DVDVR Message Board

NXT: THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH XX - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Maybw the NXT rating picked up because the RAW rating is dropping, and it's WWE die-hards refusing to watch the three hour borefest but not being willing to give up on the company's product altogether?

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Maybw the NXT rating picked up because the RAW rating is dropping, and it's WWE die-hards refusing to watch the three hour borefest but not being willing to give up on the company's product altogether?

Shouldn’t Smackdown be doing better numbers using that logic? And maybe NXT is improving in the ratings, because the show is actually really good. But that’s not possible right? It’s got to be something other than the most obvious answer.

• Like 1

Since we're splitting hairs about the effect main roster talent has had on NXT ratings, where do we stand on Finn Balor? Difference maker or just another guy? 

He hasn't had a lot of main event level matches, but when he's been booked on that level:

• November 27: Balor vs Ciampa main events, NXT posts 810k vs 663k
  • December 11: Balor wins triple threat over Ciampa and Lee, only tie of the war at 778k
  • December 18: Duel main event show opens with Balor vs Cole, 795k to 683k
  • June 24: Balor loses in main event vs Lee and Gargano, 786k to 633k

The demos are what they are. But in terms of total viewership, that's a good look for Balor. Between him and Sasha, popular, underutilized main roster talent getting a chance to let loose on NXT and meet some pent up demand could be a decent recipe for success. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Since we're splitting hairs about the effect main roster talent has had on NXT ratings, where do we stand on Finn Balor? Difference maker or just another guy? 

He hasn't had a lot of main event level matches, but when he's been booked on that level:

• November 27: Balor vs Ciampa main events, NXT posts 810k vs 663k
  • December 11: Balor wins triple threat over Ciampa and Lee, only tie of the war at 778k
  • December 18: Duel main event show opens with Balor vs Cole, 795k to 683k
  • June 24: Balor loses in main event vs Lee and Gargano, 786k to 633k

The demos are what they are. But in terms of total viewership, that's a good look for Balor. Between him and Sasha, popular, underutilized main roster talent getting a chance to let loose on NXT and meet some pent up demand could be a decent recipe for success. 

Definitely a difference maker, and one that NXT should rely on more often. I don’t see any reason he shouldn’t main event at least once a month (like both Keith Lee and Io should too). 

I get he’s on the smaller side, but I think a match with him and Karrion Kross could definitely deliver a good rating for sure. 

7 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Finn isn't next up in the feud against whoever wins next week's title match. 

I think booking him against whoever wins next week as the main event for the Summerslam weekend Takeover would be smart. Then they can build to the winner of that vs Karrion Kross for the October or Survivor Series weekend Takeover.

Having watched the show, why was Lorcan vs Thatcher so short and Loomis vs Strong so long? Because the one match was really good, but could have been great with a few more minutes. Whilst the other was just dull, but might have been less dull if they'd compressed things a bit more.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure I would put the falls count anywhere match in Charlotte's top ten, let alone as her best. Its honestly a bit of a disservice to Charlotte to call it that when she had way better performances against Rousey, Rhea, & Becky. I'd ranked the Sasha/Becky HIAC about even with the Evolution match Becky had with Charlotte. There is no case for Sasha having Asuka's best match, like not even in the slightest.

Ronda best match was with Sasha

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Ronda best match was with Sasha

I didn't say anything about what Ronda's best match was. That said, I prefer the Charlotte match by a decent margin. It was more intense, dramatic, and worked a different style from the norm. I like both matches a good deal, but I don't really think the Sasha match was quite on the same level.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I didn't say anything about what Ronda's best match was. That said, I prefer the Charlotte match by a decent margin. It was more intense, dramatic, and worked a different style from the norm. I like both matches a good deal, but I don't really think the Sasha match was quite on the same level.

The Ronda/Sasha match told a story behind the limb work and submission work and both women attempted new strategies against a fresh opponent.  The Charlotte/Ronda match wasn't a bad slug fest but Sasha/Ronda smokes it... 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure I would put the falls count anywhere match in Charlotte's top ten, let alone as her best. Its honestly a bit of a disservice to Charlotte to call it that when she had way better performances against Rousey, Rhea, & Becky. I'd ranked the Sasha/Becky HIAC about even with the Evolution match Becky had with Charlotte. There is no case for Sasha having Asuka's best match, like not even in the slightest.

I disagree with you that Charlotte Flair had better performances vs. Rousey, Rhea and Becky. You have a case for Sasha/Becky HIAC or Becky/Charlotte at Evolution as Becky's best. I preferred the Hell in a Cell match. I stand by Asuka's best main roster match was vs. Sasha Banks. I liked some of the Asuka/Charlotte matches but some of those are tainted to me because Charlotte won when she shouldn't have, WrestleMania XXXIV the key one. There are other matches when Charlotte went over and it was the wrong call. If I'm honest, tainted my opinion on those.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

So, help me, I really liked the Roddy-Lumis match, which is weird because I've never really been a fan of either before.  I really liked the early strap spots they did, and thought there was some pretty creative use of the strap that I hadn't seen before (I can't remember the first one but the second one I liked was Lumis pulling Roderick into the apron from inside the ring).

Can't believe the Canadian feed cut the Lorcan-Thatcher match which I was looking forward to more than anything else on the show.

Do you folks in the US get the same little bumpers we get up here which are just 30 seconds or so highlighting certain wrestlers, or is it just the Canadian one?  There was one for Shirai with Mauro yelling "The Joshi Judas!" while they showed highlights, and another for the UE with footage of their matches cut with their theme music.  I actually really like this, but suspect they are just used to pad out the editing to get it to an hour length in Canada.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I disagree with you that Charlotte Flair had better performances vs. Rousey, Rhea and Becky. You have a case for Sasha/Becky HIAC or Becky/Charlotte at Evolution as Becky's best. I preferred the Hell in a Cell match. I stand by Asuka's best main roster match was vs. Sasha Banks. I liked some of the Asuka/Charlotte matches but some of those are tainted to me because Charlotte won when she shouldn't have, WrestleMania XXXIV the key one. There are other matches when Charlotte went over and it was the wrong call. If I'm honest, tainted my opinion on those.

I can't agree with this at all. Charlotte improved after that Sasha match over the years and brought a lot more to the table in those previously mentioned matches. Also as much as I like the FCA match its not even the best Sasha/Charlotte match to me. Asuka's matches with Becky were than the Sasha match. Asuka also had way better matches with Ember and Nikki back in NXT. To rate the Sasha match that highly is really underselling all of those women as performers. With Charlotte I can't help but think her booking has hurt her work in your eyes in general and not just with those Asuka matches.

Edited by Eivion

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

I can't agree with this at all. Charlotte improved after that Sasha match over the years and brought a lot more to the table in those previously mentioned matches. Also as much as I like the FCA match its not even the best Sasha/Charlotte match to me. Asuka's matches with Becky were than the Sasha match. Asuka also had way better matches with Ember and Nikki back in NXT. To rate the Sasha match that highly is really underselling all of those women as performers. With Charlotte I can't help but think her booking has hurt her work in your eyes in general and not just with those Asuka matches.

I think when he was commenting on Asuka matches he just meant main roster matches. If he’d meant in general I’d agree with you that her best match in WWE as a whole would be in NXT vs Ember. Even if they never did the smart thing, and put the belt on Ember (especially in hindsight since jobbing Asuka to Charlotte at Mania was the completely wrong call for her first loss).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

I think when he was commenting on Asuka matches he just meant main roster matches. If he’d meant in general I’d agree with you that her best match in WWE as a whole would be in NXT vs Ember. Even if they never did the smart thing, and put the belt on Ember (especially in hindsight since jobbing Asuka to Charlotte at Mania was the completely wrong call for her first loss).

Ah, missed that. I'm still annoyed Ember didn;t bet Asuka in that final match. I don't think Asuka losing to Charlotte was an issue. There was no where interesting her character could go with the steak intact. It was just moronic to not turn her into a painted up crazed version of herself over the loss.

• Like 2

Ah, missed that. I'm still annoyed Ember didn;t bet Asuka in that final match. I don't think Asuka losing to Charlotte was an issue. There was no where interesting her character could go with the steak intact. It was just moronic to not turn her into a painted up crazed version of herself over the loss.

She should have gotten her win back a lot sooner. Instead she toiled in the mid card for a really long time.

That said, it's great that Asuka, sasha and bayley are getting to run wild now lol

• Like 3

I agree completely on the have Ember win the final match comment. That’s the only outcome that could have made sense to any rational person. 

I know this will get me some hate too, but I’d honestly expected Asuka to beat Charlotte, then have Charlotte pull a Ric Flair and attack Asuka immediately after the loss. Take her knee out or something, then have Carmella run as fast as humanly possible to the ring, and cash in the briefcase (instead of doing it on Smackdown that week). It would have made Mella look like an opportunist, and given a reason to book Asuka vs Charlotte again at the next PPV or move Asuka to Raw thus splitting her away from Charlotte and Carmella. 

If they were hellbent on having Charlotte win then your choice was the best option. Turn Asuka heel, and give her the face paint then. 

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She should have gotten her win back a lot sooner. Instead she toiled in the mid card for a really long time.

That said, it's great that Asuka, sasha and bayley are getting to run wild now lol

18 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I agree completely on the have Ember win the final match comment. That’s the only outcome that could have made sense to any rational person. 

I know this will get me some hate too, but I’d honestly expected Asuka to beat Charlotte, then have Charlotte pull a Ric Flair and attack Asuka immediately after the loss. Take her knee out or something, then have Carmella run as fast as humanly possible to the ring, and cash in the briefcase (instead of doing it on Smackdown that week). It would have made Mella look like an opportunist, and given a reason to book Asuka vs Charlotte again at the next PPV or move Asuka to Raw thus splitting her away from Charlotte and Carmella. 

If they were hellbent on having Charlotte win then your choice was the best option. Turn Asuka heel, and give her the face paint then. 

I always thought Asuka should have basically turned into what she is now post streak loss and then go on to beat Charlotte at whatever the next ppv was back then. Carmella should have never won the belt. I like her, but she just did not have the skill or momentum for it then.

I think it would have been an interesting story for Charlotte if she failed to end the streak on her first attempt at WrestleMania. Vince's obsession with Charlotte as the big boss any rising star can't beat in the first head-to-head matchup is rather boring, and Rhea Ripley is still in limbo after falling victim to this particular trope. That's even if Charlotte returned the favor to the rising stars, which she never really did against Asuka and isn't going to do for Ripley. 

I don't remember exactly when Charlotte found out about the issues with her implants, but since she ended up having to go away for all those months, that could have been played up as using/needing extra time to prepare herself to finally be the one to end the streak at Summerslam. I agree that is an awful lot of extra time to drag out the streak even further, but then again did anybody picture Bayley's current title reign lasting this long? As long as they would have committed to Charlotte finally ending the streak in a rematch at Summerslam and built up a few interesting challengers for Asuka until Summerslam, things would have worked out fine. 

• Like 2

Agreed in that I wish Thatcher/Lorcan could have had more time. Damnit but I just love that style of match up. 

Bayley is doing some of the best character work in the company imo with her soccer mom look. The over the topness of her actions just gets better and better week by week. I want this version of her staying around for another year or two, selfishly crossing my fingers for that one. 

Sasha/Io was fantastic, love to see them rematch again with more time to let them have a real showcase of a battle

• Like 1

I finally got around to watching Io/Sasha tonight, and I thought it was just alright.  First half up until Io’s springboard dropkick was really good, but things got dicey after that.  If Sasha has a major weakness in the ring, it’s that she can be a bit overly ambitious; she always lays out these really intricate counter sequences that she either can’t execute cleanly or just botches completely.  There was a lot of that in the back half of this match.  And then the finish was just...whatever.  Kinda disappointing overall, I guess.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

she always lays out these really intricate counter sequences that she either can’t execute cleanly or just botches completely.  

Didn't see any of this in the match. What sequence are you talking about?  Match was great and other than one spot where Io threw Sasha and Sasha rotated too far on the throw everything else was perfectly executed.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1