DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 14: Kattar vs. Ige (7/15/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

Ec0wYy5UYAUnmgI.jpeg?1594735035

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 14: Kattar vs. Ige 
July 15, 2020
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Calvin Kattar (146) vs. Dan Ige (145) - Kattar, DEC (unanimous)
Tim Elliott (125) vs. Ryan Benoit (126) - Elliott, DEC (unanimous)
Jimmie Rivera (145) vs. Cody Stamann (145) - Rivera, DEC (unanimous)
Molly McCann (125) vs. Taila Santos (125) - Santos, DEC (unanimous)
Abdul Razak Alhassan (174)** vs. Mounir Lazzez (171) - Lazzez, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
John Phillips (186) vs. Khamzat Chimaev (186) - Chimaev, SUB (d'arce choke), R2 (1:12)  
Ricardo Ramos (145) vs. Lerone Murphy (146) - Murphy, TKO (punches), R1 (4:18)
Modestas Bukauskas (205) vs. Andreas Michailidis (206) - Bukauskas, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (5:00)
Chris Fishgold (149)* vs. Jared Gordon (145) - Gordon, DEC (unanimous)
Diana Belbiţă (125) vs. Liana Jojua (126) - Jojua, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:43)
Jack Shore (136) vs. Aaron Phillips (135) - Shore, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:29)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight and ineligible to win portion of post fight bonus

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Modestas Bukauskas
Performance of the Night: Lerone Murphy
Performance of the Night: Khamzat Chimaev
Fight of the Night: Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Mounir Lazzez

Rating: 536,000 viewers

• jaedmc pinned this topic

I know Ige is playing up the underdog role here but he really is the underdog in this fight. I don't think he beat Edson and I have a hard time seeing him beat Kattar. Calvin isn't Barboza and won't buckle when pressured, Kattar enjoys staying in the pocket. He's got more power than Ige. He's got a good chin. There are 3 maybe 4 featherweights on the planet I'd put ahead of him. 

Top three fights all look great on paper. Alhassan has shown a lot of potential so far. Anybody else exciting from the rest of the card? 

28 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I know Ige is playing up the underdog role here but he really is the underdog in this fight. I don't think he beat Edson and I have a hard time seeing him beat Kattar. Calvin isn't Barboza and won't buckle when pressured, Kattar enjoys staying in the pocket. He's got more power than Ige. He's got a good chin. There are 3 maybe 4 featherweights on the planet I'd put ahead of him. 

Top three fights all look great on paper. Alhassan has shown a lot of potential so far. Anybody else exciting from the rest of the card? 

Loco may be able to give more info but the only other guys on the card that I am really familiar with are the two fights before the main and Jared Gordon.  Sometimes these are the cards that end up being sleepers, though, as you have a bunch of guys with a lot to prove.

• Like 2

I would say I'm surprised to see Molly McCann get a softball matchup (McCann's 3-1 in UFC w/ three straight wins vs. someone who's 0-1 in UFC and another slightly average Brazilian female regional fighter), but I think they like her because she has some charisma about her. The problem is I'm not sure she can even sniff legit contendership. She's decent and incredibly scrappy, but that didn't exactly help Eye against Valentina. She has the potential to be somewhat good. However, this is some old school matchmaking because she's clearly better than this level of opposition.

The rest of the card outside the portions Oyaji mentioned are more standard fare Fight Night stuff. Khamzat Chimaev is favored pretty heavily for someone making their UFC debut. He might be one to watch. At first, I thought Andreas Michailidis was the random Greek fighter on the EA MMA game from a decade ago that no one bought. Turns out that was Andreas Kraniotakes. Anyway, I don't think he beats Bukauskas who was Cage Warriors Light Heavyweight champion really recently. So I guess we could have a 205 prospect on our hands. Speaking of Cage Warriors, Jack Shore is finally making his long awaited UFC debut. That's one to watch. Again ex-Cage Warriors guy Chris Fishgold vs. Jared Gordon is a decent little matchup with now the added detail of Felder pulling double duty as commentator and cornerman. It's a good little mid week MMA card.

• Like 1

Diana Belbita with perhaps the loudest verbal submission in the history of verbal submissions. Well, that's one way to let the ref know you want out.

Anyway, Liana Jojua's win will only increase this weird, inexplicable desire that people from the country of Georgia have to get a UFC event.

• Like 1

Lazzez has some very impressive striking.  I expected Alhassan to be able to get him out of there when he immediately backed him up against the fence when the fight started.  Lazzez has pretty much won every second of the fight after that opening salvo.  One of the things I look at when watching these prospect fights is durability.  Both of these dudes took some huge shots, and neither of them seemed too hurt nor did they lose their composure.  If you don't have anything else, and these two have a lot going for them, being durable will keep you in fights.  I can't wait to see more of both of them.

I'm not sure how I feel about John Annick constantly shouting out the UAE government.  It seems weird.

• Like 2

Just now, supremebve said:

Lazzez has some very impressive striking.  I expected Alhassan to be able to get him out of there when he immediately backed him up against the fence when the fight started.  Lazzez has pretty much won every second of the fight after that opening salvo.  One of the things I look at when watching these prospect fights is durability.  Both of these dudes took some huge shots, and neither of them seemed too hurt nor did they lose their composure.  If you don't have anything else, and these two have a lot going for them, being durable will keep you in fights.  I can't wait to see more of both of them.

I'm not sure how I feel about John Annick constantly shouting out the UAE government.  It seems weird.

Hey, you gotta work it in. Like Mike Goldberg doing reads for Shooter or whatever mediocre films Mark Wahlberg was making at the time back in the day.

Goldberg was fucking atrocious.  Every time I watch an old show, I can't believe how bad he is, and he held that job forever.  In the moment, I never realized how bad he was, but it's almost jarring in retrospect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Santos is much more well rounded than what I expected from her, she dominated in every aspect of this fight.  That was a very impressive performance coming off of a debut loss.  Fucking work, I'll watch the rest of this tomorrow.

Just now, supremebve said:

Santos is much more well rounded than what I expected from her, she dominated in every aspect of this fight.  That was a very impressive performance coming off of a debut loss.  Fucking work, I'll watch the rest of this tomorrow.

This wasn't the Molly McCann from her UFC debut where she looked shellshocked, but this definitely wasn't the Taila Santos from her UFC debut. She absolutely ran game on Molly McCann. McCann is use to outworking people on pure grit. Didn't happen tonight.

I just figured out Rivera and Cody Stamann were fighting at featherweight and not bantamweight. I say that cause Rivera looked every bit like a good sized lightweight in the cage. Stamann wasn't that small for the division either. I wonder if this is a permanent move for both.