DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 8/19/2020 at 4:55 PM, Craig H said:

I'm doing a re-watch of Justified, but this time with my wife who has never seen it. She knows I'm a huge fan of Timothy Olyphant and my glee of seeing him in the Good Place from months ago probably helped convince her to watch it.

It is as fucking awesome as I remember. What I forgot though was how the first 5 or 6 episodes are basically like a non-serialized USA TV show. My wife goes, "so, does every episode end with Raylan killing someone and it being...justified?" And I had to explain how they changed direction about midway through the first season to make it more serialized. We didn't even get to the end of season 1 before she was in love with most of the characters, namely Raylan, Art, Boyd, Gutterson, Wynn Duffy, Wynn Duffy's eyebrows, Winona, Dewey, etc. Even I found myself liking Dewey way more this time around and I HATED him the first time I watched Justified.

Justified is easily one of my all-time favorite series and it's fun to revisit it. I think the only thing I'm dreading is the Michael Rappoport season.

I got to the Patton Oswald season (4?5?) and gave up after that, I really need to go back but his character really annoyed me. 

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Apparently you weren't the only one; Timothy Olyphant called him out on Conan for being the only douchebag on the show.

He's joking around because they're friends and they're also both friends with Conan.

Hence Olyphant getting him on Santa Clarita Diet.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, peterien said:

I got to the Patton Oswald season (4?5?) and gave up after that, I really need to go back but his character really annoyed me. 

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Apparently you weren't the only one; Timothy Olyphant called him out on Conan for being the only douchebag on the show.

As Craig said that was just Olyphant fucking around. That said, while I do like Oswald, with the exception of Happy the few things I have seen him in he does tend to come across as a bit douchey/annoying. Part of it is absolutely in the characters themselves though so I'm not sure how much that is really his fault.

On the topic of Tim Olyphant and Conan O'Brien, if you haven't heard the episode of Conan's podcast with Tim, check it out. They're such an odd pairing to be really good friends but their chemistry is a blast to listen to (and Tim is hilarious and charming, of course).

10 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'd like to be struck by a meteor now, please. 

This looks good, but it upsets my stomach and feels very unnecessary right now. We're still actively living through this shitshow. The constant reminder that we're in fact living through a shitshow doesn't make it any better.

Also, I haven't watched the second episode of Lovecraft Country yet, but my impression of the first episode was that it's maybe one of the best pilots/first episodes I've ever seen. I think it's up there with Lost. My wife and I were both equally freaked out and my jaw was on the floor for all of the shit that happened at the end. Hell, we were both freaked out by just the intensity of the first confrontation with the county sheriff.

Lovecraft Country is fucking great.  I am posting about it in the Horror thread.  The intro for S1 E1 blew my mind, but they did smash like nine chapters from the novel into a couple of extremely busy one hour episodes.

S1 E2 had a LOT going on.

17 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Cobra Kai season 1 & 2 start on Netflix this Friday with season 3 being held off to 2021. Total mark out moment at the end of the new Netflix preview.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dammit. I was really holding out hope that it would wind up coming out this fall.

Also, I really hope they managed to get Elizabeth Shue in for season 3. Bringing back Chozen is fine, I guess, but at some point I would just like it if they focused on shit from Karate Kid and literally nothing from 2 or 3. Not Chozen, don't even reference Sato, or Kumiko, or Mike Barnes, or Terry Silver. They have enough meat on the bone as it is to not have to keep dipping into the bag of "member berries."

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dammit. I was really holding out hope that it would wind up coming out this fall.

Also, I really hope they managed to get Elizabeth Shue in for season 3. Bringing back Chozen is fine, I guess, but at some point I would just like it if they focused on shit from Karate Kid and literally nothing from 2 or 3. Not Chozen, don't even reference Sato, or Kumiko, or Mike Barnes, or Terry Silver. They have enough meat on the bone as it is to not have to keep dipping into the bag of "member berries."

Season 3 was all shot before COVID hit so the Chozen thing could be something similar to when Kreese showed up at the very end of season 1. 

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

This looks good, but it upsets my stomach and feels very unnecessary right now. We're still actively living through this shitshow. The constant reminder that we're in fact living through a shitshow doesn't make it any better.

It's like history is lapping itself at this point. We're talking about shit (and I emphasize the term SHIT) before it's even over and done with. Surreal.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm fine with shit from 2 being recognized as it fits with Danel's overall learning and being stuck in a real world situation instead of High School and a tournament, and Chozen showing up ending up what Daniel was "supposed" to be after 2 would be a neat story line.  

Now I'm totally on board not speaking a fucking thing about 3 ever again (my love for Terry Silver quotes and Thomas Ian Griffin notwithstanding)

On 8/24/2020 at 11:35 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'd like to be struck by a meteor now, please. 

Just as long as Daniels doesn't give another nirvana fallacy-fueled whinefest about how America isn't great for leftist utopian dipshits to periodically post on my facebook feed...

18 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Just as long as Daniels doesn't give another nirvana fallacy-fueled whinefest about how America isn't great for leftist utopian dipshits to periodically post on my facebook feed...

To be fair, that's more Sorkin than Daniels.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:43 AM, Craig H said:

Also, I really hope they managed to get Elizabeth Shue in for season 3. 

They hinted really, really strong at the end of season 2 that she'd be part of season 3 (at least her character).  I sure hope she is.

On 8/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, Craig H said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I checked IMDB and the actor who played Chozen isn't listed as being in season 3 (though they could have recast him). The line being something like "Mr Miaygi treated me like a son and wouldn't keep any secrets from me" makes me think there's going to be some story about Miyagi having an estranged child. From the IMDB trivia section for Part 2 "Some scenes cut from the original script include a scene introducing a mysterious character named Webster Miyagi who waits for Miyagi outside the tournament building, to whom Miyagi reacts in an uncomfortable manner, "

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I checked IMDB and the actor who played Chozen isn't listed as being in season 3 (though they could have recast him). The line being something like "Mr Miaygi treated me like a son and wouldn't keep any secrets from me" makes me think there's going to be some story about Miyagi having an estranged child. From the IMDB trivia section for Part 2 "Some scenes cut from the original script include a scene introducing a mysterious character named Webster Miyagi who waits for Miyagi outside the tournament building, to whom Miyagi reacts in an uncomfortable manner, "

If they were making Chozen or Ali a surprise then I don't think you would see them listed on iMDB. Also, I feel like Miyagi having an estranged child might jump the shark a little bit.