DVDVR Message Board

The Washington Commanders Can Fuck Right Off

hammerva

On 2/12/2022 at 2:44 PM, Tabe said:

I have no problem with Riggins, or any other player, demanding money before they allow their name on jerseys. 

I would pay a million dollars for a Doug Williams / Washington Commanders jersey.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I would pay a million dollars for a Doug Williams / Washington Commanders jersey.

At the moment the only one they are selling is Sean Taylor but considering Doug Williams is a team employee and a shill - I assure you, you will get the opportunity

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/21/washington-post-poll-shows-lukewarm-local-support-for-commanders-name/

The Washington Post has done what the Washington Commanders should have done before picking their new name.

The Post has conducted a poll of local residents regarding the nickname that replaces Washington Football Team, the two-season placeholder used after the team abruptly dumped its prior name, finally (and properly) acknowledging that the time had come to change a name that was and is a dictionary-defined racial slur. The results show that local residents aren’t smitten with the selection.

The poll of 904 D.C. residents found that 41 percent have positive feelings about the name (five percent love it, 36 percent like it) and that 49 percent have negative feelings about the name (17 percent hate it, 32 percent dislike it). Eleven percent had no opinion.

The same poll found that 43 percent prefer “Washington Football Team,” 26 percent prefer Commanders, and 22 percent prefer the former name that was abandoned in July 2020.

• Haha 2

Of course not before they fought with the NFL because their first solution to fixing it was changing to roman numerals and the NFL told them to fuck off because they have that trademarked and no team can use the roman numerals

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To the surprise of no one - the RG3 Tell All Book was a work of fiction

Link no longer exists. All tweets referencing it deleted, etc etc

Aw, somebody cut him a check.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anheuser-Busch has ended their partnership with Washington

It is the third company in the past year to do so

Anheuser-Busch’s divorce from the team comes only a month after Medliminal, a medical bill review company based in Northern Virginia, declined to renew its partnership with the team, and less than a year after Inova, a nonprofit health-care provider in Northern Virginia, cut short its partnership with the team.

Medliminal announced its partnership with the team in August 2019, but terms were not disclosed. The company did not respond when contacted about its decision not to renew.

It was announced in 2016 that Inova agreed to a 10-year partnership with the Commanders that included naming rights for its training facility in Ashburn, Va., as well as the sponsorship of media content and team wellness programs. Robin West, a sports medicine and orthopedic surgeon who is now chair of Inova Sports Medicine, also became the team’s director of sports medicine.

But last April, Inova said its physicians, including West, would no longer work with the Commanders to “allow Inova’s orthopedic leadership team to focus on business and growth opportunities.” West is still a team physician for the Washington Nationals.

Inova also said that its separate sponsorship agreement with the team that included its naming rights deal for the practice facility would end after the 2021 season, five years early. The company’s signage is still scattered throughout the team’s headquarters, though, including the entrance to the facility and on the practice bubble.

While none of the companies have publicly cited a specific reason - almost everyone believes it has been do to the sexual assault charges against the team and Dan Snyder

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, hammerva said:

Is Carson Wentz getting his advice from Jim Zorn

I'm really surprised no one has made a workplace comedy that is just a thinly veiled reenactment of the Jim Zorn years. I can't even describe how hilarious it was in real time living around a bunch of Football Team fans,  while not being one. He was terrible, he wasn't respected by anyone in the organization,  and by the end all he could do was call special teams plays so he decided to call the same fake field goal twice in a row. I have been following football as long as I remember and it's probably the most entertained I've ever been by the sport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

CAKES!

God the best part of the Swinging Gate remains that they got into formation, the Giants called timeout because they were all WTF and then Washington STILL ran the play

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

CAKES!

God the best part of the Swinging Gate remains that they got into formation, the Giants called timeout because they were all WTF and then Washington STILL ran the play

The best part is that you knew Zorn did it because they took all other power away from him. He was the head coach but wasn't allowed to call plays on either offense or defense,  so he called the most ridiculous fake field goal possible twice even after the Giants knew it was coming. I can't even imagine how much he hated Snyder at that point. 

• Like 1

The are two sports talk stations in Washington - now neither of them will be broadcasting Washington games

The Team 980 will no longer broadcast Washington Commanders games.

Commanders games will not be broadcast on The Team 980 or any Audacy stations in the 2022 season, Kevin Sheehan announced on behalf of the station Wednesday.

The organization and the company “disagreed on the value of the broadcasts [and] it is also very important for us as a sports talk station, even as a long-time flagship station for the team, it was important for us to continue to be able to provide honest, objective information and analysis about the [Commanders] on our talk shows,” Sheehan said.

Sheehan announced that The Team 980 will debut new Washington football gameday coverage for the 2022 NFL season "including at least four hours of pregame coverage, a new in-game talk show focusing on analysis and fan-reaction and in-game betting angles" and capped with complete postgame coverage.

“It was important for us to be able to continue to provide what we provide on our talk shows which is honest, objective analysis about the team,” Sheehan said.

IE: the team wanted them to not say mean things about them

(For context - Dan Snyder used to own 980. Both sports talk stations are owned by Audacy)

• Thanks 1

That last sentence might be the most ridiculous bullshit in well a couple weeks ago with this team.  I mean people in this area have had to deal with Larry Michael's propaganda that was so bad that they made a bit on it 

They are so worried about saying mean things yet the radio broadcast was on a AM station.  Maybe it happens regularly but NFL games on a AM station seems very 1998

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

They are so worried about saying mean things yet the radio broadcast was on a AM station.  Maybe it happens regularly but NFL games on a AM station seems very 1998

A lot teams (not just football) are still broadcast on AM because that is where the sports station is. Granted it is a different animal but WFAN has the Yankees and the Giants

Most simulcast on a FM station too - the Washington games were also on WMAL

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

A lot teams (not just football) are still broadcast on AM because that is where the sports station is. Granted it is a different animal but WFAN has the Yankees and the Giants

Most simulcast on a FM station too - the Washington games were also on WMAL

When I got rid of cable but was still following the Panthers, I could listen to the games on the Charlotte AM station's website, so they're pretty connected to the modern fan. Yeah, you got some really cheesy commercials (poor Luke Kuechly did a bunch while he was still playing), but the announcers really loved the team.

• Like 1