DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Finally watched Picard last week.  It was ok, but I was really distracted by how frail Patrick Stewart looked and sounded.  For whatever reason, I still picture Stewart as looking about how he did in the 90's, even though I knew he's gotta be at least in his 70's (Wiki says he's 80).

Honestly, since I'm not a Trek fan, I mostly identify Stewart with his American Dad role and expect him to look like a fleshy version of Avery Bullock.

crispyafterdark.tumblr.com - Tumbex

The show itself was average.  I wouldn't put it on par with any season of Voyager, fwiw.

Watching Keeping Faith this week.  Wife and I like it a lot.  Almost through the first season and it's probably best show I've watched in a while, even though it the plot is very well-worn (woman's husband goes to work, doesn't come home, she gets blindsided by all his secrets).  Didn't realize the lead was Eve Myles till I googled it during the third episode.  I wasn't paying close attention to the credits, obviously.

• Haha 1

Oh yeah, Night Court was one of my favorite tv shows as a kid and I still like it whenever I catch an episode of it. I'm glad it's coming back, but bummed it's without Harry Anderson. At least Harry and others got to be part of the Night Court thing they did on 30 Rock.

• Like 2

The reviews have been middling.  Apparently it starts with everybody in Colorado already and uses a LOST-style flashback framework to fill in the fall of society and how everybody got there.  Which doesn’t sound great to me.

It’s definitley unfortunate that we’re finally in an era of entertainment that seems perfectly suited to doing King’s epics properly, but they just keep screwing it up.

I mean, most reviews are saying it’s a competently made show, so it’s not DARK TOWER bad, but it’s probably the least interesting way you could’ve approached this story.

1. After binging halfway through S4, we're a little sick of the Expanse. I'm trying to make it through Book 5 too and while I was averaging 100 pages a day in the margins of my workday the last few weeks, I haven't had any traction this week. Reading the books make it both easier and harder to watch the show. You better get what they're going for and the moving parts, but everything is so monumentally dumbed down and consolidated. I'd honestly suggest either reading the books or watching the show and not doing both. The books would help you get through season 1 and with the time/book jumps midway through season 2 and season 3 but otherwise, it's just an exercise in frustration.

2. But that means I finally got the wife to go with me on Cobra Kai. We're through episode 8 of season 1. It's nice to have a show that's not an hour long. I have some doubts about Zabka's acting skills at times, but otherwise, the show is about as good as it could possibly be, really walking that line of satirical and heartfelt. The satire pokes at the genre and the atmosphere of the 80s, and never really at the characters themselves, which means you end up with these fairly well fleshed out characters in this slightly askew and ridiculous world and it's sort of the opposite of a lot of things that take a lowest common denominator approach to everything and just go for cheap laughs.

Since the Expanse is ending 3 seasons early (because I assume each season was going to cover each book), I will wind up reading the books to get the full story. I initially didn't plan on reading them if each season stayed as good as they have been, but now I think I will.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Since the Expanse is ending 3 seasons early (because I assume each season was going to cover each book), I will wind up reading the books to get the full story. I initially didn't plan on reading them if each season stayed as good as they have been, but now I think I will.

I think show then book will be a better progression for you than book then show was for me. You get a lot of the big set pieces, but how you get there and what it all means (including character motivations) really deviates. The only big hitch i see, from where I am, is if you're a big fan of Ashford.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I think show then book will be a better progression for you than book then show was for me. You get a lot of the big set pieces, but how you get there and what it all means (including character motivations) really deviates. The only big hitch i see, from where I am, is if you're a big fan of Ashford.

I wasn't a really big fan, but that's partly because David Strathairn was doing a very silly accent. He did some cool shit though.

So it turns out that due to legal rights - Clarice can't have Hannibal Lector in it. If fact they can't even mention his name.

Apparently a large portion of the show will focus on Buffalo Bill and Catherine Martin (the Senator's daughter that Buffalo Bill had kidnapped)

• Haha 1

His Dark Materials is so fucking good! We just finished up episode 5 from season 2 and I think that was the best episode yet. Pan going all wolverine and getting his revenge on Coulter's daemon was cathartic and awesome. Everything with the Marlow was great.

I'm definitely going to read the books since we bought them for my daughter for Christmas. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, Matt D said:

Wasn't there an Expanse thread on here at some point? I looked and can't find it. Today's new episode was an absolute belter.