DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I've seen Unknown Hinson live a couple of times and he always put on an entertaining show. He could play guitar like a motherfucker and would always take the time to talk to people for a while after shows while maintaining kayfabe better than most wrestlers. I don't follow him on social media, but it sounds like he always stayed in character there as well, only it's now become clear he had pulled a Flair in becoming his gimmick, or always just was that way. What is it with Adult Swim shows either disappearing overnight or staying on the air for years past their sell by date?

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Holy fuck. 

Lovecraft Country was fucking awesome. 

I was unimpressed with the book but really enjoyed the first episode. Hopefully it's a case of good ideas finding a better medium and larger group of creators to give it a proper outlet.

I'm doing a re-watch of Justified, but this time with my wife who has never seen it. She knows I'm a huge fan of Timothy Olyphant and my glee of seeing him in the Good Place from months ago probably helped convince her to watch it.

It is as fucking awesome as I remember. What I forgot though was how the first 5 or 6 episodes are basically like a non-serialized USA TV show. My wife goes, "so, does every episode end with Raylan killing someone and it being...justified?" And I had to explain how they changed direction about midway through the first season to make it more serialized. We didn't even get to the end of season 1 before she was in love with most of the characters, namely Raylan, Art, Boyd, Gutterson, Wynn Duffy, Wynn Duffy's eyebrows, Winona, Dewey, etc. Even I found myself liking Dewey way more this time around and I HATED him the first time I watched Justified.

Justified is easily one of my all-time favorite series and it's fun to revisit it. I think the only thing I'm dreading is the Michael Rappoport season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Justified is easily one of my all-time favorite series and it's fun to revisit it. I think the only thing I'm dreading is the Michael Rappoport season.

Michael Rappoport gets my vote for actor who I hate the most, despite him being in a shit load of things that I really like.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Michael Rappoport gets my vote for actor who I hate the most, despite him being in a shit load of things that I really like.  

I'll second that vote.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'll second that vote.

He shot Tyra Banks in 1995, and I don't think I've ever forgave him.  I was 14 in 1995, and Tyra Banks was probably the single most sympathetic person on earth in the eyes of a young supremebve.  

7 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I was unimpressed with the book but really enjoyed the first episode. Hopefully it's a case of good ideas finding a better medium and larger group of creators to give it a proper outlet.

Yeah, I don't think I'd go so far as to call it awesome.  Granted, I canceled my HBO subscription and won't be watching the rest for several months, but it would have to get significantly weirder to really grab my imagination.  But, a good start, and timely.

I've heard Rappaport interviewed a lot over the years. He definitely comes across as abrasive. Heard him interviewed today and he used the word "dope" so many times that it was bordering on parody. Considering his age he should go all in on trying to bring back "DEF!" Best performance I've ever seen him have was his brief role in the [i[Kiss Of Death[/i] remake where he uttered something along the lines of "Why're you guys dressed up like the Gorton's fisherman?"

Comedy Central has decided to change course and has cancelled Tosh.0 after giving it a 4 season renewal in January

It's upcoming 12th season will be its last. 10 episodes starting Sept 15 with the finale on Nov 24

Apparently ViacomCBS is going to help shop the show to other networks and based on a tweet from Tosh himself - it appears it is because Comedy Central is focusing on just animated shows

Comedy Central had the same change of mind with Drunk History announcing it was cancelled after renewing it earlier this year