DVDVR Message Board

TNA for Sale

EN090

whoever posted that idea about a reality show focused on 10 wrestlers traveling to mexico, japan, indies whatever would be good.  As long as a few of the guys were entertaining that would be a reality show I would actually watch.  Though, i'm sure it would be like every other reality show wehre there is a ton of stupid bs.  If it was focused on exclusively the wrestling, traveling to shows, and also not breaking kayfabe it would be great.

I hope these Billy Corgan rumors are false...

Why?  Was Resistance Pro worse than TNA?

1. While Corgan has money, I don't think he can be pouring tens of millions into TNA, like the Carters did (fun fact: Bob Carter lost $40 million on TNA even before signing Hogan and Bischoff)

2. Wrestling's obviously just a hobby; he's a musician. He'll be too busy touring and recording to give TNA his full attention

3. Running a small indy and a national promotion with international presence are two different things entirely.

Not to mention, any sensible business manager would strongly advise against it once they got a proper look at TNA's books.

You must not be much of a Billy Corgan fan. ;) Before this year, I think the Pumpkins only played a handful of shows, most of them festival dates. And from 2007 to now, he's only released one album. That's 7 years in between albums, and he doesn't tour all that much honestly. And I guarantee you, 100%, that TNA would make Corgan more money than his last album/tour did. This isn't the 90s, I don't think too many people are clamoring to hear Corgan & Random Friends play old Pumpkins songs and read his crappy poetry books.

This isn't entirely true. Corgan has been fairly busy. Corgan and a bunch of others contributed on an album, or set of albums, called Teargarden. The name of the band escapes me. Then the Pumpkins, sans Jimmy Chamberlain, released Oceania, and they have another album scheduled for release in December. He does all of this while touring and recording. He doesn't exactly take time off. Massive control freaks, and I say that in the nicest way because I'm a big fan of his, don't take that much time off.

I hope these Billy Corgan rumors are false...

Why?  Was Resistance Pro worse than TNA?

1. While Corgan has money, I don't think he can be pouring tens of millions into TNA, like the Carters did (fun fact: Bob Carter lost $40 million on TNA even before signing Hogan and Bischoff)

2. Wrestling's obviously just a hobby; he's a musician. He'll be too busy touring and recording to give TNA his full attention

3. Running a small indy and a national promotion with international presence are two different things entirely.

Not to mention, any sensible business manager would strongly advise against it once they got a proper look at TNA's books.

You must not be much of a Billy Corgan fan. ;) Before this year, I think the Pumpkins only played a handful of shows, most of them festival dates. And from 2007 to now, he's only released one album. That's 7 years in between albums, and he doesn't tour all that much honestly. And I guarantee you, 100%, that TNA would make Corgan more money than his last album/tour did. This isn't the 90s, I don't think too many people are clamoring to hear Corgan & Random Friends play old Pumpkins songs and read his crappy poetry books.

This isn't entirely true. Corgan has been fairly busy. Corgan and a bunch of others contributed on an album, or set of albums, called Teargarden. The name of the band escapes me. Then the Pumpkins, sans Jimmy Chamberlain, released Oceania, and they have another album scheduled for release in December. He does all of this while touring and recording. He doesn't exactly take time off. Massive control freaks, and I say that in the nicest way because I'm a big fan of his, don't take that much time off.

Teargarden by Kaleidyscope was a Smashing Pumpkins album, Oceania had songs from the Teargarden project on it. :P

He doesn't exactly take time off. Massive control freaks, and I say that in the nicest way because I'm a big fan of his, don't take that much time off.

Seems like he's got good attributes to run a wrestling company.

That indy Corgan runs in Chicago's going over well, isn't it, he says sarcastically. 

Also:

1. Smashing Pumpkins nerds gettin' ready to rumble all up in here over their favorite band's minutiae is the Internet equivalent of the Jimmy-Timmy cripple fight from South Park (I kid!)

2. Maybe the DVDVR Grand Theft Auto 5 online posse (represent~!) can team up and buy TNA with GTA 5 Online bucks when we get our reparations.

3. We need to start and spread an outlandish rumor over someone buying TNA to see if it gainis any traction at all within the fabled IWC. Let's see, who's very odd, but actually possible? Mickey Rourke's gonna buy it and make Randy the Ram the on-screen authority figure. Paul McCartney's gonna buy it 'cause he loved watching Big Daddy Shirley Crabtree when he was younger. Let your imaginations run wild.

That indy Corgan runs in Chicago's going over well, isn't it, he says sarcastically. 

Also:

1. Smashing Pumpkins nerds gettin' ready to rumble all up in here over their favorite band's minutiae is the Internet equivalent of the Jimmy-Timmy cripple fight from South Park (I kid!)

2. Maybe the DVDVR Grand Theft Auto 5 online posse (represent~!) can team up and buy TNA with GTA 5 Online bucks when we get our reparations.

3. We need to start and spread an outlandish rumor over someone buying TNA to see if it gainis any traction at all within the fabled IWC. Let's see, who's very odd, but actually possible? Mickey Rourke's gonna buy it and make Randy the Ram the on-screen authority figure. Paul McCartney's gonna buy it 'cause he loved watching Big Daddy Shirley Crabtree when he was younger. Let your imaginations run wild.

Posted Image

• Like 4

I will one day look back upon these days and laugh heartily. Billy Corgan? Eric Bischoff? The NY Mets? Ah TNA, you never fail to amuse me for all the wrong reasons.

You know what I want to see? "Tyler Perry's Impact Wrestling".

Before Panda bought TNA, they had a good history with investments. I'm sorry, but speculation that TNA would be anything other than complete disaster being funded by a money mark "Super fan" isn't supported by history. Everyone needs to get ready to say goodbye to the company they love to hate.

The fantasy booking in this thread is pretty interesting

- First things first you change the name.  Rumor has it that Bischoff & Hogan spearheaded the idea of rebranding it "IMPACT Wrestling" but Dixie felt the TNA name had too much cache to toss away, so you got the half-assed "TNA presents IMPACT Wrestling" or whatever nonsense, and it just confused people.  TNA is a stupid fucking name.  Always has been always will be.  Yeah, "TNA" has notoriety, it's notorious as the butt of jokes to wrestling fans.  IMPACT Wrestling (or the IWF as I'd brand it) is a fine name.

- Second, you're a niche product inside a niche industry.  Forget about trying to be the WWE, it will NEVER HAPPEN, and that shouldn't be your goal.  Focus on the things that wrestling fans want to see that WWE doesn't give them. 

- There's a lot of wrestling fans who want to see serious womens matches, a serious womens division, and to see women treated with respect as serious athletes.  Hell, this isn't just wrestling, society as a whole takes female athletics way more seriously than in the past, and it's the 21st century, gender equality isn't going away.  This is one of the few things TNA did really well at one point, and for whatever reason just stopped focusing on.  I would put a huge amount of effort and emphasis into the womens division.  There's enough talent out there to make the division really special.

- Gimmicks and VIOLENCE.  And I don't mean stupid fucking gimmicks like TNA is famous for, or juice just for the sake of it, or people falling off ladders through tables, but legit old school violent matches that are treated like the matter.  I saw a WWE clip recently where Shawn Michaels was just crimson mask covered in blood, and it was shocking to me because, well, it wasn't that long ago that you'd see something like that in WWE, but it feels like forever.  There are a lot of wrestling fans who want to see that sort of realism again.

- FOREIGN TALENT.  I've heard lipservice to the idea that WWE wants latino stars, but I don't see the proof in the pudding.  Their biggest hangup is having guys who speak english and have "the look".  I think Del Rio is a great worker, but we all know that's not why they hired him and pushed him like they have.  Newsflash....you don't have to speak English well or at all to get over.  Look at baseball.  Look at UFC.  Look at boxing.  Huge latino stars in those sports who barely speak english.  Have an interpreter for their interviews.  Who cares?!  If I was running a promotion one of the main things I'd do is find the best latino talent I could.  The luchadores got over big in WCW almost 20 years ago now! and most of them couldn't cut promos.  Yeah, I'd make it a point to have language coaches so guys could say basic stuff in English as needed, but it's really not a big deal.

Japan as well.  When Japanese guys are brought over and treated and pushed with respect, if they're good they get over.  Historically that is the case.  TNA hasn't pushed ONE Japanese guy well.  Not one.  WWE has a better track record, and that's saying something because their track record sucks.  TNA has had Tanahashi, Okada, No Limit, LIGER walk through their doors and not done shit with them.  There is amazing talent in Japan right now that would get super over in the US.  Use them.  Make relationships with Japanese promotions.

- Disassociate your identity from WWE as much as possible.  No more "WWE" guys on the roster.  If your name is associated with WWE you're out.  No more Mr. Andersons.  Angle I would just fire anyway because he's such a lunatic, but no more Kurt Angle.  No more Jeff Hardy.  Etc. etc.  ECW took off when they created their own stars, or reinvented people's careers.  They didn't trade off the fame that WWE or WCW gave someone, at least not the way TNA does.  When they did it was done in a way that put ECW and native talent over.  And eventually ECW as a brand was established, and they'd bring in guys from WCW or the WWF and it didn't feel like a shitty copy of what those companies did.

Those are my big things.  I think there is so much potential there for a company that does those things.  That's the kind of promotion I'd love to watch, and I feel like a lot of people out there would get behind it

• Like 6

Also, I'd get rid of F'n Taz and Mike Tenay.  Nothing against Tenay, he's just too associated with the stink of TNA at this point.  Whole new announce crew.

And as other people have said....NO MORE ON AIR AUTHORITY FIGURES.  Have a Tunney/Bockwinkel type president who steps in when absolutely needed.  Pattern yourself after real sports and have a Stern/Selig/Goodell type.  David Stern doesn't pop up on NBATV to announce he's booked a basketball game, or punish a disobedient team by having to play the Spurs.  Or try to create a Dana White type figure.  Just no more bullshit authority figures, it's beyond played out, and it's pathetic how they're just directly copying WWE right now trying to make Dixie into Stephanie McMahon.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even have a on-camera president, since the whole concept is so played out. I'd have a never-shown, never-named Board of Directors that the announcer refers to only when necessary. 

Wrestling booking should be simple: Let's say you have three champions - a world champ, tag team champs and a secondary champ. That's three feuds for the belts and three feuds for the no. 1 contendership for the belts. That's six right there. Then a couple of "I don't like you" grudges and you're golden.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just my hatred for TNA, but I was thinking as I read this thread that in 10 years TNA has yet to produce a single moment that I would consider memorable. Good matches? Sure, there have been some. But there is nothing that I have ever seen from TNA that sticks in my brain as "wow, that was amazing and I will never forget it" (at least in a positive way). WWE produces memorable moments at least a couple times a year. WCW used to do it. ECW did it for a while. TNA has just been an under-achiever since day one. 

Also one thing TNA needs to do: team up with local indy promotions for house shows. For example, when they roll into town throw a 6 man tag match featuring the local guys on as the second match. This gets the local promotions fanbase hyped about coming to see TNA. Heck, there are plenty of small time promotions that outdraw TNA already. Couldn't hurt, right?

I will one day look back upon these days and laugh heartily. Billy Corgan? Eric Bischoff? The NY Mets? Ah TNA, you never fail to amuse me for all the wrong reasons.

You know what I want to see? "Tyler Perry's Impact Wrestling".

I would so watch this on BET or TVOne if it led to the Big E Langston vs. Monty Brown finals of the world champiionship title tournament, but it would suck because David Mann (Leroy Brown) would end up being the fucking Special Guest Ref and the stip would be a "Madea's Purse On A Pole" match.

They did that when they came to my town about a year or so ago - the night opened with a match from the two top guys in the big local fed. I got in for free, but if I'd paid I would've been slightly irritated by it. I'm glad the guys got to work a match in the local big arena, but still...

Most of the people who are big enough wrestling fans to go see the local promotions are gonna go see TNA anyway.