DVDVR Message Board

UFC 251: Usman vs. Masvidal (7/11/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

WHAT??? DIDN'T SOMEONE HERE SAY JORGE MASVIDAL WASN'T THAT BIG OF A DRAW?!?!

BTW They got Rock and Charlize Theron (who has a new film that just came out on Netflix) pumping this thing up so here we go.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

WHAT??? DIDN'T SOMEONE HERE SAY JORGE MASVIDAL WASN'T THAT BIG OF A DRAW?!?!

BTW They got Rock and Charlize Theron (who has a new film that just came out on Netflix) pumping this thing up so here we go.

What??? Didn’t someone previously say you can’t buy into things Dana White says? Oh wait when it applies to Jorge you’ll do that? Get a life.

If when they actually release numbers (which Dana will at some point, because he’ll want to brag it up) it does more than a McGregor fight where he headlined a card, and it wasn’t against Cerrone I’ll give Jorge credit. It shouldn’t be hard to beat that card though as it was a total crap fest the main event included. 

Edited by MavsFan77

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: Jiri vs. Volkan

The one division I can't get a proper grasp on prospects in is 205. This is the one that eludes me the most. Reyes is probably the only one I guessed right on. I admit I wasn't that impressed with Volkan when he first arrived but that was clearly him acclimating to the level of competition. So many prospects have failed to do that. The one guy I totally swung and missed was Jonathan Wilson, who by now most people have forgot about if they ever knew his name. I thought he had all the physical tools and gifts. He won his UFC debut is impressive fashion and then he was complete doo doo. Jiri to his credit at least beat credible opposition prior to coming to the UFC unlike 99% of guys who come into the UFC at Light Heavyweight. I remember when you had to beat a legit 205 gatekeeper like a Roger Hollett or Toni Valtonen or Rodney Faverus or Victor Valimaki or David Heath or Vernon White or at the very least blown up perennial middleweights like Joe Doerksen and Jeremy Horn to get into the UFC. Now you can beat a blown up welterweight or two and have a somewhat successful campaign at Light Heavyweight. It's been shaky at best. Hopefully, this matchup can mark a sea change.

205 is hard to project because guys that size have so many athletic opportunities before they decide to get punched in the face.  Therefore most guys that size are learning on the job in ways that a lot of smaller guys are not.  A lot of them find success early because, but never really round out their games because they stick to what gave them that initial success.  When they get to the better, more well rounded, more durable competition a lot of times it falls apart, because they never really had a chance to build a foundation of skills.  It's why so many old guys stick around for so long at 205 and heavyweight.  Those divisions are full of dudes who hit their prime late, have a good to great foundation of skills, or are just plain tough as nails.  The first two are related to the fact that athletes that size are given opportunity to fail at any sport they try for as long as they can compete.  They move onto MMA and it takes a long time to become a good striker, or a good grappler, but a lot of these guys are good enough athletes to mask their deficencies...until they fight someone good.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

Didn’t someone previously say you can’t buy into things Dana White says? Oh wait when it applies to Jorge you’ll do that?

No my very friendly wrong compatriot, I never said such a thing. I said you cannot buy into UFC believing that they can do without draws. That they can do whatever they like. Now there use to be a time where UFC frequently wrote its own policies (shit, we talked about whether or not UFC would follow the ABC recommendations on new weight classes for almost eight or nine years instead of them disregarding those meetings like everything else outside of UFC) since no one outside the commissions that regulate them could force the UFC to do anything. Then, everyone else nine out of ten times would follow suit because the UFC is/was by far and away the industry leader. For the past thirteen years here, I've been the nicest and most lenient person to Dana perhaps ever (especially on the implementation of USADA and lack of overall transparency in many instances). I cannot remember anyone else being as objective about Dana especially when it came to his relationship with fighters. With that said, he is getting exposed more and more because everything right now in the ESPN era is clearly negotiating through media. He knows he is dead ass wrong in most cases. This Masvidal thing is perhaps the best example of that since the whole "Nate Diaz doesn't move the needle" thing. He tells Masvidal to sit at home and then barely a month later if that, this motherfucker not only gets the money he was searching for but he gets to headline what is usually UFC's marquee PPV show every year especially if it isn't the NYE card or sometimes the MSG card here or there. Why? Right now, during the pandemic, UFC gets to be the biggest sport in the world until if and when football, basketball, and baseball come back. Dana has been talking about UFC being the biggest sport in the world for what? Twelve years he probably started this silliness talking about how if someone sees a game in one corner and a fight in another everyone goes to the fight. That's his mindset. This is the closest they have been and most likely will ever be to that. You don't get that chance and then give away being an utter dumbass. I already went over satisfying his paymasters in the Fighter Pay/USADA thread and also UFC fervently being anti union and trying stave them off. He cannot get away with what he use to get away use because the company makes too much money (even if they're servicing a lot of debt) in addition to too much media coverage on them (this goes especially for right now). He can still curse up a storm cause everyone including the mainstream media accepts that is Dana. However, on top of being a promoter, he has to be a real sports commissioner now. That includes acquiescing to shit several years UFC would never ever agree to because they had so much leverage in their corner. In a lot of cases, I was on their (UFC) side because there was no way someone was gonna step up and take a bullet for change (maybe GSP on the odd occasion). It also made no sense to argue for fighters who collectively could not unify on anything. However, times... they are a changing. On top of Masvidal, I expect the McGregor and Jones situations to be resolved sooner rather than later cause they need them too. You don't get all the top talent in the world to showcase them and NOT try to make them superstars.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No my very friendly wrong compatriot, I never said such a thing. I said you cannot buy into UFC believing that they can do without draws. That they can do whatever they like. Now there use to be a time where UFC frequently wrote its own policies (shit, we talked about whether or not UFC would follow the ABC recommendations on new weight classes for almost eight or nine years instead of them disregarding those meetings like everything else outside of UFC) since no one outside the commissions that regulate them could force the UFC to do anything. Then, everyone else nine out of ten times would follow suit because the UFC is/was by far and away the industry leader. For the past thirteen years here, I've been the nicest and most lenient person to Dana perhaps ever (especially on the implementation of USADA and lack of overall transparency in many instances). I cannot remember anyone else being as objective about Dana especially when it came to his relationship with fighters. With that said, he is getting exposed more and more because everything right now in the ESPN era is clearly negotiating through media. He knows he is dead ass wrong in most cases. This Masvidal thing is perhaps the best example of that since the whole "Nate Diaz doesn't move the needle" thing. He tells Masvidal to sit at home and then barely a month later if that, this motherfucker not only gets the money he was searching for but he gets to headline what is usually UFC's marquee PPV show every year especially if it isn't the NYE card or sometimes the MSG card here or there. Why? Right now, during the pandemic, UFC gets to be the biggest sport in the world until if and when football, basketball, and baseball come back. Dana has been talking about UFC being the biggest sport in the world for what? Twelve years he probably started this silliness talking about how if someone sees a game in one corner and a fight in another everyone goes to the fight. That's his mindset. This is the closest they have been and most likely will ever be to that. You don't get that chance and then give away being an utter dumbass. I already went over satisfying his paymasters in the Fighter Pay/USADA thread and also UFC fervently being anti union and trying stave them off. He cannot get away with what he use to get away use because the company makes too much money (even if they're servicing a lot of debt) in addition to too much media coverage on them (this goes especially for right now). He can still curse up a storm cause everyone including the mainstream media accepts that is Dana. However, on top of being a promoter, he has to be a real sports commissioner now. That includes acquiescing to shit several years UFC would never ever agree to because they had so much leverage in their corner. In a lot of cases, I was on their (UFC) side because there was no way someone was gonna step up and take a bullet for change (maybe GSP on the odd occasion). It also made no sense to argue for fighters who collectively could not unify on anything. However, times... they are a changing. On top of Masvidal, I expect the McGregor and Jones situations to be resolved sooner rather than later cause they need them too. You don't get all the top talent in the world to showcase them and NOT try to make them superstars.

Okay since you worded the beginning of this post in a much nicer manner than I’d anticipated I hope you won’t mind my replying to it. 

I’ve obviously not been a member here for all twelve of those years (even though I’ll admit I was a lurker, and I’d enjoy reading posts especially when Sprewellrimz used to be here), but if you say you’ve been lenient towards Dana White I have no choice but to take you at your word, and admit I screwed up in my previous post. 

So thank you for not cursing me out, and responding with such a well thought out post. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and actually found myself agreeing with almost everything you said. 

Now hopefully we can both enjoy tonight’s show, and you’ll forgive me for being an ass yesterday and today. I’d prefer to make friends here or at least be able to tolerate people (outside of my favorite Houston sports fan).

• Thanks 1

Karol Rosa is pretty decent compared to a lot of the Brazilian regional females including Melo who she fought tonight. Not sure what her upside at bantamweight is though.

Corner Man: "I told you not to grab him. Forget Jiujitsu. Forget Kicks. I just want boxing and knees to the face."

Fighter then throws a kick to start.

I'm having a great time.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

shocked the ref didn;t stop the fight after Santos kicked his head right off the fucking cage!!  Santos was on fire and now he's the one on the receiving end. What a fight!

I would say he had just enough there to not have it stopped, as Goddard was stepping in to stop the fight after the headkick and told Bogatov he must defend himself. Bogatov instantly dove in for the takedown. That was great.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

I would say he had just enough there to not have it stopped, as Goddard was stepping in to stop the fight after the headkick and told Bogatov he must defend himself. Bogatov instantly dove in for the takedown. That was great.

the funny thing is this one of the few fights tonight i didn't bet $$ on!  I have a friend who took Santos and am hoping he pulls it out. Regardless, this has been a fun fight low  blows aside.  The reason for all these low blows tonight is that the fighters want all the hot island girls to themselves therefore kicking their opponent in the nuts is one less guy to compete with.