DVDVR Message Board

Gimmicks that lasted longer than you thought

On 7/21/2020 at 1:00 PM, The Green Meanie said:

Even stranger is that team of "Armageddon" - never seen them before! Bull looks super awkward in that outfit.

I was today years old when I learned that the Truth Commission was Bull Buchanan, Mantaur, and some guy who broke Otto Wanz' record for World Titles in CWA!

34 minutes ago, caley said:

I was today years old when I learned that the Truth Commission was Bull Buchanan, Mantaur, and some guy who broke Otto Wanz' record for World Titles in CWA!

Wait, Mantaur wasn't in the Truth Commission.

Edited by PetrolCB

Apparently he was according to Wiki. I had to look 'em all up too because who knows who the fuck Armageddon were? 

United States Wrestling Association and second return to WWF (1997)[edit]

Halac then worked in the United States Wrestling Association as Tank, a member of The Truth Commission where he wore a mask.[2] He won the Unified World Heavyweight Championship, his first and only wrestling title, on March 15, 1997, after defeating then-champion Jerry Lawler.[16] He lost the belt back to Lawler in a rematch seven days later.[16] Later that spring, Tank was involved in a controversy surrounding the World Tag Team Championship. While The Interrogator and Recon (Tank's teammates in The Truth Commission) held the title, Tank substituted for The Interrogator in one match and his team lost the title to Nick Dinsmore and Flash Flanagan.[17] The title change was declared invalid, however, as Tank was not one of the official holders of the World Tag Team Title.[17] He returned to the WWF in June 1997 with the Truth Commission as he fought as Tank. He was on two Shotgun Saturday Night episodes for 6 tag matches until his release later that summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Apparently he was according to Wiki. I had to look 'em all up too because who knows who the fuck Armageddon were? 

Sniper and Recon after they split from The Jackyl and Kurrgan.

• Like 1

Not a gimmick, but apparently Ezekiel Jackson was around full-time for a solid 4 years from being TBK's enforcer in mid-2008 to when he got injured mid-2012. I do equate he and Koslov's tenure with the darkest days of WWE so that period is a bit of a blur.

Road Warrior Animal was a thing in WWE for nearly a year from July 05 to June 06. I could've sworn he was only around for like 3-4 months where he teamed with Heidenreich and Matt Hardy before going back to his original 1980s Road Warrior look (minus the tiny booty jorts). Apparently he lost to Matt Hardy in a MITB qualifying match and lost a match to Benoit for the US title too. Road Warrior Animal in 2006 in a MITB match would've been a interesting to say the least.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Wait, Mantaur wasn't in the Truth Commission.

Yeah, I'm not sure Tank ever made the WWF version but he was in the group!

Poor old Mantaur...this part of his wiki stood out to me

After leaving the WWF, Halac returned to his Bruiser Mastino ring name and joined Extreme Championship Wrestling. He debuted there on December 1, 1995, with a victory over The Dark Ninja.[14] Eight days later, he lost to Hack Meyers at December to Dismember.[14] A few weeks after that, he lost to 911.[14] At Holiday Hell, Mastino defeated El Puerto Ricano in his final match for the promotion, in which he was jeered with "Mantaur" chants from the always-vocal ECW audience.[14] Halac then briefly returned to the Catch Wrestling Association as Terminator Mastino.[2][14]

Jerks!

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just go watch the Sandman/Konnan match in the Clubberin' thread where they openly jeer Konnan for daring to wrestle. Quite the crowd, those Philly folks. 

I was really happy with my insights on that one and it fell into a black hole, so I'm glad someone looked at it at least!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caley said:

After watching it, it's really clear how much WWF half-assed the Truth Commission gimmick. "Hey, we've still got Mantaur under contract, put him in the group." "Isn't he a little...obese for a soldier...and people will recognize him." "Put a black mask over his face, that's a perfectly normal thing for a soldier." "Gold!"

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, Uncle Coaster said:

Lance Von Erich wrestled as a Von Erich in World Class for about a year and a half. I always remembered it being less than a year. 

Holy crap I could've sworn Fritz pulled the plug on that quicker than 1 year and a half. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Honestly I'm surprised anyone remembers the Truth Commission itself. WE shouldn't remember them but we're weirdos. 

Not only that, but what about their original leader. Wasn't he some stage actor that Bret was friends with?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Guys, Fandango has been around for 7 wonderful years.

That still blows my mind.

People always talk about Undertaker and Kane taking limited shelf-life gimmicks and making a career with them but Fandango probably deserves even more credit in that regard because his was a not thought out, half-baked gimmick to capitalize on a then-current fad and through sheer force of will, performance, weirdness and creativity, somehow Fandango has carved out a long term WWE career out of it.  Whether it be the “Fawn-dawn-gooo” pronounciation stuff or all the Fashion Police stuff, it’s really incredible what he’s done there. 

Edited by caley
  • Like 3