DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 14: Kattar vs. Ige (7/15/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

Very fun scrap between Elliott and Ryan Benoit. I am not sure if Benoit will be a dark horse or potential ray of needed sunshine for flyweight, but this is best I've ever seen him despite it being a losing effort.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

I remember when the Sokoudjou vs. Ricardo Arona hopping takedown defense thing was super novel. Now Kattar doing against Ige makes it like the fourth time I've seen it since then. These dudes are just on a whole different level nowadays.

• Like 1

And oh yeah, Calvin Kattar is definitely a legit contender at featherweight. He had some spurts of inactivity here and there, but overall, a damn good performance. Hard and sharp counters and a lot of pressure.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, Khamzat Chimaev may be a big, big problem at middleweight. 

Catching up just now. He even did the Khabib leg trap on the ground and the handcuff. That was so decisive. Real power shots from that position too as he busted Phillips up real bad real quick. Super accurate. Flawless victory. Get that guy back in there ASAP. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And oh yeah, Calvin Kattar is definitely a legit contender at featherweight. He had some spurts of inactivity here and there, but overall, a damn good performance. Hard and sharp counters and a lot of pressure.

Bisping brought it up in the third, Kattar is guilty of following opponents around the cage when a guy like him, with his punching technique, power, and reach, he really should be cutting off the cage. He did the same thing against Zabit iirc and that was probably the deciding factor in that fight and not having enough time to take advantage against a gassed Zabit. If he figures that out, it could unlock his potential. 

Ige is so tough and has maximized his abilities. Really smart fighter and good technique with amazing heart and toughness.

I'd really like to see Kattar vs. Yair Rodriguez. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

FYI, this card drew 536K viewers, 0.22 18-49 rating for the main card. 0.17 rating and 434K viewers for prelims.

Not sure if that's good bad for ESPN. I'd say it's OK considering all the live competition on Wed. night, plus this card didn't really have a lot of ratings drawing power, and it lost Edgar/Munhoz. 

29 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

FYI, this card drew 536K viewers, 0.22 18-49 rating for the main card. 0.17 rating and 434K viewers for prelims.

Not sure if that's good bad for ESPN. I'd say it's OK considering all the live competition on Wed. night, plus this card didn't really have a lot of ratings drawing power, and it lost Edgar/Munhoz. 

I think a lot of people got their UFC fill this past weekend and need a little break. Plus, I think NASCAR which did an average of just over 2 million hurt UFC more than the wrestling on Wednesday. Moreover, this was a hardcore fight fan type card with two guys who have never main evented a card until now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think a lot of people got their UFC fill this past weekend and need a little break. Plus, I think NASCAR which did an average of just over 2 million hurt UFC more than the wrestling on Wednesday. Moreover, this was a hardcore fight fan type card with two guys who have never main evented a card until now.

I doubt they had huge numbers expectations for this, especially with everything mentioned plus UFC 251 if it indeed did draw a legit 1.3 million PPV buys.

• jaedmc unpinned this topic