DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fight For The Fallen II - 7/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

If Jericho gets beat today, I will laugh. 

The UFC main card was after Dynamite, but it's going to take a chunk from their money demo at the very least.

On the bright side, this will make Jericho take this to another level.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Man, seeing Abadon post mother fucking Austin Powers memes just kills her gimmick. I get wanting brand exposure and kids these days but damn it. 

So much for being a fan of Abadon...

?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

AEW: All Our Tag Teams Are Assholes. 

Youve got the Bucks who are the face-iest team in the company and still sneak-attacked two guys last night; Omega and Page: the former needlessly beat up a face after the match, the latter drank with the guys who actively embarrassed his partner earlier in the night.  And FTR who cheat like crazy and dumped a beer over the head of a guy trying to make amends.  And those are the FACE teams!

Kiss-Cody had way too much hesitation for me and Kiss, for a wrestler seemed to have the most powerful legs in AEW, needs to have some way better kicks or stop doing them altogether.  That Vertebreaker should not be used again as it almost killed Kiss.  

I actually thought Omega/Bucks-Jurassic was match of the night.  Tons of fun innovative spots and pretty much the only match where the outcome was in any sort of doubt. 

• Like 2

When/if Kenny turns, I need a full bully match vs. Marko. No 50/50 nonsense. Marko gets like 3 hope spots and a lot of pain. He's really good in his role and I'm glad he's starting to win over some doubters. 

Also, I was so happy when Nick did his hot tag routine on Marko doing the floss. Perfection. 

That match was fucking great and they may really want to add a six man tag title. It's good they aren't devaluing their belts by  spamming new titles but that could be a fun way of getting midcard acts that aren't ready for single pushes over, main evening the odd Dynamite, and it's no secret they have a shit load of good trios. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

Very solid show.  Loved Sonny Kiss vs. Cody.  The heel turn is in full swing, but it was good to see the sportsmanship at the end of the match.

Loved the contrast in styles in the Luchas vs. FTR match.  Hated the fucking angle at the end.  The mask foul was only the beginning of the bullshit.

When a man brings a peace offering, you fucking accept it.  You can even see Kenny saying "Just this once," as proof that he doesn't normally drink alcohol, but would do it this time for the sake of earning respect.

The pouring of beer on his head was a total dick move on FTR's part. 

Elite vs. Jurassic was fun AF.  I nearly spilled Dr. Pepper all over the place when Jungle Boy countered the rope assisted facebuster.   Given the events in the aftermath of the FTR / Luchas match, I kinda felt bad pulling against Kenny Omega, but the team with Fun Size Marco Stunt is going to get the face shine no matter what.  He and Jungle Boy are the the Millennial Ricky Steamboats and whomever is in the other corner are automatically the heels.

The longer the main event went on, the more I wanted Brian Cage to win.  Now I want Darby to take the belt.  I think I am done with the Moxley title run.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Elite vs. Jurassic was fun AF.  I nearly spilled Dr. Pepper all over the place when Jungle Boy countered the rope assisted facebuster.   Given the events in the aftermath of the FTR / Luchas match, I kinda felt bad pulling against Kenny Omega, but the team with Fun Size Marco Stunt is going to get the face shine no matter what.  He and Jungle Boy are the the Millennial Ricky Steamboats and whomever is in the other corner are automatically the heels.

oh man... i can totally see Jungle Boy evolving into a Ricky Steamboat. I love that. 

If they start tearing these teams apart & turning character tropes on their head it'll be fun. You've got your mid-card set with likes of Darby, Cage, Jurassic E. - that's all fine. More than enough substance for a Top of Card run w. Omega/Hangman/Moxley/Cody/FTR etc. Get Cody heel, keep the babyfaces unconventional/antihero types like Mox and just starting swinging with momentum. I think it was all a little too "neat" and convoluted for a few months there but they've got loads of fun directions they can take this in now.

Well, looks like Meltzer was wrong about the impact of NASCAR and UFC on AEW's and NXT's ratings last night. Both shows did perfectly fine. The moment he started hand wringing over how low the viewership would be, I figured each show would be about the same. NXT dropped, but they're right around average. Again, this isn't to say Dave is always wrong, but whenever he says one thing about what ratings will be, I always just figure it will be the opposite.

I guess that's why they pay Moxley the big money. Is NXT not loading up their shows anymore with main roster talent and hotshotting big matches? 

edit: did anybody else immediately go to Jericho's twitter page?

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1

They had Lee defending his double gold against Dijak, but I don’t think they promoted it ahead of time. Main event was Io/Nox, which is pretty “eh” as a draw.  Not at all surprised that Big Money Mox trounced them.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah they can't take the title off Moxley. There's no one else there really like him & its just not needed. Doesn't mean they can't craft the others into eminently marketable main eventers at the same time though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, looks like Meltzer was wrong about the impact of NASCAR and UFC on AEW's and NXT's ratings last night. Both shows did perfectly fine. The moment he started hand wringing over how low the viewership would be, I figured each show would be about the same. NXT dropped, but they're right around average. Again, this isn't to say Dave is always wrong, but whenever he says one thing about what ratings will be, I always just figure it will be the opposite.

Unless it's a show coming after a bad holiday number (I forget his reaction after the FS1 Smackdown number), Dave is a bit fair weathered when it comes to ratings. That or he straddles the fence. With that said, I didn't expect UFC to hurt the overall AEW number at all. UFC PPV prelim portions on ESPN don't even do that high (unless it's a McGregor fight where they show him arriving at the arena during a NBA game on ABC in primetime like they did with the Cerrone fight) so a mid week UFC prelim card with essentially all prospects/debutantes isn't hurting AEW. Like I said, the main card started at 10 p.m. ET, so no H2H competition really.  I don't know when the NASCAR race started, but being the first big sport back with about 20,000 fans seems like a big deal to me. Moreover, you have some of the allure of it being an All-Star race. However, coming off a strong show last week coupled with the build to the AEW title match probably would pay dividends. Turns out it did.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Holy shit. Males 12 -34 for AEW was .2.

NXT was .02.

The weird thing is, I honestly don't see THAT much of a difference between NXT and AEW. If anything, AEW is a superior version of what Raw or SD is and NXT edges closer to what AEW is. So for NXT to have nearly no kids watching is fucking weird. I don't get it. I can't just be that WWE has an uncool stigma to them or something because NXT so much different than Raw or SD. 

9 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I picked up my phone a minute ago, and I saw I got a Demo God t-shirt email from ShopAEW in my Yahoo account. THIS WAS DELIBERATE!

• Like 1