DVDVR Message Board

NXT: THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH XX - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

When it comes to Io's NXT run, I'm surprised nobody has brought up her TakeOver match vs Candice. I remember there being a lot of high praise going around at the time. 

That was fucking awesome. Her entrance gave me goosebumps. The way she came out with her music thumping like that and the whole presentation I thought, she is going to be a huge star if they don't fuck this up.

And the match was great too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think that got enough time.  I agree that it was a good match for sure but wasn't it right around 12 minutes?  I wanted to see 15 at least 

Was around 10 minutes, and because of that the two of them let loose from the getgo. I haven't really seen Io try that again with anyone else quite yet.

18 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

When it comes to Io's NXT run, I'm surprised nobody has brought up her TakeOver match vs Candice. I remember there being a lot of high praise going around at the time. 

I think Io has had a fair share of pretty good matches and performances. She just hasn't really been set up for a great match yet singles wise. 

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

That was fucking awesome. Her entrance gave me goosebumps. The way she came out with her music thumping like that and the whole presentation I thought, she is going to be a huge star if they don't fuck this up.

And the match was great too.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Guys it don't matter. We all have our preferences. I remember the board loving Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk and I thought the match was mostly dumb. It happens 

I liked Brock Lesanr vs. CM Punk but not to the extent others do which is fair enough. John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan from the same show, SummerSlam 2013 is so much better. Ditto Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart over Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels' Ladder match at WrestleMania X.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

ADAM COLE TO AEW CONFIRMED ~!

But I thought when I mentioned it last week he’s supposedly not free for another year? ? 

Now I’m off to actually watch this since I watched Dynamite live (I knew the main event result here, and while I love Keith Lee I wanted to see Dynamite since I didn’t know their results).

I haven’t watched the match yet, but I like the outcome.  Cole has been overdue to lose, and Lee has been overdue to be crowned as The Guy for the promotion.  Hopefully, this will lead to freshening up NXT.

• Like 2

I've realised another way that the empty arena Covid era is an improvement over having crowds: Adam Cole's entrance. The plants are at least willing to boo him throughout, unlike the Full Sail marks who couldn't resist showing off just how inside they were by going "Boom!" and "Adam Cole Baybay!" in perfect sync with the supposedly most hated heel in the company.

• Like 1

Mia/Candice did little for me. Something about these two against each other just doesn't work well whenever I see it.

Gargano/Swerve was good and another match that makes me wonder why they haven't actually done anything with Swerve as a character yet.

Mercedes re-debut was decent if maybe a bit much on her no selling Santana at times.

El Legado del Fantasma vs. Drake/Breezango was solid.

Lee/Cole was about what I expected. Lee on offense was good. Whenever it came around to Cole it fell a little flat to me. Lee taking the Panama Sunrise was just dumbass and unnecessary. I'm just happy Lee is finally champ. It really should have happened 3-6 months ago, but I'm just happy to see it done now. Only thing that worries me is Karrion Kross. This is a match that really shouldn't be happening this soon as a loss will hurt and undercut one of them.

EDIT: Also did anyone else laugh at the tale of the tapes pic claiming Cole to be 6' and 210 lbs?

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I’ll admit this is definitely a week where I preferred AEW. I thought the Shotzi segment was hilarious, Swerve/Gargano was better than I expected as I thought it would be more slow and boring (because of Johnny not Swerve ?), and of course the main event was great. 

But everything else felt like it was just kind of there. And even with the main event they had one overly cute spot I hated. When Keith Lee hit the first Spirit Bomb, and Adam Cole glances at the ropes then right as the ref goes to count 3 he reaches out with one finger, and smiles like a fool. That was totally asinine and took me out of the match for a minute. 

Plus as Eivion said I’m not sure Takeover Summerslam weekend is the time for either Keith Lee or Karrion Kross to be eating a pin. The main roster could badly use Keith, but having him lose that soon after winning the title would be silly. I’d rather they have Kross eat the pin, and call him up. He could work well opposite Drew on Raw. 

Only match I saw was the street fight which I thought was good.  I had to laugh when they were at the snack table somebody yelled "Anything but the cookies!"  While Mia was selling I think I saw her laughing at that as well.  To add to MavsFan77's point I thought the matches in the middle were too thrown together for me to care watching them.   Yeah, they did something last week to try and make me care but it didn't have much of a reason to start with.  So unfortunately I skipped them and just saw who won.  I did like Stone's segment with Shotzi and Killian though, that guy brings the comedic goods.

But even if the show was mostly thrown together it doesn't matter since Keith Lee won.  In the end that's all that matters and I'm really happy to see him win.  The guy is really, really great and the more I find out about how he is as a person the more I love him.  I hope he holds onto it for awhile but not sure what's gonna happen with Kross.

I also  hope that's it for Adam Cole as far as big matches go.  I liked him a lot in NXT but it's definitely time for him to get away from Shawn-produced matches and go elsewhere.  I don't know about Raw or SD but am trying to see how he would fit in in AEW.  I think the latter option works better but it depends on what he decides when his contract's done.

• Thanks 1

It's been awhile since I laughed as hard during a wrestling show as I did last night for the Robert Stone segment, especially the stuff during the commercial break where it took FIVE PEOPLE to lift that little thing off of him. I had tears rolling down my face. All played their parts perfectly for that one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hell yeah, Keith Lee! It's about time. He's the future of the company as far as I'm concerned, especially now that he's parsing out his high flying a little better, so if he won the Rumble and we got Lee/McIntyre at the next Mania I might actually buy it. Main roster booking aside, give me Lee/Bryan, Lee/Cesaro, Lee/everyone. I just wish that sing song chant wasn't a thing.

Gargano matches are way too cute for me. I can get into them a little when he's facing the right opponent but that wasn't this night. Swerve has something, I'd like to see him work with a bigger opponent since he's been doing very similar 205 matches for a while now.

Legado del Fantasma rules. I'm so in on this group. King Cuerno was always my guy in Lucha Underground and I'm glad he's getting a serious run in NXT since you never know how that will go.

Also great to see Mercedes Martinez again.

Guest Edwin

Edit: Nah.

Am happy Cole lost and am hoping he and TUE move on to RAW o SD and we get somewhat of a refresh from them in NXT, although I wouldn't mind Strong sticking around and the other 3 moving on up, but of course this is just going to turn into ADAM COLE TO AEW CONFIRMED!

Edited by Edwin

I love Adam Cole, but he was WAY overdue to lose the title and Lee is the best person to drop it to. I'm so fucking happy we didn't have to endure months of Lee losing to Cole for Lee to finally win. I'm not a fan of that kind of storytelling in wrestling and I think it's a little overdone these days. It's why I was so happy with Mox beating Jericho in their first meeting and I'm so happy with Lee beating Cole. As for their match, eh, it was fine. I didn't think it was anything that blew me away, but I was almost happy to see them NOT use the HHH/HBK epic match layout for it.

Honestly, as much as I like Drew Mac, we should have had Lee winning the Rumble and then beating Brock to make an instant star.

Now my fear is that Lee is just going to be a transitional champion and Kross is going to win it soon.

• Thanks 1