DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fight For The Fallen II - 7/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Holy shit. Males 12 -34 for AEW was .2.

NXT was .02.

The weird thing is, I honestly don't see THAT much of a difference between NXT and AEW. If anything, AEW is a superior version of what Raw or SD is and NXT edges closer to what AEW is. So for NXT to have nearly no kids watching is fucking weird. I don't get it. I can't just be that WWE has an uncool stigma to them or something because NXT so much different than Raw or SD. 

I am fascinated by 2020’s 12 year old wrestling demographic. What are they into in AEW? It’s not like they are overtly marketing to that demo. What are the kids at Bergen County Middle talking about with the pro graps?

I can imagine Jurassic Express, Lucha Bros and OC are hits?

34 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Lol. I think it'd depend on their opponents too. Keith Lee had a big week last week but it was against Cole. 

Plus they’d advertised that. I think he’d have did better last night with Dijakovic had they hyped it ahead of time. AEW definitely chose the smarter approach. 

Throwing a world title match on TV with zero build or announcement ahead of time is asking to get beat. 

With all the talk about Sonny's entrance and cheerleaders I thought we'd finally get the Velvet Skye entrance by Sonny Kiss. After all if Sonny is gonna cosplay as Velvet, especially when you got Taz on commentary, I'm dying for just a 1 night return of "let the pigeons loose!" (Incoming Settle down 'Busanetico?) Stupid silly sarcastic thoughts aside that was one hell of an opener! 

Ortiz is king of maximizing TV time even if he's not the featured player and I hope and wish he gets a giant push with some gold (singles or tag matters not) and a strong run headlining one of the AEW shows weekly. He's up there with Archer I think where they instinctively know where the camera will be at all times and they just make the most of every minute they get on air.

Speaking of Taz mentioning Sonny's entrance being mindgames to mess with Cody, I didn't expect Pants Free JR to pop up so early on commentary "I'm enjoying the uh.... presentation!" ?  Maybe a settle down JRnetico?

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Haha 1

As a general point, Jericho's enthusiasm is infectious. He's such a perfectionist - he seems like the extremely rare breed who just throws himself in to the moment he's in and tries to make his current situation as absolutely successful as possible. In some respects he probably could have coasted at AEW (fat contract; out of the WWE limelight knowing he could go back there whenever he wanted probably) but he's out there and even trying to innovate and show passion on commentary where he can. A very different performance to some other 'vet' appearances in promotions of bygone eras.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I am fascinated by 2020’s 12 year old wrestling demographic .. I can imagine Jurassic Express, Lucha Bros and OC are hits?

Moxley, Hangman, MJF probably? For some reason I think the self-referential OC style would appeal to older more niche fans; I mean for genuine kids, they were just toddlers when the genesis of OC's gimmick aired (yes, Drive is really almost a decade old already!). The more gritty & real to life characters I would assume would be appealing to that age group in the manner that Stone Cold, The Rock etc were the most appealing of the 90s/00s sets above and beyond the cartoonish/comedic acts.

I still don't understand the fascination of the 50+ demographic with nXt. 

Fantastic episode last night. Mox is such a star. Big, good looking guy who's effortlessly the most charismatic performer on American wrestling tv, regardless of brand or gender. Ride that wagon 'til the wheels fall off. 

Loved that 6 man tag. Jungle Boy is gonna be someone they build around in just a few years. Luchasaurus and Marko brought the effort, too. That Destroyer spot was aces. If you're gonna use a wayyy overexposed move like the destroyer, set it up in an original way. That was two in two weeks, and I don't hate it at all.

FTR and Lucha Bros was really good, but I feel like they have better in them. The postmatch thing with Omega was interesting. 

Liked all the women's stuff. Ivelisse joining up is big for them. Adds a lot of value and depth.

I was CRYING with laughter from Jericho. Whatever they're paying that dude, he's earning it...

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Digging the 'showcase' nature of the TNT belt. I've heard it denigrated as "jobber of the week" but to look at it cup-half-full, it gives different talent a platform to do their thing for a title and are guaranteed a good match pretty much. 

I thought the NWA's Lucky 7 concept, minus the fact that draws counted as wins and the 6:05 time limit, would be great for the TNT belt, and a way to get around Cody's stip if needbe.

How I'd do it, perhaps after Cody loses it:

Every week , folks interested in the shot enter their names, a name is drawn from the hat (can still be someone "not in AEW" if you want to debut someone)

That person gets announced on Dark, the match is on Dynamite

20 min time limit, you win, it's 1 notch towards 7. 

You draw, no time limit rematch to open the show the following week.

You get 7 wins, you get to automatically face the champ the next opportunity that's avaliable and you vacate the title (so if the champ has a match scheduled the following week, you get it the week after, though you still vacate the belt)

A vacated belt is decided in a battle royal the following week.

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Chris Jericho is the GOAT. The Demogod is legit one of the funniest fucking things in wrestling.

To me it's so cringe. But if this means Tony Khan stops whining on Twitter whenever AEW loses any "ratings war" it's a win for that company.

I eagerly await the Guy Fieri Demo God shirts any day now. 

• Thanks 1

You can tell by the way Cody stares just a little bit longer each week at the weightlifting belt before tossing it away that they’re setting up the moment 3-4 months from now where he finally decides to start whipping someone with it (and not just because nobody wears a weight belt in wrestling unless they’re gonna use it).

I can’t decide whether that or “double cross during the post match sportsmanship when he finally loses” will be the better Cody Turn Moment. The only wrong choice would be doing both too close to each other that first time.

Agree that the intensity and nastiness from Sonny Kiss made this my favorite match of theirs. Though I really like the Kiss/Janella Odd Couple team in general and even though the tag team scene is crowded with talent I could get into their Cinderella run at a title bout/win.

• Like 2