and under-delivering, and it's NXT that actually takes a hit for it?

Because if they actually get people invested in having a historic double champion and the belts have never been unified before et cetera, and then the dude just gives one belt up like it is of no value to him, it's a great way to let the fans know to not bother emotionally investing in the stuffing instead of potatoes.

I think it’s lame that they didn’t let Keith run with the Double Gold for a while, but it’s clear from the ratings that there weren’t a lot of people exited to see him run with both belts, so...*shrug*

I mean, it’s a quick trigger, for sure, but the ratings fell off a cliff the week after he won.  You’d like to see more sustained enthusiasm for a new champ than that.  Worse, he opened the show afrer he won, set up a double title match for later in the night...and the ratings went down.

At the very least, it suggests that Keith doesn’t move the needle anymore than anyone else in NXT, so, in that light, I could kinda understand not wanting to have all your eggs in that basket.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

At the very least, it suggests that Keith doesn’t move the needle anymore than anyone else in NXT.

The brand is the star, last I heard.

I think there is a real issue with the fact that what sold NXT 5 years ago was not so much the 'Stars of tomorrow, Today' thing, so much as the 'Wrestling Alternative to bland main roster WWE' concept. And now AEW exists, and NXT is more similar to the Raw/Smackdown style than it's ever been, so...

Some people are utterly convinced that you can solve a problem by making it worse, y'know?

• Like 2

That’s true. It was also, I think, the appeal of “see the buzzworthy might-be stars who you haven’t had the time or inclination to track down, but have heard a lot about.” So, if interest ever started to wain, there was always another name to arrive, with ready made feuds and angles. AEW has hurt that, but so has WWE’s own hiring practices, and the pandemic. They can shuffle main roster stars down briefly, but the instant novelty of the latest indie/Japanese darling is diminished, as there are simply fewer.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

Breezango/Ever-Rise was probably one of the most entertaining match this year. The commentary was on point (goofy af) and both teams was a freakin blast to watch.

Aliyah is basically playing the role of the great supportive girlfriend (who is juggling her career and her love life) with a leech of a boyfriend that's Robert Stone. Seriously love this storyline.

Totally dug the triple threat, everyone looked good. Bronson win was left field.

Kross/Dijakovic was the height of male soap opera and I loved every second of it.

RE: Lee as double champion

I think it would've been more effective if there was some sort of rule that if the NA champ wins the NXT title, the NA title is automatically vacated, instead of what they did with Lee and the two titles.

• Like 2