DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling - 7/14/20

Go home show for Slammiversary was mostly hype for the PPV with a lot of videos. But the 10 knockout tag was fun, loved Havok's suicide dive. And the Rhino/Hernandez cinematic street fight was great, I wanna see them team up, too bad they're not on Slammiversary with just a six match lineup. Trey/Ace cinematic brawl was long but a different kind of ending. Looking forward to Slammiversary.

Results:

*Kylie Rae, Susie, Nevaeh, Havok, & Alisha Edwards def. Kimber Lee, Kiera Hogan, Tasha Steelz, Rosemary, & Taya Valkyrie (w/ John E Bravo) (13:49) when Susie pinned Kimber with the Panic Switch. After the match, all the knockouts brawled ahead of the Slammiversary gauntlet match.

*The Deaners (Cody Deaner & Cousin Jake) def. XXXL (Acey Romero & Larry D) (3:24) when Jake pinned Larry with a crucifix rollup. After the match, XXXL attacked and laid out the Deaners.

*Tommy Dreamer & Crazzy Steve def. Moose & Rohit Raju (6:13) when Steve pinned Raju after a diving DDT

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Peck said:

Not sure what was better.. Rhino/Hernandez or Peter Griffin/Chicken

Rhino/Hernandez unless they run it to death like the Peter/Chicken skit. But if we’re just going with the original one it’s definitely close. 

So who are you guys thinking returns Saturday night? My guesses are EC3, EY, Anderson and Gallows (yes I know Anderson was never there), Maria, Mike Bennett, and Bully Ray. I’m not sure any of them are a big enough deal to fit the end of show angle though. 

• Like 1

Watched again this week.

10 Women Tag I really liked a lot. Very fun all the women in the gauntlet split up by the heels and faces having a warm up. This brings me back to they way the go home shows use to be like back when I was growing up. Has Alisha Edwards been around lately or did show just show up? I haven’t watched since the Atlanta Tapings and I Elisha wasn’t on tv then and she wasn’t on the show last week. Impact has a very stacked women’s roster a lot of depth, a lot of diversity and versatility. Made for a fun watch. Whose Neavah when did she show up? Tasha Steelz is a nice addition, NWA’s loss is Impacts gain. I did enjoy the storytelling of Susie winning the match using Su Yung’s move. There’s a big brawl between the Heels and the Faces after the match a very TNA move for everyone to brawl on the go home show. 

The Ultimate X Flashback has me sad they are not running an Ultimate X match on Slammiversary, King of the Mountixn more so as that was the PPV’s calling card until Eric Bischoff scoffed at it. Maybe they figured why run the gimmick matches that could draw a crowd based of nostalgia alone when you can’t draw a crowd. If and it’s a big IF you could have a show in front of a crowd this time next year and I was Impact, I’d run the TNA reunion show as Slammiversary next year. Would I run it in the same venue as they were during Mania Weekend? That’s tricky cuz they were banking on the fly in crowd, the venue holds 1500 but would there be enough local interest plus could the show entice enough fly ins to be worthwhile? All interesting questions I think if they could somehow pull it off and book AMW vs MCMG I think I may fly to Tampa but I digress 

The Knockout division is diverse but so is the tag division. The two teams of XXL and The Deaners are examples off this. There’s a Larry D documentary on Prime Video I’m half tempted into checking out. Speaking of the Knickouts isn’t Cody Deaner a former Knockouts champion? Cousin Jakes body slam on Larry D was impressive. Larry D is a big boy. Acey Romero and Cody Deaner is what I Mahoney Chris Farley vs David Spade would have looked like. The size difference was exponential. Deaners got the win, they won last week I think or takeaway got the win for their team I can’t remember but the Deaners seem to be on a roll as of late, maybe they’ll pull the upset on The North? So XXXL attack The Deaners after the match second match Tonight. where the heels attack the faces after winning.

Rohit making a big to do about a Moose asking him to be his partner after every. one else said no then still accepting got a chuckle out of me 

What where those tights Swinger was strutting around in? I also laughed at Swinger calling a bald guy Kojak. I get the reference but that’s the only characteristic that ref had in common with Telly Salvalas or Ving Rhames for that matter. Swingers trying to be ringside for the X Division match. This is followed by a video package for the match. Nice for me I can get caught up with the feud. Chris Bey got this match by pinning Willie Mack in a tag match and Swinger was been an assistance to Beys winning streak. This was all great I loved it ending with the Sitcom ending of Swinger overhearing Bey Talking bad about him and then Swinger letting him know without out right letting him know he heard him was a nice touch.

@DreamBroken wasn’t lying about there being a bunch of video packages. Impact going back to its TNA days has always delivered in the video package department they were all captivating and kept my attention but it was full PPV sell mode on this broadcast.

I’ll forgive the low rent feel of the Knockouts contract signing because of the pandemic but also because Purrazzo and Grace both didn’t let it phase them and it was an awesome segment. After Purrazzo’s promo and Grace slamming her face into the table I wonder if a Flair-Sting angle between the two with Purrazzo playing the cocky heel champion constantly belittling but also sucking at every corner the deserving hardworking baby face challenger in Grace would be the way to go. 

Moose as TNA Champion I really like the idea of the Uncrown Champion. This could lead to a unification match at Bound For Glory I think Moose is overdue for a World Title run. I didn’t watch TNA when Crazy Steve was around. Rohit Raju is just kind of there for me. Tommy Dreamer will also be my favorite wrestler, I appreciated the Man In Box sound alike as Tommy’s theme. Tommy’s loosing his hair bad like it’s Ric Flair level in the back. Moose and Tommy waste no time warning up on each other. I think that match for the TNA Title is gonna be pretty good I suspect EC3 shows up at the PPV during this match in some capacity. Something born out of necessity with Tessa the then Champion absent from TV, Moose awarded himself the TNA Title challenging TNA Originals to  title matches has became one of the more interesting things on the show. I know I suggested the Title Unification but what if the TNA title becomes the unofficial mans secondary title. I’m predicting some sort of 3 way feud between Moose-Tommy and EC3 over the TNA title during the fall/ I hope Spud shows up with EC3 as his lackey maybe Spud gets a fluke win and becomes TNA Champion.

Moose’s distraction while asking Hernandez to be his tag partner allowing Rhino to chest to win  the week long arm wrestling match has led us to this parking lot brawl and for that I thanked him. I loved that dramatic music. This feels like a late night cable action movie in the best way possible. Rhino kind of looks like a suburban Steven Seagal with his hair in that ponytail and wearing gym short shorts with New Balances. They are choking each other bandanas, hitting each other with trash cans all over an arm wrestling match. I love it! Then after call that they decided to split the money anyway.

They got something in Ace Austin he’s only been around for a year and he’s already in the main event for World Title on the 2nd biggest Show of the year.

I liked the Eddie Edwards video package he’s done it all in TNA/Impact he’d be a deserving winner come Saturday. Good use of the the footage they have. I said it last week but Anthem does not shy away from acknowledging the company existed before their purchase of it until Sinclair with ROH.

Gotta give Impact credit they built towards the cinematic showdown between Trey Miguel and Ace Austin at a wrestling school in Dayton, Ohio the whole night. We got two Cinematic Matches in one night. Impact is really good at these and I really liked this one. Trey and Ace have a history in the x division. Ace wouldn’t stop hitting on Treys mom Ave know they are facing off for the world title and tensions are boiling over and this fight is more than a little personal. Also what a cool way to build to the main event on Saturday.  

• Like 3

Loved the opening tag, Alisha just basically pops up once in awhile to throw stiff strikes and job. It's probably the best use for her. 

Also Naveah is probably to most mid-western looking woman ever. I've swear I've seen a thousands of women that look like her at Brewers games over the years ripping shots and beers in the parking lot at Miller Park.

The other tag matches were whatever. The cinematic matches made me think of the OvE vs. LaX in Mexico stuff, those were really well done and should probably be brought up more but you know there's like 5 people that post in these Impact threads.

Swinger kills it again backstage. Does anyone know who Chris Bey was talking to in that segment? Feel free to tell me to calm down Hollywood Ramo-netico.

Edited by Ramo2653
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

Rhino/Hernandez unless they run it to death like the Peter/Chicken skit. But if we’re just going with the original one it’s definitely close. 

So who are you guys thinking returns Saturday night? My guesses are EC3, EY, Anderson and Gallows (yes I know Anderson was never there), Maria, Mike Bennett, and Bully Ray. I’m not sure any of them are a big enough deal to fit the end of show angle though. 

Agree with those guesses with maybe adding Mr./Ken Anderson as well since he and D'Lo were originally going to represent Aces & Eights at the TNA Reunion show. Hoping most for the Miracle. Unrealistically, would mark for Angle or Sting since they are shown in the videos.

47 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

10 Women Tag I really liked a lot. Very fun all the women in the gauntlet split up by the heels and faces having a warm up. This brings me back to they way the go home shows use to be like back when I was growing up. Has Alisha Edwards been around lately or did show just show up? I haven’t watched since the Atlanta Tapings and I Elisha wasn’t on tv then and she wasn’t on the show last week. Impact has a very stacked women’s roster a lot of depth, a lot of diversity and versatility. Made for a fun watch. Whose Neavah when did she show up? 

I know I suggested the Title Unification but what if the TNA title becomes the unofficial mans secondary title. I’m predicting some sort of 3 way feud between Moose-Tommy and EC3 over the TNA title during the fall/ I hope Spud shows up with EC3 as his lackey maybe Spud gets a fluke win and becomes TNA Champion.

Nevaeh's been on the indys for the past 15 years, one half of the first SHIMMER tag champ with Madison Rayne and has been tagging with Havok for the past 2 years as the Killer Death Machines. She showed up here in May, one of my longtime favorites. She's also married to Jake Crist.  Alisha popped back up a couple weeks ago as Deonna's debut opponent, but hadn't wrestled on Impact since last year before that. Spud went back to WWE.

15 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

The other tag matches were whatever. The cinematic matches made me think of the OvE vs. LaX in Mexico stuff, those were really well done and should probably be brought up more but you know there's like 5 people that post in these Impact threads.

Swinger kills it again backstage. Does anyone know who Chris Bey was talking to in that segment? Feel free to tell me to calm down Hollywood Ramo-netico.

Bey was talking to the backstage interviewer Gia Miller. I also thought of the LAX/OGz cinematic fight, they used the same background music at the end of the Trey/Ace fight here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This weeks Impact in 60 was on Scott Steiner. I decided to watch it. I haven’t watched any of these so far. I’ve seen bits and pieces on the twitch feed I think these are old shows being run on AXS after Impact . That’s not important. What is important is I’m a Big Poppa Pump fan so I decided to watch, I also decided to write about, and cuz I wrote a lot of nonsense about this weeks Impact so I made a third decision and this is a separate post.

vs. Petey Williams, Against All Odds 2/10/08: Don’t know I’ve seen this match before or not. This is the beginning of the partnership, Petey was calling himself Maple Leaf Muscle Steiner felt there was room for only one muscle guy and he was it so here we are. We’re outside the Impact Zone, South Carolina to be exact and they are hot for Steiner. Match itself was really good. Peter got a lot of offense on Scott, I thought they played the match perfectly Scott hits a bunch of suplexes, Petey gets an opportunity to change the rides he does that leads to him hitting all types of high impact moves on Scott and going for the pin, then a debuting Rhaka Khsn distracts Petey, Steiner hits a Powerbomb for the win. This leads to Scott and Petey becoming friends. This was Don Wests description of Rhaka Khan “she’s one of those people you can’t figure out what on earth she is”.

vs. Petey Williams, Against All Odd 2/8/09: What a difference a year makes, Steiners in the Main Event Muscle and Petey is in The TNA Frontline. The friendship is over. I have not watched this match, I wasn’t watching TNA at this point. Petey is also full Scott at this point with the bleached hair and the goatee and the chain link hat he wears to the ring. Crowd isn’t as hot for Steiner as they were a year ago. Steiner yells obscenities at fans. Structurally there isn’t much that different between the matches. Crowds more behind Petey in this one. Petey hit a diving head butt that was different. In both matches Petey tries but can never execute The Canadian Destroyer,  if I could do anything different I think Petey hits the CD and gets the win. That would be my only criticism Petey lost both matches, beating Steiner could have given him a rub but that is the flaw of TNA the over reliance on “names”. This match wasn’t bad either plus we got a Steiner promo afterwards with him proclaiming to the crowd “shut up white trash” plus Samoa Joe with penis face tat so there’s that.

vs Bobby Lashley, Turning Point 11/15/09: I’ve seen this match before. Steiners been making advances towards Lashley’s wife which Lashley does not appreciate. This match is more of a fight than a wrestling match and the falls count anywhere stop compliments that. Steiner hit a Frankensteiner on Lashley, you don’t see that everyday. I’ll also give it to these guys cuz they make full use of the falls count anywhere stip they go all over the Impact Zone. There’s blood too, this is fun. I like the violence of it, Lashley belly to belly Steiner threw a table and hit him with a 2x4, Steiner choked Lashley with an extension cord. This definitely feels like two guys fighting over a women. Steiner wins after ripping a piece of scaffolding of its structure and hits Lashley in the head with it. That was pretty fun.

• Like 2

Alisha Edwards popped up backstage pre-pandemic.  She wanted on Grace's Lethal Lockdown team and Grace said of course cause Alisha was a freak and then Alisha sang.  It was...something.

I do not want the return of the Aces or Eights.  I want Gallows and Anderson to brother it up with the Swingman, daddy!  They can back the Pack, jack!

I hope the mystery man is Road Warrior Animal.  EC3 is probably most likely though.  I don't think there's been any tease but Chris Hero could be good.  I hope Eddie Edwards turns heel though.  They screwed him over by making him do a best of 5 series when he already won the trophy.  Then they showed him getting booed and cheated in Qatar.  Now he has to compete in a 4-way with a mystery man.