DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I guess it could be mentioned in the wrestling thread, but John Cena and NICOLE BYER are gonna be hosting new episodes of Wipeout?! My lord, I hope it's John trying to seriously call the action while Nicole laughs hysterically and constantly hits on him. 

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I guess it could be mentioned in the wrestling thread, but John Cena and NICOLE BYER are gonna be hosting new episodes of Wipeout?! My lord, I hope it's John trying to seriously call the action while Nicole laughs hysterically and constantly hits on him. 

Insert Southpaw gif here 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Looks like Nicole's New Year's wish may come true then

• Haha 5

Finally finished The Affair. Season 5 of that was trash like the final season of Justice League Unlimited: there was just so little reason for it to exist in the first place. 

That said, if you did a Top 20 TV characters of the last 20 years, Alison Bailey would deserve a spot. Whitney was probably my favorite, though, as she was such a perfect rattlesnake throughout the whole show, but she still Teddy Junior'd her way from Biggest Asshole to Functioning Adult by the end. 

Speaking of big assholes, I started watching Ray Donovan, but I don't know if I have the stomach for multiple seasons of Noted Stupid Asshole Jon Voight. Even if he weren't personally odious, he's sucked in everything for at least 20 years. Rest of the show is pretty good, though. Schreiber and Eddie Marsan will probably keep me watching until this free trial expires. 

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Finally finished The Affair. Season 5 of that was trash like the final season of Justice League Unlimited: there was just so little reason for it to exist in the first place.

confused.gif

Edited by Brian Fowler

The season with the Brainiac/Luthor plot arc, which summed up things going back to at least Superman:TAS, was as good of an ending as that show could have hoped for.  It was a better ending than most shows ever dream of having.  And then they did another season.  Aside from "The Great Brain Robbery", every episode of it was garbage.  Maybe you're thinking it ended with the prior season?

Also - regarding the new Wipeout - it got some unwanted pub a few months ago as a contestant died during film

If I remember correctly as gentleman had a heart attack shortly after completing one of the obstacles

BBC America is running a Doctor Who marathon this week.  I'm never been much of a fan, but I have seen most eps of nu-Who.  Kinda interesting to look back on the show and see what still works for me and what doesn't.  I'm either softening my opinion of the show, or I find it a lot more tolerable in small doses.

The good is David Tennant, Rory, Amy, and Clara, and Peter Capaldi.  Tennant was probably the ideal casting choice for Doctor Who.  Good actor, lot of charisma, good look for the character.  His Doctor hit all the right notes and he made it seem natural.  

The bad for me is... the writing - especially after season 6, dull companions, and Matt Smith.  Lol, I think i thought Matt Smith was ok at the time, but his portrayal isn't aging well for me.  I feel like he's laboring hard to pull off the things that Tennant made look easy and, honestly, his Doctor comes off too much like Tennant cosplay for my liking.  I like the first half of his run because of the companions and the Doctor-Amy relationship, but I would have preferred to see Gillan and Darvill playing off Capaldi or Tennant.  

Memorable companions make the show a lot more palatable to me.  One of my issues with the current cast is that I don't care a whit about the companions.  There are things I don't like about Clara's character (the Doctor/boyfriend thing), but Capaldi and Coleman worked well together and Coleman seems naturally likable.  

I found Catherine Tate's character sorta grating, but I was thrilled they didn't cast an attractive young woman and Tate and Tennant apparently knew each other prior to being cast and apparently had a blast working together, so that gets a pass.

Mostly, watching a bit of the old series' makes me think I might have underrated the Moffat era.  The show seems to have regressed under the new showrunner.  Hate to say that.  I really wanted to like Whittaker's run.

Whittaker's run is suffering from Chibnal staying away from classic villains for an entire season, then trying to out-Moffat Moffat last season with Timeless Children.

Edited by Raziel

On 12/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, Contentious C said:

The season with the Brainiac/Luthor plot arc, which summed up things going back to at least Superman:TAS, was as good of an ending as that show could have hoped for.  It was a better ending than most shows ever dream of having.  And then they did another season.  Aside from "The Great Brain Robbery", every episode of it was garbage.  Maybe you're thinking it ended with the prior season?

No. They did the fucking Legion of Doom for the last season. There's the awesome Hawkman flashback episode.  The Flash Museum gets an episode. Deadman got a spotlight episode. The amazing world of cardboard speech, after the amazing Darkseid return. They even did a Seven Soldiers of Victory episode.

That last season is amazing. 

Edit: and The Legion of Superheroes!

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic