DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

NSFW Rik Mayall:

Reveal hidden contents

EmxUxPbXEAA2KBg?format=jpg&name=small

Em01sS-WMAIqYxv?format=jpg&name=small

Rik Mayall was the F'n best! The Young Ones and Bottom 4 eternity! ...and it seems like the New Statesman is something I need to be seeing stat, as well!

Edited by Shartnado
Never seen the New Statesman, actually!
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 1:11 PM, The Natural said:

Most powerful moment from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Still right in the feelings.

Not even just of The Fresh Prince. I'd argue that this is one of the best acted scenes in tv history. Will losing all of his bluster and bravado and breaking down with, "Why don't he want me man?" always makes the room get dusty for me. I don't know if Phil Avery improvised that quick hug or what but I know I always want to reach through the screen and give Will a hug whenever I watch this one.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 4

Doesn't anyone still watch Supernatural?  I would have thought the Castiel thing would provoke a reaction from the board's progressives.

Spoiler

Castiel was seemingly written out of the show for good two weeks ago (the series finale finally airs this week).  In ep 18, Castiel declares romantic love for Dean, apparently experiences a moment of true happiness because he did so, and then is literally dragged off by a monster 30 seconds later and doomed to spend the rest of eternity in an empty void between life and the afterlife.  I don't think the messaging there came across quite as the writers intended.

FWIW, I don't remember there even being a hint that Cas was gay or had feelings for the Sam or Dean.  The show has mostly portrayed Cas as asexual. The revelation really came out of left field.  Even if Cas is gay, it seems really odd that his one moment of perfect happiness is coming out and expressing it, then saying "well, you don't have to say it back or feel anything for me."  Wouldn't your true moment of happiness come when the other person reciprocated your feelings?  Without that, you're one step from being a creepy stalker.

There was a story line reason for Castiel to come out when he did, though the logic was fairly tenuous.  I took it as a really ham-fisted attempt to be liberal and inclusive even though it didn't make much sense for the character.  Seen a fair bit of grumbling online about the mixed messaging of a character coming out only to be literally dragged off to sorta-Hell seconds later.

The episode after this wrapped up the ongoing storyline vs. the big bad and the series finale is supposedly just Sam and Dean hunting a monster, so this seems to be the last canon appearance of Castiel.

I kinda want the time I've spent on Supernatural back.  I've never really liked the show that much or watched it weekly, but every year, I seem to get bored on a summer or holiday weekend and marathon the latest batch of eps.  Didn't hatewatch it, but kept watching for some reason I can't explain.

Imo, the show should have ended when Kripke left.  I'm not even a big fan of the Kripke seasons, but after that, the show had the same problems in season 6 as it had in season 15.  Poor scripting, lack of character development, interesting plot turns that never went anywhere or got wrapped up with in a satisfying, dramatic manner.  The show reinvented itself every couple seasons, but it was more slapping a new can of paint on an old framework.   God as a big bad wasn't much different than Amaya or the various angel big bads or the demons of the first couple years.  New face, same formula.  I had some hope for the last season+ which riffed on Preacher and threw out the idea that everything bad that happens to humanity (and the Winchesters in particular) is simply God screwing with us because he's bored, but after an interesting setup, the show went back to the formula.

The finale was literally a fist fight between God - an all-powerful cosmic presence - and Sam and Dean.  And it ended with a plot twist borrowed from every Rocky movie.  Lol  

Three episodes into S4 of Fargo and the main mafia feud storyline isn't doing much for me. The trademark Fargo aesthetic and overall feel is still there, but this plot is just way too derivative to really keep my interest. Does it pick up at some point, or do any of the other side plots become more interesting?

On 11/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Three episodes into S4 of Fargo and the main mafia feud storyline isn't doing much for me. The trademark Fargo aesthetic and overall feel is still there, but this plot is just way too derivative to really keep my interest. Does it pick up at some point, or do any of the other side plots become more interesting?

We have two episodes left, and none of the side plots have picked up enough steam or been given enough time to really make a difference. The mafia story is fine, but as you say quite derivative. I'm enjoying it, but I find it to be the weakest of the seasons thus far. 

• Like 1