DVDVR Message Board

Raw es El Legado - 7/6/2020

Dolfan in NYC

45 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Asuka is a great wrestler. But I have to ask. What in the actual fuck is Asuka's gimmick supposed to be?

She's Japanese?

I had to explain to my wife the rule about Asian (specifically Japanese) wrestlers: "They're either evil/sneaky or supremely wacky, and they all know martial arts."

(Side note: I'm Japanese myself. I've accepted this trope.)

Edited by The Green Meanie

Sarcastically thinking this as I watched Raw earlier

Is this Eye for an Eye match gonna be some misdirection like Cena/Bray and MitB where we get cinematic style wackiness from Seth and Rey? The Boneyard Match only someone "loses" an eye through Dunn style million  camera cuts and zooms? Is Eye for an Eye their version of Moxley with the eyepatch and he pulls a gotcha on Jericho to win the title? Will Randy Orton be calling out Eric for the flagrant thigh slaps after that 6 man tag? Would the pokemon evolution of Erik be - Eric-> Ivar->Killian Dain->Big Show? Is the ghost of Pants Free JR roaming around Raw? Swear I heard Ivar being called the Lethal Lothario. Havent watched much of Raw since Backlash maybe, so not that familiar with the Raiders tbh

Highlights-

Ruby talking about the IIconics voices getting on her nerves and Billie responding with a shrill REALLY???? had me spit soda out my nose. Good one there hahahaha

Orton sneaking up on Show and almost hitting the RKO was great. If he'd landed it I would have jumped out my seat, can't remember had he pulled off RKOuttanowhere on Big Show before but this match had me dying to see it

Kairi and Sasha, such a good match until the run in. Run this one back, give it about 15-20 with no interference, I think it could be wild. Ditto Sasha/Io. No interference, let them tear down the house. ?

Slater in that opener. Gratitude for the hero who posted Slater and Brocks clip. Slater can cut the money promos with that passion, would kill to see him tear it up big once the non compete is up. He can bump like a madman, there was this legend who flung him over the top rope through a table at ringside and it was INSANE if memory serves, always wanted to see Slater get some bigger opportunities and hopefully they're coming soon.

Pretty good seeing MVP still running in 2020. If we can have Shelton going strong I feel like MVP has a good chance too, especially seeing he didn't blow any spots or look lost like in the comeback match against Rey months back. 

Edited by Hayabusa
Slater for a second had me thinking OC was on the juice!?

10 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

The Boneyard Match only someone "loses" an eye through Dunn style million  camera cuts and zooms?

Hope not. That guy is about ten thousand miles away from the cinematographical skills of Sergio Salvati so no way do I trust him to pull off a blinding. (Now if Seth's eye exploded like Pirata Morgan... aw, even I can't wish that on someone. Maybe something involving his tongue though.)

Orton should be just pushed away half the time he attempts an RKO. At this point everyone knows it's coming, and that's the easiest and funniest way to deflect it.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Even Bayley stumbling her way through a promo like this is good. 

"Nikki's accent is annoying. She's annoying."

Wrestlers should periodically trip over their own tongue in promos for the same reason they should struggle to put on a hold in the ring.  It feels more organic, more realistic.  In the latter case, it masks the cooperation and contrivance of a spot under "competitive" struggle that gets exposed when everyone does every thing clean the first time [and worse yet exposes botches more badly because those are the only time anyone "misses" something.]  Similarly, when they recite their written material clean and perfectly reproduce what's on the page, it just makes it more obvious everyone's performing scripted material with the same vocabulary and even taking dramatic pause breaks at the same intervals.  Little verbal hiccups make it sound like a real person being emotional -- ESPECIALLY when the emotion is supposed to be some variant of indignance or anger.  Doubly true in Bayley's case, because she's A] a heel, and B] scrambling to feed the reporter a Bullshit Excuse along the lines of "Well I Meant To Do That, Actually" so as not to admit weakness/defeat. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Wrestlers should periodically trip over their own tongue in promos for the same reason they should struggle to put on a hold in the ring.  It feels more organic, more realistic.  In the latter case, it masks the cooperation and contrivance of a spot under "competitive" struggle that gets exposed when everyone does every thing clean the first time [and worse yet exposes botches more badly because those are the only time anyone "misses" something.]  Similarly, when they recite their written material clean and perfectly reproduce what's on the page, it just makes it more obvious everyone's performing scripted material with the same vocabulary and even taking dramatic pause breaks at the same intervals.  Little verbal hiccups make it sound like a real person being emotional -- ESPECIALLY when the emotion is supposed to be some variant of indignance or anger.  Doubly true in Bayley's case, because she's A] a heel, and B] scrambling to feed the reporter a Bullshit Excuse along the lines of "Well I Meant To Do That, Actually" so as not to admit weakness/defeat. 

I agree, from a character standpoint, Bayley sounded a lot more natural there, like she was rightfully flustered and out of it. 

11 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Or it makes them seem dim, like Kalisto's lucha thing promo. That's the difference between heels and faces, I suppose.