DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fight For The Fallen II - 7/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Cody vs. Sonny came off like an extended AEW Dark match to me. I think they could've given Sonny Kiss a couple more hope spots before having him just get obliterated but just managing to survive until the Cross Rhodes. 

FTR vs. Lucha Bros. was good, though it seemed they took a bit to gel at the start.

I enjoyed Cage/Moxley. And I think they at least did a good job on commentary selling the fact that Cage had a previous arm injury. I think it at least gives the fuel to run the match back later down the line. 

Good execution on the Jericho/Cassidy angle. And using that to transition to Jericho on commentary worked very well. Not sure about a Jericho/Cassidy rematch. But if they are going to do it, seems like it would make sense for Cassidy to go over this time.

• Like 1

When Mox switched arms, did he switch from the injured one to the undamaged one for the finish? Because that would make no sense.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Your solution to Moxley not working for New Japan in the US is to have Moxley work for New Japan in the US?

Two words: Canada.

———

I love how Mox walks. It makes me feel good seeing him in the main event again. 

• Like 1

Where was Tony?

Jericho absolutely killed it on commentary again. "I'M COVERED IN ORANGE JUICE, JIM!", "his cold dead living hands", "what, were you five years old then?" and "stupid bald head idiot".

Surprised no one mentioned Ortiz TAKING A BUMP FROM ORANGE JUICE. Ortiz taking bumps from things is quickly becoming my new favorite thing.

Overall a great show as usual tonight.

Apparently next week we have a local talent vs. local talent match in Ivelisse vs. Diamante?

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 3

What is the proper pronoun to address Sonny? Commentary was very inconsistent with what they used. I liked what I saw of Sonny and I would like to see more. I thought the entrance with the cheerleaders was interesting and with their kick based offense and flexibility, you truly have someone who stands out in a good way. I think Cody is doing a good job of showcasing a lot of wrestlers who wouldn't get the spotlight. Arn losing his shit and Cody steadily heading heel is also good storytelling.

I love the Lucha Bros. I love their pace, how interesting their moves are, and the energy they bring when there are crowds. Understood why they had to lose but blah. I think if given the chance where one team turns face, with P&P's selling, I think they and the Lucha Bros could tear the house down.

OC is a license to print money. Jericho is right in saying that he's making him look like even more of a star. Is OC a character you could put the belt on one day or is he better without one?

• They're clearly teasing a stable managed by Tully featuring Cody, Shawn, Cash, ad Dax. Do we think they'll pull the trigger or not?
  • The vertebreaker was nasty. And I think I saw Cody reaching back to figure out where Sonny's head was. Did not like. Hope Sonny's okay.
  • Seriously: Arn's facials were great. The camera should find excuses to find him even if they aren't using him for some heavy-handed storytelling. 
  • FTR-Luchas was physical as all hell, which was appreciated. Lucha Bros seemed off a tick, which for their offense looks really bad. I got the sense Penta was pissed after one miscue. 
  • Dear JR: LAY OFF THE FUCKING TAG RULES.
  • Tony and Jericho doubling down on DEMOS~! is hilarious. Fair play to them, the only way to save face is to go all in. Petty as fuck and bush league, but well done.
  • Poor Ortiz almost drowned in that puddle. Wish he would have flat-backed in it a couple more times.
  • $7,000? You're lying (which, for comedy and heel purposes, of course you are) or you're a chump. Love it.
  • When Jurassic Express' double or triple team offence clicks, it really clicks. I loved this match. I wish they had trios belts just so JE could defend them every week. I've really come around on Marko. The purpose he serves in these matches makes for very fun work, and he's more than up to the task. I like him more than Luchasaurus. I wanted them to win so bad.
  • On the other side of that match, I was kind of giggling to myself about how Kenny was going all lazy New Japan tag in a shirt. And then it played brilliantly into the story with Marko. GREAT shit. And for all the shit that's been talked about story not moving forward, they sure showed you. Big yes for heel Kenny. 
  • Best OWA ever. I love Marko Stunt.
  • Jericho going to break (or even closing the show) ranting about being covered in OJ was *chef's kiss*
  • Vickie's theme song really hit me in my happy place. 
  • Taz cuts a hell of a promo. Brian, make the most of it -- stand still and mug for the camera!
  • Main event was decent. Love the less-flippy Cage. Also liked how the one big moonsault worked against him. Taz protecting his meal ticket was a good way to get out of a tricky booking.
  • If we're adding another faction with Tully's group, I'm happy to see the Mox/Darby alliance continue so these loners aren't alone during the FACTION WARZ~!
  • Great episode.
Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:
  • Jericho going to break (or even closing the show) ranting about being covered in OJ was *chef's kiss*
  • Vickie's theme song really hit me in my happy place. 

1) AGREED.

2) I had guessed it was going to be Vickie, but when they accidentally played her theme song before Nyla's that just sealed it.

Cash Wheeler not knowing how to start his truck should be on Botchamania before we wake up in the morning. I was dying.

Vickie's theme song immediately vaults in to the Top-5 All-Time. Can't wait to get drunk and post it in @Zakk_Sabbath's Get drunk and post themes Thread.

• Haha 6

Andy in Kansas (who changes their damned name?!) nailed the majority of points I had on mind. Kiss looked really good, the best he's looked to date but still had some of those weird pauses before he pulls off something cool. Cody is working full heel without a turn and the camera loved watching both Arn and Tully. Arn was so great with his reactions but Tully going Cobra Commander was low key neat. Very good match with a few technical flaws. I feel like Cody made a point to get a more aggressive Sonny in there and it worked. Hella nice elbows. Very promising. 

Thought the FTR/Lucha Bros match was a huge disappointment. Like it's fine but those two are capable of a significantly better effort. This looked every bit that it was the LB's first tag match in months and the first time these teams have worked beyond last week's cluster fuck. The lucha Bros' streak of botching in AEW continues and it just killed the match. Will work better with FTR as full on heels isolating Fenix and slowing it down. 

Conversely, the elite and jurassic express match fucking ruled. Marko was man of the match but the storytelling with Kenny was really good and natural. Canadian destroyer spot was somehow even more convoluted than last week's but I enjoyed it. Aggro Kenny yes plz. 

Mox has shown some really solid, straightforward psychology in big matches. I like it. Cage looked good but I would've liked another few minutes of power offense from cage and arm work to soften his arm more. 

Very good night of pro wrestling. Next week doesn't have any super hype matches but a few that should be good. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Brother, I’m sure there are some jabronie marks losing their minds over Jericho talking about ratings, but crowning himself the Demo God had me cracking up.

Lesson to every other insecure shithead wrestler out there: If you wrap yourself in people's criticism and push it beyond the point of parody, you de-fang your critics. Go ALL IN or don't bother addressing it.

cc: Edge

• Like 3