DVDVR Message Board

Greatest Rock Guitarists

OSJ

Okay, this came up on another board that has a significantly different demographic, so I thought I'd see what folks here thought:

I give you my guitar heroes: Jimi Hendrix and Alvin Lee; if you asked me which one was better, I honestly couldn't tell you...

27 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Okay, this came up on another board that has a significantly different demographic, so I thought I'd see what folks here thought:

I give you my guitar heroes: Jimi Hendrix and Alvin Lee; if you asked me which one was better, I honestly couldn't tell you...

Define rock, because Prince and Ernie Isley need to be included in any greatest guitarist conversations.  

• Like 4

Tony Iommi

Tipton/Downing

Piggy

Robert Fripp

Mark Shelton

Paul Chain

I mean considering my interests it is really hard for me not to just dive into duos. But then there are guitarists who form an entire nucleus of a band, like Greg Ginn or Wino Weinrich or Steve Albini. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Buckethead and no one will ever change my mind.

I’ve seen him live 4 times now and each was an amazing experience. 

1 of the Times was in Minneapolis right after Prince died. He came out in a purple bucket and killed it with a ton of Prince songs.

75-CBBAE2-1-BF6-43-E9-AD1-F-60-AD8-C69-E

Color on the pic is crummy, but that’s purple around the bucket

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Define rock, because Prince and Ernie Isley need to be included in any greatest guitarist conversations.  

The only reason that I didn't mention them is that I knew that you would! ?

Johnny Ramone, because he proved anyone, including YOU, could be one too.

Billy Gibbons, because Hendrix was the best, and Hendrix said Billy Gibbons was his favorite.

Prince, because when people used to ask Eric Clapton what it was like being the greatest living guitarist, he would reply "I don't know; ask Prince."

Dark horse suggestion: Mike Campbell from the late and lamented Tom Petty's Heartbreakers & Mudcrutch. He never seems to have played three notes when two would do, and if any of those ended up being bum notes I never heard them.

Other names for the hat...

Scotty Moore

Buddy Guy

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Steve Howe

Eric Johnson

12 minutes ago, moribund said:

Dark horse suggestion: Mike Campbell from the late and lamented Tom Petty's Heartbreakers & Mudcrutch. He never seems to have played three notes when two would do, and if any of those ended up being bum notes I never heard them.

Other names for the hat...

Scotty Moore

Buddy Guy

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Steve Howe

Eric Johnson

Good picks all! I'm sort of surprised that no one has brought up Jimmy Page yet. Has his star fallen that far?

I've heard that Hendrix used the same quote Clapton used, only about Rory Gallagher. 

Personally I'm fine NOT having shredders on the list. We need emotional content, as Bruce Lee once said. If anyone says Yngwie they should be forced to listen to Uli Jon Roth at gunpoint. 

EDIT: And where the fuck is my brain today? BUCK FUCKING DHARMA. 

EDIT II: Okay it is silly to say listen to the shredder that influenced the other shredder. If you bring up Yngwie then we force you to listen to Shitlickers at gunpoint. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I've heard both Hendrix and Clapton in the story so it's probably as apocryphal as the story about Humble Pie getting just about booed off the stage causing guitarist Steve Marriott to grab the mic and say "If there's anyone out there that thinks they can do better, just come up here and try!" A nondescript chap with long hair  walked up to the stage and was allowed on by security with prompting from Marriott. The man took Marriott's guitar and turned to the microphone, "Good evening, I'm Eric Clapton..." Probably not a bit true but a cool story none-the-less.

Oh, many years ago my late step-daughter idolized Yngwie and forced me to listen (I got even by making her listen to Status Quo!) 

9 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Johnny Ramone, because he proved anyone, including YOU, could be one too.

^ This! I am a shit guitar player but I always console myself by thinking "I'm at least as good as Johnny Ramone!"

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've heard that Hendrix used the same quote Clapton used, only about Rory Gallagher. 

Personally I'm fine NOT having shredders on the list. We need emotional content, as Bruce Lee once said. If anyone says Yngwie they should be forced to listen to Uli Jon Roth at gunpoint. 

EDIT: And where the fuck is my brain today? BUCK FUCKING DHARMA. 

EDIT II: Okay it is silly to say listen to the shredder that influenced the other shredder. If you bring up Yngwie then we force you to listen to Shitlickers at gunpoint. 

The same quote has gone around Canada only it is Eddie Van Halen being asked what it is like to be the best guitarist and he replies I don't know ask Bruce Cockburn.  

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'd rather Yngwie be on the list than any of the Spawn of Garcia. Besides, in the words of Keith Morris, "the Grateful Dead were a country band". 

However, the Dead get cool points for taking their name from a pulp magazine cover...The Secret 6 Classics: League of the Grateful Dead (The Suicide ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

Chuck Berry

Duane Allman

Bruce Springsteen

Nils Lofgren

Garry Moore

Steve Stevens

Nancy Wilson

Mike Ness

Poison Ivy

and for influence alone, Maybelle Carter and Lightnin Hopkins.

Great picks! I am ashamed that I didn't mention Poison Ivy myself.