DVDVR Message Board

2022 FIFA كأس العالم (WORLD CUP 2022)

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The final matches of each Group Stage are played at the same time (notice Group A two matches both kicked off at 10 AM EST) to prevent teams doing shady stuff after knowing the result of the first match

The reason why....

That game is known here as "die Schande von Gijon", approx. "the disgrace of Gijon". There was one player on the Austrian side (Walter Schachner) who actively wanted to play. I have seen funny clips of 21 players basically doing nothing besided pass the ball back and forth and 1 player running around like wild and gesticulating to his teammates to pass him the ball.

Though having both games run in parallel still from time to time produces let's call it funny results, like Denmark - Sweden at the Euro 2004 (beforehand it was clear that both teams would advance if the game ends in a tie with both teams scoring at least 2 goals and behold, the game ended 2-2) or France - Denmark at the World Cup 2018 (both teams were sure to advance with a draw and basically nothing happened for 90 minutes). Another famous game in that vein was a Champions League match between Leverkusen and Monaco I think in 1998. Monaco goalkeeper Barthez was so sure that nothing was going to happen in the last 10 minutes that he sat down, leaning his back at the goalpost.

• Like 2

It is going to be interesting and unfortunately upsetting to see the fate of the Iranian players.   Never mind that they lost to the US after members of their media tried to punk out players before the game,  they have made plenty of statements and protest  in support of the women in the country.   Those are two things that I am sure the government isn't going to be happy about.   

• Thanks 1

Obviously very thrilled that we got the win over Iran.  We're playing with house money now - I just want us to play our best game against Holland.

Bad thing, though?  Berhalter will absolutely be kept on as coach now.  This would be A Very Bad Idea, as was the case with Arena...and Bradley...and Klinsmann.  Coaches should only get one WC cycle at most.