DVDVR Message Board

Raw es El Legado - 7/6/2020

Dolfan in NYC

That one promo epitomizes how much WWE wasted Heath Slater for the last 10 years. Also, the man literally has kids. 

Also, I like the new US title design. Is it my favorite belt design? No, but I actually like it more than the US title design they've been using for the last 17 years. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed Asuka/Bayley.  Bayley had an extra pep in her step and Asuka was laying in her shit.  Bayley's really coming into her own with this heel character.  This is the most natural she's ever been her whole career.

Orton's another person thriving in this empty arena era.  Great stuff with his little Mexican Legacy group.  He also covered up his corpsing like a pro during that R-Truth run in.

Did Drew really bring up an Austin Powers reference in 2020? Geez.

LOVED the Heath Slater segment. Does this lead to a re-sign or was that just a tease?

I was really excited to hear about the US Championship redesign, but I like that belt even less then the original somehow. Not a fan of either that or the current IC designs.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't like that new belt. For starters I don't know why the word CHAMPION is over emphasized with the font they went with. You'd think UNITED STATES would be the bigger word.

I can't believe Kairi and Sasha never had a match before this. A competent company would have made that a hot feud to go into Summerslam. 

Bayley vs. Asuka was pretty damn good. Not as good as their NXT matches, but Heel Bayley is just so good. I want to see her win using a roll of quarters or something at some point.

• Like 1

The segment with Heath was good stuff and easily the best thing to happen in this Ziggler/Drew feud. Heath has been great as a comedy guy, but he definitely showed a side of himself I don't think anyone really saw in him before. Hope he gets a chance to impress be it back in WWE or elsewhere.

I'm finding myself kind of bored with the men's matches generally speaking as far as Raw goes though I'm enjoying their segments.

The Seth/Rey stuff was decent. Again though I can't help but feel it would be so much better with someone else in Seth's position. Not exactly sure what and eye for an eye match is supposed to be though.

I dug the stuff with MVP and co. I kind of hope MVP actually turns Cedric.

Orton getting Andrade and Garza to get their shit together through respect and death threats was kind of neat, and I did enjoy the last half or so of the six man tag with them together. You can really tell Orotn has been motivated this year in general as far as promos go.

Dug the Ruby/IIconics segment. The actual Ruby/Billie match was perfectly fine. Hopefully the reconciliation with Liv happens soon.

Sasha/Kairi was solid. It was good to see Kairi back and as a proper face.

Bayley/Asuka was good. Bayley continues to be a great shit talker, I dug Asuka's little comebacks, & Cross was fun at the beginning and end. So looking forward to Kabuki Warriors vs. Golden Role Models.

8 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I can't believe Kairi and Sasha never had a match before this. A competent company would have made that a hot feud to go into Summerslam. 

They were never on the same show until now. 

22 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Yeah, I don't like that new belt. For starters I don't know why the word CHAMPION is over emphasized with the font they went with. You'd think UNITED STATES would be the bigger word.

Bayley vs. Asuka was pretty damn good. Not as good as their NXT matches, but Heel Bayley is just so good. I want to see her win using a roll of quarters or something at some point.

But it’s got a winged bald eagle on it!

• Thanks 1

My two takeaways from tonight's show.   Best Orton's been since what 2004?  He's been so great.   Also,  the women's division is on a fucking tear right now.  I don't think it's a coincidence that fresh feuds have spiced it up a great deal either.  

I hate things like this Eye For An Eye stip or the idea someone's eye is going to be ripped out because you hear it and the first thing you think is "This is bullshit" (Unless Vader has come back from the dead and is going to face Stan Hansen at Extreme Rules). Reminds me of one of my favorite promo lines ever by CM Punk building up his blow off cage match with Raven: "I'm not going to come out here and say I'm going to kill Raven, I'm a realist".

47 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I dug the stuff with MVP and co. I kind of hope MVP actually turns Cedric.

I actually hope it's all a front for Ricochet turning on Cedric and joining MVP and playing a more AJ Styles-type of character: great wrestler who knows he's great and brags about it

I enjoyed this show quite a bit.

The opening segment was great.  WWE should keep firing people since the two guys they fired then brought back delivered on levels not seen previously in their WWE careers (Heath and Drake!).  I would have liked to see Heath get a little more shine in the match, but it would probably look bad if your World Champ can't beat a guy who they fired. But, if y'all remember, this wasn't the first time we had serious Heath.  

Now the Heath-Rhino stuff was awesome.  But I still kinda wish they'd kept him serious for a while.

Was thinking it was weird that Rollins was on KO's show, but then they actually acknowledged it and I was pretty shocked.

Billie-Ruby was pretty meh, but it was hilarious when her way-over-the-top hair extensions came off mid-match.  I actually think she might have stepped on her own hair!  Iiconics using it to taunt her was especially funny because of how hard WWE tried not to show it during the match, quickly cutting away when it came out, then only cutting back after the ref had kicked it off the apron.

Bayley-Asuka was one of my fave WWE matches of the year.  Lots of nastiness.  Even Bayley was laying some of her shots in pretty good.  And I've said it before, but Ill say it again, the plexiglass at ringside is awesome.  Everything sounds so much more impactful when wrestlers get thrown into it, rather than just the barricades.

It's very WWE that two different matches have carried a "You can choose the stipulation!" angle but neither of them try to stack the deck in their own favour.  I fully expect Dolph to make it a Claymore Match or some such nonsense.

Also, why is Bray-Braun non-title?  Are they going to try to draw this out until August?

Edited by caley
Spoiler box was all messed up

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  the women's division is on a fucking tear right now.  I don't think it's a coincidence that fresh feuds have spiced it up a great deal either.  

Its because for the first time in a while its feels like they give a fuck about more than a couple of women. That is always when the division is at its best. Its fine to have a couple of stars who are above the rest, but you still need to treat the others like their characters and stories matter. 

10 minutes ago, caley said:

I actually hope it's all a front for Ricochet turning on Cedric and joining MVP and playing a more AJ Styles-type of character: great wrestler who knows he's great and brags about it

Honestly I would be good with either guy going this route. I just want MVP to turn one of them successfully. 

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Its because for the first time in a while its feels like they give a fuck about more than a couple of women. That is always when the division is at its best. Its fine to have a couple of stars who are above the rest, but you still need to treat the others like their characters and stories matter. 

It also helps that pretty much every woman on the roster is wrestling at or near the peak of their abilities. The whole division has direction and is motivated. I think it's the best it's been main roster wise in a few years. 

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My two takeaways from tonight's show.   Best Orton's been since what 2004? 

I was thinking about that the other day. I'd go with 2011 mainly for Randy Orton's feud with Christian over the World Heavyweight Championship and then dropping the belt cleanly to Mark Henry as Henry had his Hall of Pain run.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Some better US title images. It was hard to make out the silver background under the Raw lighting.

WWE-United-States-Championship-645x370.j

Not to throw shade at AEW, but how can they still not have TNT title finished at this point? 

EcSZ0iwWkAE8VoH?format=jpg&name=small

EcSYAKgU8AA7dLJ?format=jpg&name=small

I like the new WWE United States Championship. It's had some staying power going from 2003-2020 while other belts had redesigns. Sad how the secondary titles on the main roster are better than the world titles there. Personally I'd never have got rid of the previous WWE Intercontinental Championship design, it's lasted so long for a reason. It's a classic. Wouldn't surprise me if it was rid off because Cody Rhodes brought it back, well a dodgier version at Hell in a Cell 2011 before it was replaced by a better Mk of it. I also like secondary titles to have white straps. Makes them stand out like that had and the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'll just come out and say it -- that belt is ugly as fuck. I think I like the tag-team penny titles with the Roman helmets on them more. 

I hated the bronze version of them, looks like those make a coin novelty machines:

maxresdefault.jpg

Hard to believe they’d put Heath back on TV so close to his contract being up and let him shine like that if they didn’t intend to keep him around.  But I hope he takes this momentum and goes off to do something new and interesting on the Indies or wherever.  I think we all know that WWE will forget about him again in, like, 3 months tops, if he re-signs.

Edited by EVA

Heath killed it last night, but I don't get the WWE's approach here. If you are going to do the Bret Hart "Monster of the Month" thing with Drew by feuding him with the 2020 equivalents of The Sultan and PCO, then that's a perfectly reasonable strategy while you wait this all out, but Heath with that backstory is a vastly more interesting monster of the month than Ziggler. So either replacing him in this Ziggler feud from the start, or having that be the next feud post-Ziggler makes a lot more sense than what they did IMO. As it is, I don't agree with using this bullet as a one-shot. There was a month story there, and it isn't like Ziggler moves the needle anyway.