DVDVR Message Board

The Fourth of Drew-ly - SDL - 7/3/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Riddle/Morrisson was really something although I think they way overdid it with the nearfalls and actually took it down a level for me. 

I liked most of the show but that Seamus/Hardy segment was pretty tasteless and just nothing I am interested in seeing more of.

Riddle/Morrison was mostly background noise for me. Of the parts I paid attention to some were strong while others felt off pace wise.

Dug the stuff with Bayley/Sasha  Alexa/Nikki.

Drew/AJ was nice.

Wasn't all there for Nakamura/Kofi, but what I saw was solid.

I skipped the Sheamus/Jeff segment.

So Cesaro has now feuded with the New Day as a part of how many regular tag teams? Is it just with Tyson Kidd, with Sheamus and now with Nakamura, or am i blanking on another partner he's had?

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

So Cesaro has now feuded with the New Day as a part of how many regular tag teams? Is it just with Tyson Kidd, with Sheamus and now with Nakamura, or am i blanking on another partner he's had?

He teamed with Jack Swagger as "The Real Americans" but I don't remember them feuding with New Day.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

IIRC, if I recall correctly, New Day beat Cesaro to win the tag titles in their record-breaking reign (or maybe it was just their first reign) and Cesaro beat the New Day to end their record reign.

And who can forget that Cesaro-Kofi B-Show match that helped him rightly secure his March Madness win. 

• Like 2

Sasha and Bayley's act is the best thing they've had in ages. They are wonderful at being terrible people. We all knew Bayley was a great babyface. But who the heck knew she had it in her to become an all-timer as a heel? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I liked AJ and Gulak for what we got.  It had a nice finish too with AJ being a little sadistic there at the end. 

The women's segment and then following match was enjoyable.  

Did anyone catch Sasha's Undertaker eye roll back into her head thing?   lol

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I liked AJ and Gulak for what we got.  It had a nice finish too with AJ being a little sadistic there at the end. 

The women's segment and then following match was enjoyable.  

Did anyone catch Sasha's Undertaker eye roll back into her head thing?   lol

Not on Smackdown as I haven't watched it yet. I posted a picture of possessed Sasha Banks in the July Pictures Thread yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamal said:

lol I’m also enjoying Alexa Bliss far more as a face again. 

I really disliked Alexa singles runs.  Moreso because of how strongly she got pushed to the detriment of most of the women's division.  And I really didn't expect to like her as a face.  She's generally shown a lot more heel charisma than babyface.  Her babyface run in NXT was just sorta there.  But, yeah, the Bliss/Cross odd couple tag team is really fun.  Was one of my favorite angles before the crowdless shows started.

I really have trouble connecting with anything the WWE is doing right now.  As Meltzer keeps saying, the lack of crowds make it impossible to tell what is getting over and what isn't.  I kinda feel like I'm watching rehearsals instead of real shows.  Nothing seems to have a lot of weight and it makes it hard to get behind new characters.  I kinda feel like Vince is just filling time and the moment we have live shows again (ha!), Vince will do a skit where Roman Reigns wakes up and realizes the previous however many months were just a dream.  I kinda wish he'd hold off on pulling the trigger on new characters and title changes, but it will probably be six months and likely a lot more before he can start running before crowds again, and spinning his wheels isn't good for business. 

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 2

I think Bliss is working better as a face now, because she still has some edge to her from her heel run, and her character is more fleshed out than in her “pixie cheerleader” NXT run. For example her chin on hands pose is done more to mock her opponents than in NXT when it was just a taunt. 

I agree about having a hard time connecting with what they (or AEW) are doing because a lot of it does feel like filler. That said, I think they should lean pretty heavily into new stuff, because trotting out Dolph Ziggler and Braun Strowman is definitely making it harder to connect with than giving Otis the briefcase, pushing Crews seriously, or letting Sasha/Bayley run loose on all three shows.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 2:25 PM, JonnyLaw said:

IIRC, if I recall correctly, New Day beat Cesaro to win the tag titles in their record-breaking reign (or maybe it was just their first reign) and Cesaro beat the New Day to end their record reign.

And who can forget that Cesaro-Kofi B-Show match that helped him rightly secure his March Madness win. 

Without doubt the greatest March Madness tournament of all time.

#conflictcocoa

• Thanks 1