DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Howie Mandel just told the most incredible Richard Pryor story on The Comedy Store. I'll spoiler it in case you wanna watch it for yourself. 

Spoiler

Richard walks onstage. He says to the crowd "I'm God." Everyone chuckles because it's Pryor... but he starts playing God. God says he hasn't seen his kid in awhile and he needs to find him. God is told that his kid has been crucified, and Richard starts screaming, crying, freaking out. He asks the crowd where a series of Jesus' disciples are and all of them have been crucified. He screams, cries, freaks out. He demands to see Martin Luther King, finds out he's been shot. He demands to see Kennedy, finds out he's been shot. 

God says "You're on your own."

Pryor leaves the stage. 

The crowd sits in silence, crying. 

• Like 2

My first thought was that the new Spider-Man is filming in Astoria this week (along with Long Island and Sunnyside).

EDIT: There's also Google hits for Serenity Now being the working title.

Edited by Casey

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Howie Mandel just told the most incredible Richard Pryor story on The Comedy Store. I'll spoiler it in case you wanna watch it for yourself. 

Hide contents

Richard walks onstage. He says to the crowd "I'm God." Everyone chuckles because it's Pryor... but he starts playing God. God says he hasn't seen his kid in awhile and he needs to find him. God is told that his kid has been crucified, and Richard starts screaming, crying, freaking out. He asks the crowd where a series of Jesus' disciples are and all of them have been crucified. He screams, cries, freaks out. He demands to see Martin Luther King, finds out he's been shot. He demands to see Kennedy, finds out he's been shot. 

God says "You're on your own."

Pryor leaves the stage. 

The crowd sits in silence, crying. 

As a lapsed Catholic from a devout family, this is pretty much my feelings about God in this nightmare year.

Minus Richard Pryor's involvement, of course.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Joshua Jackson is replacing Jamie Dornan in Peacock’s Dr. Death Series

Dornan left citing scheduling conflicts due to COVID

ALSO leaving the show where Chris Sullivan (This Is Us) and director Stephen Frears (also saying it was scheduling conflicts)

Alec Baldwin and Christian Slater are still schedule to also star on the show

No its not about Steve Williams

I'm not sure if this is the thread I'm supposed to put this in, but I stumbled upon Paradise PD on Netflix and holy shit! Now, I'm all about intelligent, high-brow humor like this, but I'd assume a whole bunch of people are going to have a problem with this show! Every time you think they simply cannot get more gross, they lower the bar effortlessly. This is really something. Maybe first 3 episodes were like, "um, I'm not sure about this", but by the time Carla showed up, I was all in. I did watch some episodes of Brickleberry (sp?), but this makes that seem tame in comparison. The imagination on some people...jeez!

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

I'm not sure if this is the thread I'm supposed to put this in, but I stumbled upon Paradise PD on Netflix and holy shit! Now, I'm all about intelligent, high-brow humor like this, but I'd assume a whole bunch of people are going to have a problem with this show! Every time you think they simply cannot get more gross, they lower the bar effortlessly. This is really something. Maybe first 3 episodes were like, "um, I'm not sure about this", but by the time Carla showed up, I was all in. I did watch some episodes of Brickleberry (sp?), but this makes that seem tame in comparison. The imagination on some people...jeez!

Something Brickleberry and Paradise PD have in common is creator Roger Black, aka Yucko the Clown(which explains a lot). One reason Brickleberry seems tamer is because it was a Comedy Central show.

3 hours ago, driver said:

Something Brickleberry and Paradise PD have in common is creator Roger Black, aka Yucko the Clown(which explains a lot). One reason Brickleberry seems tamer is because it was a Comedy Central show.

Yeah, and that wasn't exactly a PC show in and of itself! I mean, I'm not complaining, I'm having a great time watching it, but I just wonder how the hell they get away with all that absolute grossness? They have pretty much literally touched everything at this point and I'm only a few episodes into Season 2!

8 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, and that wasn't exactly a PC show in and of itself! I mean, I'm not complaining, I'm having a great time watching it, but I just wonder how the hell they get away with all that absolute grossness? They have pretty much literally touched everything at this point and I'm only a few episodes into Season 2!

I finally finished it last night. If you liked it there are other shows in the same vein: HOOPS, Big Mouth & Disenchantment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, driver said:

I finally finished it last night. If you liked it there are other shows in the same vein: HOOPS, Big Mouth & Disenchantment.

Thanks! Disenchantment has been taken care of and the two others you mentioned show up each time I try to look for comedies. I'll be sure to check them out at some point.

1PVe_Vw-POK2TXjSRyl41qNrhc_K_hDSK1B8Gy_t

EDIT: Deadline says it's a limited 10 episode series, so at least it won't be drawn out. Much rather Showtime execs focus on getting David Lynch on board for S4 of Twin Peaks, though.

Edited by Casey

The first three episodes of Dexter are great in an American Psycho way. Everything else doesn’t make sense.

I got my hopes up during the brief time when they were making Batman comparisons in the 2nd season almost had me thinking it’d just be a goofy vigilante show. Alas it was just a tease.