DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2013-14 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Lakers are .500. D'Antoni for Coach of the Year! :)

If they win their next game on Tuesday, which being that they are on an east coast road trip, is a good possibility, they'll have the same record as last year's team only without Dwight, Kobe and Nash (well Nash wasn't around last year either), plus they've looked a lot better.

Gasol's finally starting to get back to his old self. Its been a while since the Lakers had 2-3 guys who could score off the bench.

5 West teams on the outside of the 8 playoff spots right now would be battling for the 4th seed out East!

Kobe gets a 2-year, $48 million dollar extension. I guess he took a paycut of about $6 million for next year. 

Wonder if they'll extend Gasol now or let him hit free agency this summer.

The only positive I'm taking from this is that it hopefully means he's killing it in practices, because there's no way he's worth that if he's anything less than 100%.

Not incredibly pleased with that dollar amount.  Lakers need the money for fresh blood. And yeah, I'm guessing they let Gasol walk.

Kobe gets a 2-year, $48 million dollar extension. I guess he took a paycut of about $6 million for next year. 

Wonder if they'll extend Gasol now or let him hit free agency this summer.

The only positive I'm taking from this is that it hopefully means he's killing it in practices, because there's no way he's worth that if he's anything less than 100%.

Not incredibly pleased with that dollar amount.  Lakers need the money for fresh blood. And yeah, I'm guessing they let Gasol walk.

That's what I'm thinking. I personally hope they keep Gasol now that they've figured out he should be a center and despite D'Antoni and Pau's initial problems, he was a far better fit in this system than Dwight. 

Now I'm curious to know where they stand on Melo. I know he said he's going to stay in New York, but is he going to be their FA target. I'm not a big Melo fan, so I'm pretty indifferent to him and I think adding another max player would hurt the depth.  I've gotten use to D'Antoni playing a 10-11 man rotation. Its better than him playing 7-8 guys.

So with Rose being out for another full season and this time for his other knee, is this basically him done being an elite player?

I don't think there's any way to say. It's a lot of basketball to miss, that's for sure. But he came back in pretty amazing shape off the ACL tear. The only thing we didn't get to see was if he could shake off a year's worth of rust. There were flashes of it, so it seemed possible. I'm optimistic, but it's kind of pointless to even speculate at this point.

As for the team, the gameplan for the Bull's is kind of the same regardless of whether he had played this year or not. Deng will leave. Boozer will get amnestied. They still have to find another all-star level scorer, unless Mirotic is the real deal, in which case he's still coming over in the next year or two. Rose could have played MVP level ball again this year and that would still be the future of the team. So really there's not a whole lot of change in Chicago with the exception that we are officially out of the race this year.

And here I remember everyone wondering why the Bucks were trying to stay in the playoff hunt, instead of tanking to rebuild.  Apparently, they are better at tanking than a lot of teams that were clearly trying to.

And here I remember everyone wondering why the Bucks were trying to stay in the playoff hunt, instead of tanking to rebuild.  Apparently, they are better at tanking than a lot of teams that were clearly trying to.

From what Simmons and other talking heads were saying, the owner of the team didn't want to tank. . . .