DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 11/20/2020 at 9:07 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

The new Animaniacs dropped on Hulu! We're watching it now with my nephew and his pal and it's great. 
Oh, and expect the FOX News crowd complaining about it in three...two...

I’ve only watched the first few episodes. Outside of Pinky & The Brain, have there been any other shorts featuring the other supporting players(Goodfeathers, Chicken Boo, etc...)?

14 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’ve only watched the first few episodes. Outside of Pinky & The Brain, have there been any other shorts featuring the other supporting players(Goodfeathers, Chicken Boo, etc...)?

I've only watched a couple, but I was told no. It's just the Warners and Pinky and the Brain. Which I love both of those, but I'm disappointed there's no Buttons or Slappy or....

That’s very disappointing. I knew something was up when I watched the intro, and it was just the Warner’s for the most part. I mean like you I enjoy those characters, but taking a break from the main act was always a breath of fresh air.

Actually if they really wanted to they should put Freakazoid, and some of his supporting players in the new Animaniacs cast if they have no plans to make a full series for him. This way they could bring a character back, and aren’t hampered by the fact that it’s dated since superheroes are en vogue.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I have watched a bit of the new Animaniacs series and the Pinky & the Brain (the standalone series might be my favorite animated TV series of all time) stuff so far feels like "been there, done that". For the Warners stuff: I have no idea what that suffragette song was about. Trying to provoke people about a 100-year-old-topic? Was it about the lack of right to vote for (legal) alien? Just a random time filler?

8 hours ago, colonial said:

Jeopardy says the show will go on, resuming taping on Monday with Ken Jennings the first in a series of "guest hosts."

Which makes me think of whenever they need a new co-host on "Live With X and Y" and they do months of guest hosts as both a ratings stunt and some of them are really auditions.

Guest host has always been the M.O. for handling a new host of a long running game show. Though I don’t believe Price Is Right did this. Which was a mistake in my mind. 

Note: While it is still on the air, I still have not watched a full episode from the Drew Carey years. Carey’s blandness has turned me off from watching the program.

After years of hearing good things, I finally took advantage of my local used movie store's Black Friday sale and got the complete Homicide: Life on the Streets series. I know it's based on a book by David Simon. I have The Wire to watch next and then plan on finishing up The Deuce.

Ten minutes into the first episode and Munch has me laughing hard with his Montell Williams rant.

I checked in on The Simpsons last night and it was pretty good, Skinner and Superintendent Chalmers go on a road trip! The entire episode is centered on them and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much, have they been doing that with the secondary characters recently?

Spoiler

The road trip was too Cincinnati and they did a take on the end credits of WKRP which I marked out for big time.

• Like 1

Anyone want to recommend some shows streaming on Acorn TV?  It's been free on Comcast for the past week or so and I'm thinking about subscribing.  But, I don't delve into import tv all that much so I'm unfamiliar with about 90% of the show titles listed and I've actually watched six or eight shows out of approx. 350.

I have googled a few things, but, yeah, it's a little hard to gauge how much I'd be interested in.

Watched Acceptable Risk over the weekend.  Reviews of it weren't great, so I had low expectations, but I was very interested in it.  Plot frequently seemed on the verge of spinning out of control with tropes, coincidences, and leaps in logic (plus one literal leap), but the performances were good and the characters were generally interesting,

On 11/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hell yes... Can’t stand Drew Carey’s version.

Watched a couple of shows so far, and it really took me back. It's funny to see how raw these were/are- little to zero editing, cameras out of position, missed cues, oblivious contestants, the credit reel being an actual reel.  It all really adds to the messy charm.

Bob Barker really was the best... warm, funny, laid-back and bombastic at just the right moments, trying to keep things moving along at a good pace and humorously complaining when things go awry. He's the Lance Russell of game show hosts, with all that entails.