DVDVR Message Board

Raw is the Return of the Queen - 7/13/2020

Dolfan in NYC

That would be fantastic.

And the camera cuts tonight were way more than normal throughout the entire show. So many that it constantly made it seem like they were covering botches. It was very distracting.

I enjoyed all of the tag matches. It was especially nice to see Bianca back on tv.

Shayna choking out ninjas with Tozawa just going "I'm out" after seeing that was wonderful. Hopefully the promo afterwards is signs of Shayna/Asuka happening soon.

I watched the last 65 minutes of the show from Truth coming out and rapping onward. Why is Ric Flair on TV? Does Randy need a second? Are they building towards Randy vs Ric in Saudi Arabia?

So Randy Orton kicked R Truth in the head to set up Randy vs Big Show next week. Did The Big Show Show get renewed or something?

An observation from R-Truth’s entrance theirs a couple performance center recruits who are lacking in the rhythm department.

Lashley vs Ricochet was fun while it lasted. Really set up the Full Nelson as a show stopper he puts that in and it’s game over man. BTW the new United States Championship design is garbage hot garbage. Nothing was wrong with the old strap. It’s like when Nitro changed the set to something that looked stupid and was new just to be new.

Why is the PPV called The Horror Show at Extreme Rules? That’s a lot of words to say in a sentence. It doesn’t flow.

Was it me or did it sound like they piped in crowd noise. I know they got people in the crowd but it sounded louder than 2 dozen people. I noticed it during Baylay and Sashas entrance, the jeering seemed a little too loud for that amount of people. 

Sasha Banks and Baylay are two huge bright spots in the WWE for me. I loved that video package. Baylay as an obnoxiously self involved heel is the best thing she could have done. Sasha Banks she’s just as great they make an insufferable twosome in the best way possible.

The Main Event was cool, I like Sasha wrestling in the bandana it worked. I liked the wrestling but I don’t know how I feel about the piped in crowd noise it’s not natural way too much noise for the 24 people they have around the ring. 

If I watch the end of RAW, I'm the prime audience for someone checked out doing other stuff and leaving whatever comes on after on in the background (I've seen way more Chrisley Knows Best episodes due to this than I care to admit). With that said, there was just a fun, simple dumbness to Cannonball last night. Miz works in the role, but his cohost seemed a bit out of place.

• Like 1

Only watched the last hour, first time I watched any raw in like a month. That main event was real good, and pretty much everything was fun.

60 minute shows are the best wrestling shows

• Like 2

A new bottom, yet again, viewership wise. I feel bad for Drew, who has had good segments with what he's given and is a really likable guy, and for acts like Sasha and Bayley that are busting their ass 3x a week, but this show is in a permanent state of overproduced purgatory.

Not sure how you can shake it up with where we are right now. And I don't even know if they care given the other revenue streams they have. 

@For Great Justice has  a great point. I don't know how you can shake up where we are right now. Because the show itself was not bad. If you took this exact show and had it in front of a real audience I think it would be better received. A large part of the problem is that these empty arena shows just feel weird no matter what they do. Sasha and Bayley are working their asses off. Drew is coming off like a god damn BOSS and is making the most of what he's been given. Bobby Lashley needs to be giving MVP half his check, cause Montel is dragging him kicking and screaming towards finally being interesting.

You can't really tell what's working and what's not since there isn't a real crowd. Plus you have the senile old nutjob with the attention span of a fruit fly changing things at will. And this senile old fool relies on a guy pushing 60 who has lived through multiple heart attacks. I don't know who this person is or where they are but WWE badly needs a fresh mindset and new ideas in creative. There is 100% a place for Bruce but I don't think head of everything is it. Say what you will about the AEW boys but they are at least younger and more open to fresh ideas. No, they aren't always good ones but they are DIFFERENT. We need different.

• Like 2

One of the few shakeup cards they have is to send Undisputed Era to RAW and have Cole pick up where he left off with McIntyre when the latter was still in NXT. But even that comes with the caveat of Cole being small and physically unimpressive. Vince may take a better look at him and not want to bother.

And that speaks to one of the larger problems: HHH does fine with promoting most of his NXT talent. But that talent eventually makes their way to RAW or SD with Vince. And a lot of those men/women aren't to Vince's liking. Which HHH should know, having been around Vince for over 25 years.

So much of entertainment is compartmentalized now. Outside of certain movies, most everything we watch fits into its own category. Wrestling is niche on a good day. Factor in the no-crowd pandemic era with their biggest stars not on TV for the foreseeable future, and this is what we get from WWE. They need to revamp their overall creative process, to be sure. But I don't think even that would help much in the moment.

• Like 2

I would be all for Cole coming in to continue his feud with Drew.  The rest of UE is in a weird state as while it'd be cool to bring the rest in with O'Reilly out due to all this now is not the time for all four to be called up.  So either you get a replacement for Cole, let UE be just three people (well 2 in-ring at the moment) or just disband them.  No path is ideal but that's pretty much where we are.  As for NXT callups not panning out I know that HHH went to bat for somebody and asked Vince to treat them right.  Forgot who it was but I think they went about 6 months before it went off the rails.

As for Raw itself it's stale at worst but I didn't mind it.  It at least had more substance to it than Smackdown did and I really love Drew and MVP's time on the show.  I still smile seeing MVP on TV as he at first was going to have a couple more matches so his son could see it then retire.  Now instead of working backstage he's got that manger/wrestler thing going on and he's been really fun to watch.