DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fight For The Fallen II - 7/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Cody vs Sonny should be pretty good. I think Sonny could develop into an outstanding talent with some more experience on this level.

As for Moxley vs Cage, I still think Cage is winning. You can do the story that the announcers or others make excuses for Moxley losing the title because Renee was sick, he had to quarantine himself, he hasn't been as active as he wanted to be, etc. and then Moxley can rail against that and say there's no excuses and challenge for the title again at a later date. It would feel incredibly rushed to move the title onto Cage so quickly though. I just hope they have a good match.

• Like 2

I know that Cody's going to win especially considering they're talking future challengers like Warhorse.  But I'll still be rooting for Sonny anyway.  I absolutely love the guy and I hope that he has a breakout match to take him to the next level.

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Cody vs Sonny should be pretty good. I think Sonny could develop into an outstanding talent with some more experience on this level.

As for Moxley vs Cage, I still think Cage is winning. You can do the story that the announcers or others make excuses for Moxley losing the title because Renee was sick, he had to quarantine himself, he hasn't been as active as he wanted to be, etc. and then Moxley can rail against that and say there's no excuses and challenge for the title again at a later date. It would feel incredibly rushed to move the title onto Cage so quickly though. I just hope they have a good match.

NJPW considerations might also come into play- Mox prob has to drop the US belt at some point as well.  I'd talk to NJPW and ask maybe some exchange/concessions could be made.  Mox drops it to Jay or KENTA on a NJPW-USA show,  maybe AEW gets Narita for a year as Narita's excursion (NJPW-USA can still use Narita for Lion's Break shows too) , something like that?  Treat Narita right, give him lots of ringtime on Dark and some on Dynamite to build up goodwill?  That's what I'd offer if I was Tony Khan.

• Like 1

Mox/Cage is certainly interesting. The build has been okay thanks entirely to Taz in recent weeks but Mox's absence has hurt not just this match but I think the AEW product overall. I'm not sure Cage is the guy to go with as world champ right now but if he's going to be around more it could be worth it. The issue I see is that Brian is a step down notoriety-wise simply by virtue of not having a WWE run. AEW will have to go with a champion that isn't former WWE at some point and Cage obviously looks the part but in this phase of the company when they have to rebuild in the face of the pandemic I think you may want to have more of a marquee name on top. 

• Like 1

On the other hand, if you're going to out the belt on a guy who you aren't sure if he'll draw, doing it when you can't sell tickets anyway might be good timing.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, alstein said:

NJPW considerations might also come into play- Mox prob has to drop the US belt at some point as well.  I'd talk to NJPW and ask maybe some exchange/concessions could be made.  Mox drops it to Jay or KENTA on a NJPW-USA show,  maybe AEW gets Narita for a year as Narita's excursion (NJPW-USA can still use Narita for Lion's Break shows too) , something like that?  Treat Narita right, give him lots of ringtime on Dark and some on Dynamite to build up goodwill?  That's what I'd offer if I was Tony Khan.

You're more likely to see NJPW just strip it again and get it over to LA to tie into the Lion's Break stuff and give the guys that can't go back into Japan something to do.

• Like 1

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

Digging the 'showcase' nature of the TNT belt. I've heard it denigrated as "jobber of the week" but to look at it cup-half-full, it gives different talent a platform to do their thing for a title and are guaranteed a good match pretty much. 

Agreed.  I see it as a test for how midcard talents would do in a big match setting even if they're not at that level yet.  And so far it's worked out well.  Jungle Boy started it with a bang and Cody's other opponents have done their best to step up their game.  So to call it a "Jobber of the week" title seems unfair.

The problem is that the TV title match in the old days was often the only non-squash match on a show that week, even if it was a mid-carder challenging for the belt. Now, every tv show is full of top guys vs each other, diluting the quality of a TV title contest. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Agreed.  I see it as a test for how midcard talents would do in a big match setting even if they're not at that level yet.  And so far it's worked out well.  Jungle Boy started it with a bang and Cody's other opponents have done their best to step up their game.  So to call it a "Jobber of the week" title seems unfair.

Personally I’d prefer it if they’d had somebody like Jungle Boy win the title to start with, and continue the formula they’ve been using. People would be more likely to buy into any of the guys they’ve used upsetting him than they would Cody. It seems pretty obvious whomever finally beats Cody is going to be an established name (Pentagon, Fenix, Kenny, Hangman Page, etc.).

• Like 2

Maybe it's me having rose-colored glasses regarding it but that's not the worst thing in the world.  They didn't want it to be a mid-card belt as that term doesn't work for Cody.  I get the impression it's meant to be more of an upper mid-card title that's a slight step below world.  Plus with it being defended most weeks it makes it more accessible to challenge for than it would be for the world title.  So I can see starting the title with a big name and whoever gets it next will be somebody people will have have to work their way towards.  But I'm certain down the line it will find its way to the likes of Jungle Boy who's pretty much on the cusp of hitting the big-time anyway.  For all I know he may do a rematch where he wins it off of Cody on a PPV.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

I'm just excited to see whether Arn dropping Warhorse' name in Road To means they've actually got him booked or not.

3 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

And on top of all this, there's a decent chance Lucha Bros vs FTR ends up being my favourite match of the pandemic era. This show should be great.

Fuuuuuck. I forgot all about this match. THIS is the one I'm looking forward to the most. Just give them at least 20 minutes, please. I got so jacked watching FTR and Lucha Bros square off last week and getting an actual tag match between them this soon is wonderful.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

Yeah, it’s way more likely that they would just vacate the title.  They’ve already done it once with Moxley.

That's what I think happens too. There's no way Moxley is going to make it to Japan, I don't know if TK will let Moxley defend the title in the US. I know Moxley wants to keep his thing with NJPW going, but it's just not very feasible.

• Like 1

Does FTR/Lucha Broz get time and a clean finish? I think they get time, I have a hard time seeing the Lucha Bros dropping a clean fall though (they've been very protected) and there's no way FTR is losing clean at this point too. INTERESTING. I am there for it though.

• Thanks 1

Here’s my suggestion on how to solve the Moxley as US Champion conundrum: They fly Moxley and Jeff Cobb to Guam and have an Island Deathmatch. I’d be very curious to see New Japans take on the cinematic match. Cobb goes over he’s working with New Japan. If Cena chooses not to become the Ace for New Japan America. Jeff Cobb wouldn’t  be a bad guy to build your U.S. outfit around.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Does FTR/Lucha Broz get time and a clean finish? 

This brings up a good point: not every single match in this federation has to have a clean finish. Seriously. DQs, DDQs, time limit draws, countouts, these have been part and parcel of wrestling for ages. Use them.

• Like 3

They've done time limit draws (Cody/Darby from Fyter Fest 2019), and the Iron Man match last year between PAC/Omega match had a DQ in it. Honestly, if AEW is committed to their rankings, using DQs and count outs is kind of counter productive, since it's a cheap way to move people up in the rankings.

As of right now, neither FTR or the Lucha Bros are in the Top 5. So a win for FTR would put them at 3-0 and closer to being in the rankings. A win is needed here if their plan is for them to eventually be the ones to dethrone Page & Omega (which I would assume is the plan).

50 minutes ago, Casey said:

Your solution to Moxley not working for New Japan in the US is to have Moxley work for New Japan in the US?

I thought a U.S. Territory in Western Pacific could be a loophole I don’t know dude I was only half serious.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Does FTR/Lucha Broz get time and a clean finish? I think they get time, I have a hard time seeing the Lucha Bros dropping a clean fall though (they've been very protected) and there's no way FTR is losing clean at this point too. INTERESTING. I am there for it though.

A time limit draw is a clean finish. And them going 30 minutes wouldn't be boring, would it?

• Like 1