DVDVR Message Board

NXT: THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH XX - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

What was even the point of Scarlett showing the hourglass (running down) to Cole a few weeks ago? Did Kross use his powers of clairvoyance to bet on Cole losing the title and win a shitload of money? Maybe Cross has one of those sports entertainment almanacs from the future handy. 

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

What was even the point of Scarlett showing the hourglass (running down) to Cole a few weeks ago? Did Kross use his powers of clairvoyance to bet on Cole losing the title and win a shitload of money? Maybe Cross has one of those sports entertainment almanacs from the future handy. 

Eh the hourglass was crushed later by Lee. It was Cross letting Cole know his time was coming only for Lee to get there first. Ever since that happened their attention in the background has actually been on Lee.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Eh the hourglass was crushed later by Lee. It was Cross letting Cole know his time was coming only for Lee to get there first. Ever since that happened their attention in the background has actually been on Lee.

I missed that segment. That's what I get for never going back and watching whichever show I don't tune into on Wednesday nights. 

Whoever is making these vignettes needs a raise, especially coming up with Io's underwater lair.

So does Lee relinquish the NA title.  Setting up a tournament to crown a new champion seems like a no brainer to carry NXT tv till Summerslam Takeover or whatever equivalent they're coming up with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fuck, that main was long. Good on Lee though. First step to the rest of the belts. 

The only thing that caught my eye while I was dicking around on here and the Gargano match was playing was OF COURSE him doing a Poisoned Rana on the floor. The one thing that makes me want to strangle Ohtani and El Samurai (I think, or was it Liger/Samurai?) for coming up with the goddamned move in the first place, and instantly hate the match and the wrestlers involved. 

Always happy to see the Fashion Police, and Spud being back. Who are King Cuerno's partners? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

I love Adam Cole, but he was WAY overdue to lose the title and Lee is the best person to drop it to. I'm so fucking happy we didn't have to endure months of Lee losing to Cole for Lee to finally win. I'm not a fan of that kind of storytelling in wrestling and I think it's a little overdone these days. It's why I was so happy with Mox beating Jericho in their first meeting and I'm so happy with Lee beating Cole. As for their match, eh, it was fine. I didn't think it was anything that blew me away, but I was almost happy to see them NOT use the HHH/HBK epic match layout for it.

Honestly, as much as I like Drew Mac, we should have had Lee winning the Rumble and then beating Brock to make an instant star.

Now my fear is that Lee is just going to be a transitional champion and Kross is going to win it soon.

I felt the same way about swapping Keith into Drew’s spot. The moment he entered the Rumble I said to my mom that if they’re smart they’ll let Keith win, and then beat Brock at Mania to make him their main guy for years to come. Once he got eliminated I was happy with Drew winning, but I still think Keith Lee was the obvious/better choice.

Plus from a marketing point of view it seems like there’s more money to be made in bask in my glory or limitless leegion merch than there is claymore country stuff. Then again in my opinion Drew gives off badass vibes, but Keith Lee is someone that can also come across as cool and charming while still making it obvious he could literally rip your head off if you angered him. 

I truly (want to) believe that NXT intentionally Mick Foley-ed the Keith Lee title win so that fans would stick around for the duration of a match that WWE already knew was long and underwhelming.

giphy.gif

I say this while being completely willing to admit that Io/Sasha was the best match from either GAB or FF.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

And even with the main event they had one overly cute spot I hated. When Keith Lee hit the first Spirit Bomb, and Adam Cole glances at the ropes then right as the ref goes to count 3 he reaches out with one finger, and smiles like a fool. That was totally asinine and took me out of the match for a minute.  

Man, I cannot agree more about that finger rope break.  That was super frustrating.

• Thanks 1

Ech44yGXkAAZjH9?format=jpg&name=small

Ecfcvd0WkAAAT0v?format=jpg&name=small

Keith Lee, the new NXT Champion and NXT North American Champion. Congratulations. So glad Adam Cole's year long reign with the NXT Championship has ended. Needed to sooner.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Fuck, that main was long. Good on Lee though. First step to the rest of the belts. 

i was actually surprised to look at the clock and see that it started that late in the show.  If this match was on a Takeover, you know it would have gone another 15 minutes.  

The really funny thing on commentary was them trying to convince people that Adam Cole's knee to the back of the head was this devastating maneuver.  NOBODY KICKS OUT OF THAT MOVE.  I could have sworn in every Cole vs Gargano match that move would be kicked out at least 2 or 3 times.  

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

i was actually surprised to look at the clock and see that it started that late in the show.  If this match was on a Takeover, you know it would have gone another 15 minutes.  

The really funny thing on commentary was them trying to convince people that Adam Cole's knee to the back of the head was this devastating maneuver.  NOBODY KICKS OUT OF THAT MOVE.  I could have sworn in every Cole vs Gargano match that move would be kicked out at least 2 or 3 times.  

It also always looks like god damned crap. How the man does a Canadian Destroyer with implausibly stupid setup as more a setup and THAT as a finisher is the dumbest shit.

• Like 1

Now I want Lee to team up with Swerve and win the tag belts.

Between now and Takeover: Royal Rumble the story is about Lee having to wrestle 3 times a night and how it might wear him down.

First he drops the the fall in a tag title defence, having already retained the NA title that night.

Then Swerve gets pissed and goes after that same NA title.

Finally, Lee drops the NXT title to Kross at Takeover: Rumble, then wins the Rumble and beats Drew at Mania for the WWE Championship.

On 7/9/2020 at 10:17 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The only thing that caught my eye while I was dicking around on here and the Gargano match was playing was OF COURSE him doing a Poisoned Rana on the floor. The one thing that makes me want to strangle Ohtani and El Samurai (I think, or was it Liger/Samurai?) for coming up with the goddamned move in the first place, and instantly hate the match and the wrestlers involved. 

On 7/9/2020 at 10:23 PM, Godfrey said:

I think it was Kanemoto and Samurai and I totally agree with you.

I hate that move. Banishment with the Diving Headbutt.

Edited by The Natural

Something that's bothered me about both Fyter Fest and GAB is the billing of "Night One" and "Night Two". I guess that's correct in a sense, but to me the usage of those phrases indicates a back-to-back two night event, not separated by a week. Anyways.

I only watched Mia Yim vs. Candice LeRae and Mercedes Martinez vs. Santana Garrett, because I only care about the women's division in NXT.

• Man, I hate heel Candice, good lord. It's just not right. But it was a fun match, I'm a sucker for "garbage" matches like hardcore/No DQ, falls count anywhere, etc. I love the attention to detail in Mia wearing some fuckin' Timbs to a fight. Desus & Mero would be proud. I watched this a few days ago, so I barely remember anything, but the top rope twisting neckbreaker onto a stack of chairs was niiiice.
  • Mercedes/Santana was just a squash to show off Mercedes, but it was effective. The only thing I remember about this was the finish, and Mauro saying something about Santana's father being one of the more famous non-WWF wrestlers or something. Which prompted me to look him up, and I've never heard of him.

NXT continues to suck me into watching their product, with the promise of Io vs Tegan next (this) week. Fucking hell.

• Like 1