DVDVR Message Board

2020 Q3 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Space Force has apparently been renewed for Season 2.  

I'll just say, the show was really good -- whenever Steve Carell wasn't on screen.  But I guess making it more about the staff than him would just make it The Office in a different setting. 

• Like 1

CBS has removed Survivor from its Fall schedule since obviously they haven't been able to film it

Amazing Race will take its place since the new season was filmed before COVID hit.

SEAL Team will move up an hour (to 9 PM EST) and S.W.A.T (which was to be a mid-season show) will now air at 10 PM EST (this is all on Wednesday)

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'll just say, the show was really good -- whenever Steve Carell wasn't on screen.  But I guess making it more about the staff than him would just make it The Office in a different setting. 

Space Force was like a NHL team who brings on some big name talent at the trade deadline to go along with the teams current big name talent, then get's bounced in 6 games in the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So do you think it's worth watching? I got major Veep vibes from the previews for it, but then it got destroyed by reviews. 

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Just because I am making sure to avoid spoilers I will say this here.

Finally finished Season 3 of The Good Place. Now I have to figure out how to watch Season 4

The NBC app only has the last 5 episodes

I am assuming if I do Peacock (even if it means the free trial) - they would have the entire last season but I need to check that

You would assume wrong. Peacock has exactly zero seasons of The Good Place. Netflix is the streaming home for the show - previous seasons have been added in August, so... make of that what you will.

48 minutes ago, Casey said:

You would assume wrong. Peacock has exactly zero seasons of The Good Place. Netflix is the streaming home for the show - previous seasons have been added in August, so... make of that what you will.

I have been watching it on Netflix it was just a) I didn't know when the 4th season was set to hit it b) when I googled it - the first story claimed it would be both the NBC app and Peacock

I am assuming it the latter's case that the people who wrote it missed that it wouldn't be on until the Netflix rights ran out

One of the problems with the STREAMING WARZ~! is not knowing what shows are on which service. You cant presume an NBC show will be on Peacock if it was produced by Warner Bro’s or Disneyor Fox. And so on.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

So do you think it's worth watching? I got major Veep vibes from the previews for it, but then it got destroyed by reviews. 

I liked it.  It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be overall but Malkovich fucking kills it every time he's on screen.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

Carell is entirely wrong for his part.  He needs to land the plane of gravitas-laden straight man and it just does not work, at all. Unfortunately, he's like half the show. The rest of the cast though is fantastic.  

Malcovich is a treasure.  Ben Schwartz (Jean Ralphio from Parks & Rec) is terrific as a slimy PR person. Jimmy O. Yang (Jian Yang from Silicon Valley) is great. Lisa Kudrow is really fun when she's on screen.

I'm willing to see where it goes in season 2, because if they dial back Carell (or replace him), the show has got a lot of promise. They actually make POTUS and his insane missives part of the show, and it works as these career engineers/scientists/military personnel have no idea how to deal with the mad king.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

ViacomCBS has cut ties with Nick Cannon after Cannon refused to apologize for making anti-Semitic comments (well more specifically spreading anti-Semitic conspiracy theories on his podcast)

No wonder on if FOX will do anything since he is the host of The Masked Singer (We all know the answer here)

*Insert Jackie Martling evil laugh here*

Fox to keep Nick Cannon as Masked Singer host: 'He is remorseful'

Another for the Rippa was right column

Really if you read that story - its amazing

Spend the entire day bitching about ViacomCBS is the devil and swindled your property and how he is not sorry and that Viacom needed to apologize to him to magically apologizing so FOX could let him keep his job.

51 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Ben Schwartz (Jean Ralphio from Parks & Rec) is terrific as a slimy PR person. Jimmy O. Yang (Jian Yang from Silicon Valley) is great. Lisa Kudrow is really fun when she's on screen.

I'm willing to see where it goes in season 2, because if they dial back Carell (or replace him), the show has got a lot of promise. They actually make POTUS and his insane missives part of the show, and it works as these career engineers/scientists/military personnel have no idea how to deal with the mad king.  

Fuck Tony might be the best fitting character name in forever.  But yeah, Carell needed to be the straight man to everyone else.

I feel like I should use this talk of Malkovich to talk people into The New Pope, but I may be one of the only people here who would find it wildly, perversely enjoyable and I have no idea how to sell it. Oh well. 

Anyway, here's an update from Alex Trebek regarding his health and his facial hair, as well as a programming note:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm rewatching The Wire and I've come to the conclusion that Stan Valchek is the worst human being on the entire show.  

And that is really saying something because 95% of those characters are kinda terrible human beings

7 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I feel like I should use this talk of Malkovich to talk people into The New Pope, but I may be one of the only people here who would find it wildly, perversely enjoyable and I have no idea how to sell it. Oh well. 

Anyway, here's an update from Alex Trebek regarding his health and his facial hair, as well as a programming note:

The New Pope was amazing and just like The Young Pope, Silvio Orlando steals the show. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, J.H. said:

And that is really saying something because 95% of those characters are kinda terrible human beings

There are multiple mass murders who have more redeeming qualities. 

Edited by supremebve

On 7/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, supremebve said:

I'm rewatching The Wire and I've come to the conclusion that Stan Valchek is the worst human being on the entire show.  

I do love Carcetti's line about him though. "He's a hack but he's my hack."

But yeah, fuck Valchek. Haven't watched the show in a while but IIRC, Sobotka's murder and the Grain Pier project getting derailed were basically the result of Valchek getting pissy about Sobotka's union giving the church a bigger stained glass window than him.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:39 AM, J.H. said:

When you stack up all of those characters in their horribleness he really does rise to the top. Marlo Stanfield and him have to be neck and neck, and one of the two never had the benefit of their race and upbringing to depend upon, so...

Now, who is the nicest/best (in a moral sense) character in The Wire? It's got to be Alma or Gus, right? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Finished up season 5 of Line of Duty.  Watched all five seasons in the space of 4-5 weeks.  Really enjoyed it, though I kinda feel like it's overpraised.  I've seen it described as best/second best UK drama in years. Wouldn't go that far.

For me, personally, I liked the show more when it stuck to the procedural format.  Interrogation scenes were the highlights for me.  I kinda wanted the show to be Law and Order, the creator can't decide if he wants the series to be L&O or 24.  When you think you know where the show's going, there's some big twist.  Twists were usually kind of over the top and took the show in a direction less interesting to me.  It wasn't the shock twists of throat slashings, chases through the streets, cast members being pushed out windows, etc. that kept me watching.

That said, the end scene of the fourth season opener was something.  One of my favorite "gotcha" scenes.

Spoiler

Thandie Newton guest-starred as a cop who fabricated evidence to make an arrest and got the wrong man convicted.  At the end of the ep, she has it out with one of her forensic investigators at the guy's home.  She's going to ruin the guy, so he pushes her and she falls and hits her head.  Thinking she's dead, the csi decides to use his forensic training to hide her body.  So he gets into a protective suit, wraps her in a sheet, and prepares to cut her up.  As he leans over her,  about to cut her with a bonesaw, she opens her eyes.  Scene faded to black on that note and didn't make it clear what happened after that until later in the season.

We finished the Mandalorian over the weekend.  The definitely stuck the landing, although trying to figure out what happened at the very end sent me down a wookiepedia rabbit hole and now I guess I have to watch a bunch of Star Wars cartoons?