DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fight For The Fallen II - 7/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

So out of curiosity I know a lot of people used to laugh at Impact Wrestling for having ex WWE guys immediately become their world champion. Wouldn’t AEW look just as silly for having an ex Impact guy come in, and immediately win their belt if they have Cage win tonight? 

I’m good with Moxley losing the title, this just doesn’t feel like the right opponent though. 

9 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I thought a U.S. Territory in Western Pacific could be a loophole I don’t know dude I was only half serious.

Or why not just say it's the country Val Verde from the movie Commando? Instead of representing Guam, Cobb can represent Val Verde. Oh, and instead being called Jon Moxley, he is now named JON MATRIX. This is for both entertainment and litigation purposes.

Are you writing this down, Tony?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If this involves someone dressing up like Bennett then I'm all for it. Bring back the handlebar! 

I forgot about the rankings. Fuck the rankings. 

EDIT: You know what, simple way to solve the ranking problem -- nobody gets a point if there's not a clean finish. Easy peasy.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

IWGP United States Championship Match: The Motion Picture presented by New Japan Pro Wrestling

A screenplay by BEN!

Open wide with an establishing shot of a desert.  An Ennio Morricone-style soundtrack plays throughout.

A black SUV drives into the scene.  Two black-suited dark shades-wearing men of Asian descent exit.  "Get out gaijin dog!" one orders as he opens the back door.  In the back sits the IWGP US Champion Jon Moxley blindfolded.  The other suited man removes the blindfold and barks, "Time to fight!"  "Bout time," Moxley coldly mutters as he headbutts the suited man.  A NJPW ref arrives from seemingly out of nowhere and intervenes screaming "No no!  Opponent over there!"  Moxley's opponent [____] enters the scene.  The two fight for about 15 minutes in the desert wasteland before Moxley hits the Death Rider, cause this is absolutely not taking place in the US where it would be called the Paradigm Shift, and gets the pin and retains the IWGP US Championship.  He then attacks the other suited man and leaves him laying.  Moxley enters the SUV and drives off.  Same wide shot as open but now with the SUV driving off into the desert night kicking up dust.  Roll credits.

3 minutes ago, BEN! said:

IWGP United States Championship Match: The Motion Picture presented by New Japan Pro Wrestling

A screenplay by BEN!

Open wide with an establishing shot of a desert.  An Ennio Morricone-style soundtrack plays throughout.

A black SUV drives into the scene.  Two black-suited dark shades-wearing men of Asian descent exit.  "Get out gaijin dog!" one orders as he opens the back door.  In the back sits the IWGP US Champion Jon Moxley blindfolded.  The other suited man removes the blindfold and barks, "Time to fight!"  "Bout time," Moxley coldly mutters as he headbutts the suited man.  A NJPW ref arrives from seemingly out of nowhere and intervenes screaming "No no!  Opponent over there!"  Moxley's opponent [____] enters the scene.  The two fight for about 15 minutes in the desert wasteland before Moxley hits the Death Rider, cause this is absolutely not taking place in the US where it would be called the Paradigm Shift, and gets the pin and retains the IWGP US Championship.  He then attacks the other suited man and leaves him laying.  Moxley enters the SUV and drives off.  Same wide shot as open but now with the SUV driving off into the desert night kicking up dust.  Roll credits.

I honestly expected Bunkhouse Buck to figure into this somehow.

Now I'm a little disappointed....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If this involves someone dressing up like Bennett then I'm all for it. Bring back the handlebar! 

I forgot about the rankings. Fuck the rankings. 

EDIT: You know what, simple way to solve the ranking problem -- nobody gets a point if there's not a clean finish. Easy peasy.

Seth is Bennett. Seth has always been Bennett.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I honestly expected Bunkhouse Buck to figure into this somehow.

Now I'm a little disappointed....

He's in IWGP United States Championship Match IV: The Voyage Home.

Hey Tony, thanks for reading my posts! ? Soon as I saw the towel I knew it was getting thrown. Good and different finish though, and solid match. The German into the railing was nasty. 

In a continuing theme, a storm knocked out the satellite during AEW AGAIN so I missed the end of the TNT match. Soon as Cody smiled I knew he was gonna heel it up, too. How'd it end? 

Jericho getting slimed (or 'blooded' a la Attitude-era WWF) by the OJ was great. Look at that God's Eye camera angle and you see that they nailed him dead on. The man knows his marks.

• Like 1

This was a really solid show.

Sonny Kiss/Cody was really fucking good, I thought. Way above my expectations. The bump Sonny took on the finish looked like by gawd he snapped in half. Way more intensity in this than I expected.

FTR/Lucha Bros was good, of course it was. The finish got them out of the match in a way that doesn't hurt Lucha Bros, I guess. I'm honestly not as in love with FTR as some people, yet. I'm very leery of "my gimmick is that I have a good match" in an era when every match has 26 nearfalls. I hope we get something on a later show where Lucha Bros get some revenge for the unmasking, I'd like to see that. I want a little more storyline out of FTR to get me excited, you know? I don't know how to describe my issue there exactly, like, they are almost too smooth in the ring for my tastes right now. That's a ridiculous knock but it's the only way for me to phrase it I can come up with.

Jericho out here trolling MavsFan and MavsFan alone with his ratings bit. Bless. Get mad, internet. Joking aside, Jericho is killing it on the mic as an aging prima donna that hates everything about the younger cool guy the kids like better than him. I like how Jericho keeps working in insults that could just be about him (SUNGLASSES! JACKET! who would wear those things?) but his character is pretending he just doesn't see the comparison. I was really unsure what to make of Cassidy when I started watching AEW but this feud honestly rules. 

Jungle Express vs The Elite was a match I assumed was here to be "a bunch of moves that lead to an angle" so I was only halfway into it as a match. Jericho was amazing just riffing on everything on commentary though. "The guy weighs about 17 pounds. Fifteen of them are hair." The end stretch had some bonkers stuff, I'll give it that.

The Nightmare Sisters match was basically a short version of the match they've been working on Dark. It's fine. The show needed some room to breathe at this point, so I'm fine with putting a squash here.

Cage/Moxley was about what I expected. Moxley plays Cactus Jack bump freak to Cage's power game. I thought this actually had a good story that Cage kept control of the match by avoiding playing Moxley's demolition derby brawl game while Moxley goes after the arms. Not sure this needed the towel throw in finish really, but it does keep Cage strong.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Darby being Sabu as fuck

I still say "SABU!!!" every time the lights go out

Yeah that hair line about Marko was great, Jericho was on fire all night again. "MY JACKET COST $7000!"

Christ, that Canadian Destroyer... guys really don't care about stepping on other matches with trying to do the biggest spot, do they? I mean besides the fact that in any reality that should end a match. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I can't stand Darby and once I saw Taz with the towel I knew the arm work meant he was throwing in the towel so the ending fell flat. 

Orange Cassidy-Inner Circle was good. FTR-Lucha Bros was ok. Looking forward to Page/FTR vs The Elite. 

Great episode. Damn near every match was solid. I think they could have built up the Revival/Lucha Bros match a bit more but I like both teams and dug the match. Great heel tactics by FTR to get the win.

Cody really needs to turn heel. He's done well as the whole underdog, but the rich douchebag character he was working in ROH and on the indies naturally suited him a lot more. It needs to be something he goes into gradually though.

I was laughing like an idiot during Jericho "the Demo-god"s promo. I don't think there's anyone who can touch him on the mic currently. The Orange Juice Carrie part at the end was tremendous.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I still say "SABU!!!" every time the lights go out

I remember when I meet him in 2003 at MLW after getting a photo with him and he said your welcome after I thanked him for the photo. Me and Cousin looked at each other then at the same time said He can Talk? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Great episode. Damn near every match was solid. I think they could have built up the Revival/Lucha Bros match a bit more but I like both teams and dug the match. Great heel tactics by FTR to get the win.

Cody really needs to turn heel. He's done well as the whole underdog, but the rich douchebag character he was working in ROH and on the indies naturally suited him a lot more. It needs to be something he goes into gradually though.

I was laughing like an idiot during Jericho "the Demo-god"s promo. I don't think there's anyone who can touch him on the mic currently. The Orange Juice Carrie part at the end was tremendous.

It would be such a great under the radar Heel move if he gets a TNT Title Ring with the finished design before the Belt gets finished. 

• Like 1

The now inevitable Cody heel turn will always make me sad. Good match with Sonny though, nice big match entrance for Sonny. Elite/Jurassic had some insane moments, the Marko super Canadian Destroyer might have been crazier than Fenix's last week. Good to see MJ Jenkins on TV again for a couple minutes. Thought Shida's short promo was really good. Jericho ruled on commentary as usual. Huge pop for Ivelisse being brought in next week, always one of my favorites and feels long overdue for another shot somewhere. Ever since Cody/Jericho, I hate the towel finish, it always feels forced and we can always see it coming a mile away. Solid match, crap finish. Like others my first instinct with the lights was Sabu as well, especially with the FTW title around.

Edited by DreamBroken